Exsilio Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bryan Baker

"Great stepping stone to launch your career."

Former Employee - Creative Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Exsilio Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Exsilio is a great company to work for. You will learn a lot in this fast paced environment. Everyone works hard and is apart of the Exsilio Circle. There are great benefits. (medical, dental, vision, matched 401k) also yearly trip to Mexico for a company retreat, holiday party and yearly bonus as well.

Cons

High turn over rate mainly because employees gain great work experiences and move up to a better company.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

Thank you for the comments! We love celebrating our successes here at Exsilio. Our leadership team is always looking for new ways to continue retaining the talented employees who have joined our team ... More

2. "Application Developer Intern"

Former Employee - Applications Developer Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer Intern in Irvine, CA

Pros

No Pros I found in my internship period.

Cons

Friendly Environment .
    Seniors are helpful and gives good advice.

"Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re just starting out or are a junior level in the consulting world, this isn’t a bad place to be. Use the time to develop your skill set, make connections, and learn from you coworkers. You can gain a great introduction to the world of consulting based on the projects on which you are placed. Leverage this to bigger and better things.

Cons

If you’ve spent time in the industry, look elsewhere. A client, a large eastside software company, recently instituted an 18-month vendor rule requiring 6 months off between engagements. After the 17th month of our engagement, Exsilio let several of us know we’d be laid off at the conclusion of our 18th month. Seems typical for the industry, except for the fact that Exsilio often cited how “different” they were by bringing these types of employees in-house until they could be placed on a new contract. It was an idea that was hammered home in interviews (I know, because I used to say it to candidates), company meetings, and a “look how good you have it” and "we take care of you" attitude around raise and bonus time. In the end, my guess would be they were stuck in a potentially unprofitable situation and had no choice but to sacrifice their integrity to get out of it.

Before we were out the door our jobs were posted on the Exsilio career site for new candidates. Our manager, having just seen half their team get laid off, left for vacation a week before our last day without saying a word of anything. Not a “goodbye”, “thanks”, “good luck”, nothing. After years of service, it was disappointing to say the least.

There are other issues and red flags, most of them have been covered at length in other reviews on this site. I will say that although I saw much of the same things about the CEO that were mentioned in these reviews, I believe he has finally taken the idea of improving his people-skills to heart. Only time will tell, but I hope he continues to improve and grow.

Advice to Management

It was good to finally see additional structure be built into the company. However, when you say one thing and then do another everybody notices. Stop burning bridges with clients and employees if you expect to stay in it for the long run.

"Nice place except 1 big problem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pretty fun culture (used to be better), good interactions with most workers.

Cons

The biggest problem exsilio has is the micromanagement by the CEO. The CEO is too involved in every project which causes problems since this person is not personable at all. It is not uncommon to see him yelling at someone or berating them in front of others. It used to be worse but is now a little better. Pay can be better.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

We really appreciate you taking time out to review your time here at Exsilio! Our culture is very important, and we are always looking for ways to improve the employee experience, which is why we ... More

"Oh boy, Exsilio is one of those companies you get stuck at once, maybe twice in your lifetime"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Same as few other reviewers already mentioned: some cool and smart people, small company atmosphere, flexible work hours.

Cons

Almost everything else, very bad MISmanagement and MIScommunication at all levels. They'll work you to death and yet pay you way below the market rate. They are actually doing what many smaller consulting shops do: they tend to hire lots of junior developers (did I mention already that they pay them below market rate?) and bill clients senior consultant rate for their work, all while keeping most of the revenue for themselves and giving employees very little whether it is in salary increases or bonuses...Hopefully, you get the picture here. Lastly, piece of advice, if you get an offer letter, make sure that bonus language is not vague (i.e. it is explicitly stated)...they definitely tend to get you there...

Advice to Management

Hire new management at all levels. Make sure that everyone goes through HR training all over again, especially the CEO. Treat your employees better since they are the core of your company. Also, yelling at and berating your employees out in the open is pretty annoying, childish, and not helpful at all to anyone (whether it is management or employees). Someone mentioned new COO, as one of the few good things in the whole company - he is indeed a nice guy, however, I personally did not see much of a great leadership from him that could help steer this company on the right path. If anything, that will take some time to happen. I actually felt that at times COO's efforts to improve things have been undermined by those above him. Lastly, have to say that it seems to me that the most recent review titled "Cutting Edge" has actually been written by Exsilio in order to bolster its credentials and reputation on glassdoor.com.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

Thank you very much for your response, and especially the time you took for the advice section. Comments like yours are what help us continue our growth. We have continued our growth by initiated ... More

"Good place to get a cutting edge education in .NET & dev tools"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who do the work here are great, really care. You will almost always be using cutting edge tools. Free soda and snacks.

Cons

Every thing else! Micro management, threatening environment, performance judged only base on what the owner could do not with jr devs can do...

Advice to Management

You need a process and need to trust the process.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

We really appreciate you taking time to write a review as we continue to learn from these. We have very high expectations of our employees because they are the force that keeps Exsilio successful. We ... More

"Not the place for you if you're not into fun, dogs, longish hours and/or consulting"

Current Employee - Software Tester in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Tester in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll be real. I do software. I enjoy software. I like to grind. I'm not here for a nine-to-five, I'm here to build a career and win. That said, I'm not about to wear a uniform, park my face in a cubicle and call it a life. I want to work for passionate people on cool projects. I don't mind extra hours. I don't mind tight deadlines.

TL;DR:
    1. Passionate about IT
    2. You work with very competent people
    3. Company cruise
    4. Very competitive compensation
    5. Great coworkers
    6. Nerf wars
    7. Ping-pong table

Cons

1. Room for growth in operations, but things have improved in orders of magnitude since I've been here. The COO and the HR manager have A LOT to do with that.
    2. Deadlines can be hectic
    3. Longer hours
    4. You can't be a fun hater.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

Thank you so much for the nice review! We are ecstatic about our employees and like to provide them with an enjoyable place to work (unless of course you are on the losing end of a ping pong match ... More

"Meh!"

Former Employee - Database Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great co-workers, along with the opportunity to work with the latest software suite. Free drinks and snacks.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover. Micro-management from the CEO is terrible and completely undercuts the project managers. This leads to poor work prioritization and the environment of reactionary development. While their compensation is great, you'll have to keep an eye on it yourself because they are financially inept. Many examples of errors in pay or forgetting to deposit your funds into your 401k!

Advice to Management

It is never OK to get an employee's pay wrong. There is no quicker way to losing the trust of your employees.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

Thank you very much for your response, and for the praise of our employees. Also, thank you for your critiques. Our process for 401K is that the contribution gets entered into your account at the end ... More

10. "Great place but not for every one"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and passionate team
    Fun office culture
    Utilizes latest technologies
    Great growth potential
    Good benefits

Cons

Like most consulting companies, deadlines can sometimes be tight
    No for people that just want to put in 9 to 5

Advice to Management

Management is getting better at being more communicative with direction and future plans of the company. But should also be more diligent on providing feedback on how teams and employees are doing.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

Thanks for the great comments! Our teams have implemented more consistent communication lines to ensure that people are receiving the correct amount of feedback. Exsilio employees are our greatest ... More

11. "Made Important Changes in Management"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exsilio has recently made some key changes in upper management, resulting in a much more organized, transparent, accountable and decisive company. Adding an HR manager was a great move.

Cons

Everyone should be accountable - even owners, when things go wrong.

Mar 30, 2016 – Exsilio

Thank you so much for taking time to send us a comment. Accountability is one of our fundamentals that all employees here at Exsilio live by. Leadership is expected to always hold themselves and ... More