KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Cigna
Engaged Employer

Express Scripts

Add a Review

Express Scripts Employee Reviews about "express scripts"

Updated Sep 6, 2021

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and PTO.(in 356 reviews)
  • "The only pro I can think of is we had a union from when we were Medco so we had good pay because of that(in 214 reviews)
  • "Management is very supportive not a micor management work place which is good when you work from home.(in 145 reviews)
  • "Great people in 'the trenches' who are dedicated and want to 'do the right thing.'(in 143 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and was an overall pleasant atmosphere.(in 60 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Express Scripts and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "express scripts"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A chance to be a change agent in improving healthcare in the US

Jun 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working for Express Scripts is an opportunity to actually make a difference in improve the quality and cost of healthcare in the US. I finish every day knowing that I accomplished something important. Is it a challenging environment? Absolutely. But that challenge is what keeps us on our toes and doing our best work. Overall, I work for kind people who are fair and always providing positive feedback. They have a personal life and are supportive when my personal life (i.e. kids, family) need my attention. During Super Storm Sandy, by boss was the first to call me to see if I was ok. And I had only been working for him for 6 months. I miss my Medco colleagues, and adjusting to a new work culture from afar has been hard. But Express Scripts is a good place with good people who are all working to make the cost of health care more affordable for patients and payers.

Cons

Being a remote employee, I do not feel as if there are as many growth opportunities as there were before the merger. While frustrating, I don't believe the grass would be "greener" elsewhere. I earn a fair salary, I have good benefits for my family and my retirement, and I have a good work/life balance.

Express Scripts Response

Talent Acquisition Representative

We appreciate your detailed review and the work you’ve done at Express Scripts. We think that one benefit of working for a rapidly growing company is the opportunity to be on the leading edge of industry trends and to see firsthand the impact you make for patients and clients. Your situation also highlights our flexible work situations, emphasis on personal workplace connections, and dedication to work-life balance. We understand the unique challenges inherent to remote employees, and your comments will help us strengthen our communication and connection with employees like you.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Hard work but completely fufilled by helping others!

Dec 30, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of working at Express Scripts is the common demoninator in all of the work you do everyday results in helping people get their medications. Its an innovative culture that requires you to collaborate and learn everyday with your team and internal partners. There is a lot of room for advancement as the company continues to grow and they foster the growth of their employees who display passion for what they do. They do require a lot of time & hard work of their employees, however, they offer work from home programs within many teams and promote advancement within the organization. Express Scripts offers a very aggressive bonus structure that rewards efforts and outcomes of the entire organization.

Cons

Its a world of continuous improvement at Express Scripts and with that comes consistent change and learning. You must have a passion for improvment and change or else it can be overwhelming along with keeping up with healthcare reform. It can all be very demanding!

Express Scripts Response

Talent Acquisition Representative

Thank you for your review. Each day we make a meaningful impact in the lives of millions of patients. It’s an awesome responsibility – one that all of us are proud to be a part of. Thank you for also being a part of that mission.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Medco Employee.. Was great till Express bought us

Dec 31, 2013 - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

could work from home. bonus was good if you worked yourself to death

Cons

after being purchased by express scripts this company became more sales driven and not so much customer service related. Micromanaged by supervisor that have very little experience. received 4 monitored calls at 100% with many awards and yet was fired for 'below standard' work...this was due to being vocal about the new sales related work that was mandatory. management does not want to hear our opinion. worked there 7 years was fired by a sup who had 1.5 years total.

9 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Terrible company

Apr 16, 2015 - PCA and RTL in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is relatively good and you learn useful information about how the prescription insurance world operates.

Cons

Express Scripts is the dollar store of the PBM industry and they treat their employees no better than their members and clients. They do NOT emphasize customer service rater making the call quick. You will get marked down more on a call by upsetting the member then you would giving inaccurate information. So it is advantageous to lie to a member so they don't get mad. I was originally trained by Medco Health before the merger, and couldn't stomach Express Scripts' lack of ethics.

11 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Representative Beware

Sep 18, 2016 - PCA/RTL in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started in the Company when it was Medco Health Solutions and then sold to Express Scripts. 10+ year employee. The original training was excellent. Holiday/Vacation Pay/PTO/ Sometimes OT a plus. When there was a building, you could make great friends with coworkers. Good insurance and benefits package.

Cons

After the buy out Las Vegas was the Step Child, even though we were the best trained team in the company. Pay/Insurance/Vacation/Time Bank/OT/Paid Holidays were great until the Buy Out. After Buy Out we still had these things but higher premiums, deductibles, etc., Vacation time was shortened and it wasn't separate from PTO. We had to work 1600 hours in a year, previously, to get our next years vacation time, when we rolled into 2015, all we worked for was dropped so we rolled into 2015 with no Vacation/PTO and then it accrued weekly. Pay was also reduced if you stayed with the company. New hire pay is about 12.50 p/h but very low annual raise %. No real respect for employees or members. Cut the call as short as possible. If you helped the member good but if not make them think you did and say it nice. If a call took anytime to resolve (usually less trained PCS giving out wrong info or complicated Ins the members didn't understand contributed to this) you were given demerits, if you tried to resolve issues properly, if it took more than 5 minutes. This caused you to loose your bonus. The CEO (George Paz) was not a person who cared if there was quality attention to the members. Remember this is a Prescription Benefit Management Co, getting people their medicine. I hope the new CEO has a different outlook.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love it here

Aug 11, 2017 - Client Service Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Express scripts is working every day to be more employee friendly and making sure employees feel appreciated and valued.

Cons

It's a large company so some roles can really begin to feel like you're just a number and it's hard to get noticed. It gets better though!

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pharmacy tech

May 5, 2014 - Pharmacy Technician in Whitestown, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers from Medco. Money and benefits were okay. Very clean and always felt safe at the location. I liked not having to work in the city,

Cons

The company went down so much when they became express scripts.. Don't care about their employees or customers just finances.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Experience with Express Scripts

Oct 23, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Express Scripts is a large Prescription Benefit Manager (PBM) that is a leader in the industry. They are very profitable due to streamlining their processes without sacrificing client or member satisfaction. The infrastructure across the organization seems to be well organized and the corporate culture is professional and employees strive for excellence.

Cons

Salaries appear to be slightly lower than industry standards, possibily because corporate center is located in St. Louis, MO. Response time is sometimes slow, depending on what functional area is involved. Legal and regulatory questions/issues seem to take a quite a while to to resolve.