ExpressJet Airlines Reviews

• Part-time
2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Terry Vais

Pros
  • Flight Benefits are pretty decent (in 37 reviews)

• Great travel benefits when you can use them (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours - low pay - favoritism - (in 14 reviews)

• Flight attendants arent treated like adults there (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company that helps their employees."

Current Employee - Airline First Officer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Airline First Officer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ExpressJet Airlines full-time

Pros

I have found XJT to be a helpful company with training, doing what it takes to get you full trained and ready to pass your type ride and fly the line. It surprised me at first but was very glad for it. XJT then did something for me that impressed me more than most companies have in a long time. They treated me like a person. I was based in Detroit. My Mom was diagnosed with cancer and not long after my father passed away unexpectedly. Though I did not have the seniority to bid back to Atlanta yet (where my family is) the company went well out of their way to get me back to my family so I could take care of my Mom. It was a huge step and not one that benefitted the company other than to help an employee. That isn't something you see often anymore in these times of "its about the corporate dollar". Very refreshing and truly like a family.

Cons

Like all regionals the starting pay is low, so far that is all I can say that I wish I could change.

Advice to Management

Please continue remembering where you came from and taking care of the employees as you have. It says commends your management and company more than you may know.

2. "First officer"

I have been working at ExpressJet Airlines full-time

Pros

Great pilot group. Excellent training department. Still one of the better overall contracts in the industry.

Cons

8 plus years to upgrade. Failure to get a new contract that actually reflects the hard work the pilot group is doing. No flow throughs or new aircraft.

3. "My Review"

Pros

You get flight benefits and good health care.

Cons

Turn over rate is so high.

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ExpressJet Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, quality regional airline, good pay, good raises, nice to work for.

Cons

Long reserve life, sick time is counted against you,

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

Thanks for sharing your review. Being on reserve can be difficult, but once you hold a line you'll love the flexibility of your schedule.

"Enjoyed4.5 years as an FO"

Former Employee - First Officer/Ground Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - First Officer/Ground Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at ExpressJet Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of working here: they really do take safety first. As a pilot here you have very little interaction with a supervisor, and the job never came home with me personally. This company gives a lot of opportunities for personal growth. I applied and was given a merit based ground instructor position as a first officer. Very good quality of life. Cancellation pay, sick and vacation pay.

Cons

Slow upgrade, upper management is dishonest.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect and pay them properly. I left for an airline where I do essentially the same job but I'm making 7 times what first year pay would be at ExpressJet.

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you had a mostly positive experience. We do hope to increase pay, to add to our already great work rules and quality of life. Good luck ... More

"Skywest past CEO suck the company dry"

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ExpressJet Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free travel on United planes on standby. Union to protect you from terrible management.

Cons

You can not even take a day off without pay to go to someone funeral or go to the hospital if your spouse is having a major operation with out getting written up for an incidence toward firing you.

Advice to Management

Nice job running ExpressJet into the ground. We use to get 12 cents a seat mile, now it is 6.9 cents a seat mile. Go look at your purchasing department they are stealing us blind with family members owning sub companies selling us parts at excessive prices. Oh and thanks Jerry Atkins for taking any of the profit and awarding yourself and a few VP at the top all the profits with free stock options year after year, while the rest of us took wage cuts and no raises for the past eight years.Some where in Ezekiel 18 it says the rich will not get into heaven by abusing your workers, ( robbed his brother) . You might want to go read that I hear it is very hot where your going.

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

Thank you for sharing. We take your input seriously and have forwarded this to our VP of Maintenance to review.

8. "OK Place to Work"

I worked at ExpressJet Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good people work here and they, for the most part, genuinely care about doing a great job. Recent leadership changes seem to be making a difference in the way the company is run but the long-term outlook is still questionable because regional airlines are under pressure from all directions.

Cons

The success of the company is limited by what the mainline carrier airlines will permit. It's tough to be driven to be perfect everyday and there is little acknowledgement of what is achieved but every mistake is amplified. Hopefully they find a way to become profitable.

Advice to Management

Take every opportunity to celebrate any individual or departmental successes. The mainline partner airlines are not going to do it. Morale has a long way to go in the upward direction and that is tied to the future outlook for the company

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

I really appreciate your insight. We are working to improve our recognition programs. We know how great our team members are, and we want to make sure they know they are appreciated.

9. "Slow upgrade but good QOL"

Former Employee - Pilot in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pilot in New York, NY

Pros

Contract, work rules, variety of flying.

Cons

Slow upgrade time and no new airframes.

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are proud of our industry-leading work rules and quality of life. We're always looking for opportunities for new flying that make good ... More

"Words cant describe it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I have been working at ExpressJet Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

small company. everyone knows everyone

Cons

Nobody knows what they are doing. Its like flying by the seat of your pants

Advice to Management

Your flight attendants are NOT the enemy. Without them you would close shop. They are the face of the co. You expect them to be super friendly and professional, yet they are underpaid, under appreciated and treated like 2 yr old

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We do value all of our team members and especially those who make sure our passengers have a great experience on our flights. Thank you for representing ... More

"Current State of company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExpressJet Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work rules. Great managers.

Cons

Still in contract talks. Uncertain growth.

Jan 29, 2016 – Manager - Communications & Culture

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're glad you've had positive interactions with leadership.

RSS Feed </> Embed