Expressworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Expressworks Reviews

4.4
John Quereto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fabulous Network of Change Management Professionals!"

Current Contractor - Consultant
    Current Contractor - Consultant

I have been working at Expressworks as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great billable rate, great infrastructure - they handle the invoicing, contract legalese, and other administrative tasks so that you can focus on delivering value to your clients.

Cons

There is a social element to the network, and it seems certain folks are identified for roles or recognized for achievements based on their personal connections with the owners.

2. "Senior Consultant"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Expressworks as a contractor

Pros

Great network, supportive environment, collaborative colleagues!

Cons

Less work available in the Bay Area these days.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to broaden client portfolio

3. "Collaborative, Dynamic and Forward Thinking!"

Current Contractor - Senior Change Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Change Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Expressworks as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked with Expressworks as a Change Management Consultant for 9 years. The opportunities are what attracted me but the culture is what's kept me. Expressworks can best be described as a network of deeply experienced, high performing people who take pride in their work and the value it brings. You're extended a high degree of professional freedom which allows you to pursue work that inspires you and play to your strengths. As an experienced Consultant in the Bay Area, landing work isn't hard, but finding a culture as collaborative, dynamic and forward thinking as Expressworks is.

Cons

After 9 years, I haven't come across anything that I consider an issue or deficiency.

Advice to Management

Great job at staying connected to the network, having your finger on the pulse of tomorrow and fostering an environment where we can do/learn, fail fast and take risks.

4. "Some of the best and brightest work here!"

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in San Ramon, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Expressworks as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I get to work with some of the best and brightest consultants
    Very collaborative environment
    Respect for work life balance
    Freedom to choose your work

Cons

No sales arm
    Heavily dependent on oil and gas at the moment

Advice to Management

I know you are working on business development but the sooner the better!

5. "Solid Place to Work for Strong Change Consultants"

Current Employee - Change Management Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Change Management Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Expressworks (More than 8 years)

Pros

- great group of independent consultants who have built a level of trust among one another and are willing to share of themselves to make everyone successful
    - opportunity to find the right fit means for helping clients through the people side of change without rigidly following a specific methodology

Cons

- many consultants have been working with Expressworks for 5+ years and have created a strong network among those folks and sometimes have a harder time onboarding new personnel to the culture

Advice to Management

Be more visible on a more regular basis across projects at the client site
    Understand that long-term consultants have earned an opportunity to potentially influence the rate split (perhaps consider evolving the model to reward long-time folks with minor changes to the %s earned)

"Freedom to Serve Client…Support from Leadership and the Network"

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Allentown, PA
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Expressworks as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my 3+ years at Expressworks, I’ve been able to deliver the best quality work of my career. Consultants have the freedom to do what’s best for their clients based on their experience, expertise and understanding of the current situation, yet can still rely on Leadership to be approachable and accessible for guidance and advice. Leadership takes the Consultant’s judgment seriously.

The network of consultants is a vibrant, experienced, and FUN group of people to be around. Whatever the situation, one can always find a consultant in the network who can provide advice, tools or an approach to help you think through your issue. Even though many projects are staffed solo, you are never alone!

In my experience, the staffing process has an uncanny ability to match the right consultant to the right opportunity.

Cons

There might be a few, but are insignificant compared to other jobs or independent contracting arrangements.

Advice to Management

Remain available and accessible. Your candor and transparency go a long way in creating a trusting network and environment.

7. "10+ years- Great Experiences and Principle Driven Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Expressworks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best organizations I’ve been fortunate to work with across my 23 year career. Expressworks is a forward looking consulting firm encouraging consultants to use their unique talents, skills and expertise gained from years of industry experience. Very different from consulting firms with a prescribed rigid “one size fits all / pound a square peg in a round hole” approach. They have a flat organizational structure with little hierarchy enabling consultants to deliver their best client experiences without a disruptive organizational bureaucracy. Consultant merit is managed through a strong commitment to client success and a community of consultant peers whose culture bleeds “Expressworks orange”. Junior consultants are developed through a comprehensive Expressworks change management academy.

Cons

Expressworks provides guidance and strong support to its consultants, although they may not be the right organization for those who lack motivation and confidence requiring constant hand holding.

Advice to Management

Focus on diversifying and expanding client relationships is very positive and needs to remain a strong focus in the years ahead.

8. "One of the best working experiences I've had in a long career"

Current Contractor - Change Leadership Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Change Leadership Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Expressworks as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture! I've worked mostly freelance in my career. It was refreshing to come to Expressworks and find that they treat contract and employees alike. I work as much as like, full time or part time. The flexibility is great and is supported by management. The work is very interesting and challenging. Just my cup of tea.

Cons

People who need a lot of structure will not be a good fit unless staffed on long term projects (which are fewer than before) and have good skills to begin with. People who are not entrepreneurial may find it difficult to navigate in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on culture and values. These are what draws and keeps people coming to Expressworks, both on the client and consultant side. Work on diversification of clients.

9. "Fabulous Culture, Engaging Work, and Values that Shine Through"

Current Employee - Change Leadership Consultant in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Change Leadership Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Expressworks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The single best "pro" is the culture of the company. It values diversity of experience, skills, personality, and desire, and finds ways to foster those to bring forth great value to the consultant, the client, and the company. Consultants have the ability to say no to work, something you won't get at many consultancies. It's a fantastic work/life balance, allowing consultants to determine what works best for them at any given point in their life. But it's not a staffing agency - there are mechanisms to build your skills, build a network of other consultants and colleagues, and work together in a network model that is more akin to where many companies will be heading.

There is no hierarchy, meaning that any consultant can take a lead on client work, a new offering for the network, or business development with a new client. And when one does that, the owners ensure that the people taking initiative are recognized and rewarded, even if there's not an immediate payout to the company.

The work with clients varies, as with any consultancy, but consultants are able to find their niche and grow specialty skills in an industry or area of work. The back-office works quite well, with no issues on being paid. The recruiting continues to find amazingly talented individuals to add to the network; this helps to being new skills and colleagues with whom to grow your own individual experience and skills. I started off thinking I'd ride the wave as long as it lasts. It's still going strong and I am enjoying the ride more and more.

Cons

Historically the company has been focused on one industry, leaving it vulnerable to business cycles in that industry. Management has been placing a concerted effort on diversifying the client base, though progress takes time.

The structure requires people who are self-motivated. There are people to help find you work and there is structured on-boarding and help with clients when needed. But the expectation is that consultants will speak up when they need help. This can leave some to flounder a bit if they aren't willing to speak up soon enough. Some complain that they can't get "into the inner circle" or can't get new opportunities. This can happen for those who, again, don't speak up enough. The management will look to people to step up into new areas of opportunity, rather than giving people something to own and then see if they're willing to do it. If you're willing to just jump in, though, the work is rewarding, both financially and emotionally.

Advice to Management

Continue to diversify the client base to make the business more protected from one industry's business cycles. Make clear with consultant recruits the expectation on self-motivation, not just in delivering client work, but also on future opportunities with Expressworks. Continue focusing on the culture and using that to guide the business.

10. "A diverse group of fun, accomplished professionals who I’m proud to call my colleagues!"

Current Employee - Change Management Consultant in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Change Management Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Expressworks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You Only Have One Client. In a Big Five consulting firm, you are likely working for two clients – the one to whose offices you travel every week, and the managing partner who expects you to hit a sales bogey every year. At Expressworks, you can participate in business development activities if you choose to do so, but most consultants devote 100% of their energy to the client. For me, it eliminated an internal conflict of interest, and helped me develop trust that much more quickly with the client.

No Fake Performance Reviews. One of the biggest pros for me is the absence of a formal performance evaluation process. My performance is measured every day I’m on a client project. If I perform well and deliver, the client will ask me back. The partners do conduct client satisfaction surveys and share the feedback directly so we know where and how to improve, but there is no predetermined career path to manage or checking boxes to climb a ladder.

Range of Personalities. Many consulting companies begin to look homogenous as they hire people with whom they’re comfortable, or who fit a certain “type.” While that type of culture might be more familiar or easier to work in, the culture here means that if one person might not be the right fit for a client… someone else likely will be. There’s no pressure to be someone you’re not.

Deep Experience, Openly Shared. Consultants have on average 10+ years’ experience, and I have never encountered someone who wasn’t willing to share their experience or feedback with me. I’ve only had to ask, and be open to receiving their advice.

Transparency. The project assignment process is transparent, and you will always know where you stand with respect to a client or project. If you’re assigned to a project, you’ll understand why you were selected and what concerns – if any – there are. Same goes if you’re not selected – you’ll know why.

Fun Get-Togethers. There are many opportunities to socialize – lunches, monthly network meetings, end-of-year parties, and annual offsite meetings. Because we are an interdependent network, the partners place a premium on providing opportunities for us to get to know one another. They invest a lot of money to make these events happen, and I have always had a good time… sometimes even when I didn’t think I would!

Entrepreneurial Spirit. You can get as deeply involved as you want, and are free to carve your own path. The partners will provide financial support and sponsorship if your pursuit is aligned with their strategies.

Partners With Complementary Styles. I’m not sure that the partners could be cut from cloths much different than they are, and while they bring different perspectives, they share the same goal. I have seen them disagree with one another – sometimes vehemently – but in the end they support the decisions they make.

Cons

Very Little Structure. While there is a lot of flexibility and entrepreneurialism to carve your own path, there is sometimes insufficient structure to “make it happen.” Sometimes when I seek guidance from the partners, they turn back to me for my recommendation. While I appreciate that trust, there are times I would prefer the decision.

Easy to Become Disconnected. Few project assignments require more than one consultant at a time, so you have to “put yourself out there” to participate in the network. This may be uncomfortable for some.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in keeping our network close.