Extended Stay America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Gerry Lopez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work - life balance due to stringent staffing causing salaried managers to work extra shifts (in 23 reviews)

• Hence the incompetence from upper management (I assume) (in 42 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work for!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company only a short time now, and am so happy I made the move to the ESA family. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help. Management treats you as an equal and trusts you to do your job without micromanaging. Loving the decision I made so far!

Cons

No cons so far with ESA

2. "maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome always learn new thing and fast pace of work that will kept me business.

Cons

Can't kept up with job if your role is maintenance doesn't mean when your finish or need you to work as housekeeper that separate role of job.

Advice to Management

Prepare with your work tasks, when it come to the tickets that gonna be steal your time. Because tickets are require to fix the guest are there and complain so better get done. Make guest happy, but yes work loads is getting more more more prepare for that.

3. "Great Advancement Opportunities For Those Willing To Work For It!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am part of the North Division and the support from my SDRO and SVP as well as the Corporate Executives is fantastic! I have worked for other companies and know first hand this is not the norm. Training and development of employees is a huge focus which really supports the " Promoting from Within" culture. Relocation allows for many opportunities for those that are ready!

Cons

If you are not willing to relocate, advancement opportunities may be more limited .

"Guest Service Representative"

I have been working at Extended Stay America part-time

Pros

Great for any college student, free hotel nights, sometimes recognition is given for good performance.

Cons

no opportunity to advance or become fulltime, pay is extremely low even with experience, struggling for hours, have to work multiple shifts to receive hours desired.

Advice to Management

have a fulltime employee for each shift and each position as opposed to 5 part time employees fighting for hours.

"Great company with a solid leadership position in the hotel industry"

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

ESA is a very diverse company with employees from different race, gender and economic backgrounds which helps us create a culture that values different opinions

Cons

As a growing company with a large hotel base we have challenges communicating to our entire employee base. Things should improve as we create better communication tools

Advice to Management

Look for more opportunities to recognize and reward employees for great efforts and supporting the company's mission

6. "night laundry attendant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westmont, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westmont, IL

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great opportunity to grow!

Cons

the salary is to low.

7. "Tremendous Potential"

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

Approachable and accessible management. Opportunities for advancement in a growing Company.

Cons

Company is still relatively young...therefore some systems and processes are still evolving and maturing.

Advice to Management

Engage with associates...especially those on the front lines who are taking care of our guests.

"A selfish cheap company"

Former Employee - General Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was good to meet people from different places of life, working in a hotel where long term people stay really does help make your day better especially if something goes wrong they are more prone to being understanding versus a one night stayer, Bonus, decent salary, promotes from within.

Cons

There is no work balance life here, if your a general manager your expected to make yourself available 24/7 but if your a big boss you can not reply and just leave your people hanging, if you want to have somewhat of a personal life this is not the job for you. This company is also very cheap everybody is worried about making a bonus instead if getting the items needed to run a normal hotel. Major things will stay broken before they spend the money to fix them but it is still expected of you to get good satisfaction surveys from your guest even if you can't provide normal things for them like hot water in a shower. District managers, regional directors, anybody that is a head hancho is very unsupportive in helping address the major issues instead they breath down your neck about one minute of overtime for your employee or how much money you CANT spend to get your hotel in order even though your hotel is making budget while they sit at home and do nothing. Everything pretty much falls on the general managers back you wear the hat of front desk, housekeeping, sales, maintenance and you get zero help or support.

Advice to Management

Instead of harming your managers, talk to them to see what's going on in their hotels, at the end of the day they are the ones who have to be there everyday, not you. Help them, support them

9. "Endless opportunities for growth"

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Over a career of several years with ESA, I have been afforded multiple opportunities for growth in various roles. The only limits are those you set on yourself. There are many mentors within the organization and this company is very much invested in its employees. As the company continues to grow, I am confident that I will continue to grow with it.

Cons

Tough to get to know all of the players when working remotely.

Advice to Management

Would be nice to recognize those employees who have been with ESA long term with something commerative since the vacation perks tap out at 4 weeks.

10. "IT Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small, friendly department, good teamwork, supportive leadership.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for career growth.