Extended Stay America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Gerry Lopez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 7 free nights a year to use wherever (in 40 reviews)

• Free nights for family, friends or vacation (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work - life balance due to stringent staffing causing salaried managers to work extra shifts (in 26 reviews)

• If you work front desk you will be working alone if you work swing shift (in 42 reviews)

1. "Front Desk Agent"

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

Family environment
    Easy to move up in the company

Cons

Only 7 free nights a year discount is not flexible
    Company tries to go the cheaper right on everything
    low salary

Advice to Management

Higher Pay
    Please put money into the motels

2. "Horrible place to be and work. Overworked hotel staff, underpaid"

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

Meet nice people, flexible schedule allowed

Cons

Actually care about the staff in the hotels and don't mistreat people, because you can

Advice to Management

Treat people right. Reverse discrimination in corporate office. Well known

3. "Guest Service Representative"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, co-workers AND guests. It is also a laid-back environment.

Cons

Have not found a downside.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

4. "Good Company to work for"

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair, honest, no games, results driven

Cons

benefits cost well exceeds other management companies, operations turnover is very high

5. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - General Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities if you would like to succeed in the hospitality business.

Cons

I little bit overwhelming sometimes with the amount of email, request and task to complete.

6. "AGM"

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

The experience was great. Being able to be so close to all departments was something I'll never forget.

Cons

The property was extremely neglected. The workers did not care about their jobs and about 20% of the time I was covering shifts ontop of doing my job. I also had to call the cops at least once a month on a guest. They were not the best clientele.

Advice to Management

This place needs higher prices to avoid bad guest, gain a team that is worth having, and ensure the sanity of employees.

7. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule. 7 free nights.

Cons

General Manager is on call 24/7 never any back up.

8. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Staff and Benefits are great for full times

Cons

Pay is low for all operations employees

"They really just told us that we couldnt have any new sheets and towels for the next 2 months. Company wide."

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very easy company to move up in, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Today I was informed that as a company (600+ hotels) we were not allowed to buy sheets and towels for our guests for the next 2 months.

This is all in an effort to save money (at the expense of our associates and guests) so they can meet their Q4 earnings estimate. We will be allowed to order again in Q1 of 2018. This not only feels dishonest to our shareholders and investors, but also creates absolute madness for our hotels. If we are down to nothing but soiled and stained sheets, we are being told that we must use these or to even dye them white to hide the stains.

Sounds shocking, right? This is not even the 1st time that they have done this. The last time it was called "cost containment" and we were PROMISED that they would never do it again. Seems like the only promise that they are interested in keeping is to their shareholders.

They are cheap with everything. What they pay their associates. What they pay for their goods. What they pay for their services. They seek the lowest cost in all they do.

When they encounter financial difficulty, they are very quick to pass the "difficulty" to their operations team. They have furloughed their managers without pay just before the holidays.... only to then pay bonuses in the next quarter. They have expanded their corporate office to the point of bloating but then leave the hotels run with skeletal crews.

If you want to work in hotels, ask yourself this. Do you want to work for the best hotels or the worst? If you are looking to work in the worst run hotels in the hospitality business, join ESA. You will be another great manager trying to make it work in a terrible company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Stop allowing revenue to blind you to whats going on with your products. You salivate at $40 per night blocks of trucking business but are willfully blind to what they do to the hotel and the reputation of our brand. I could keep going but if after all this time you wont listen to your team --- I don't feel that you will listen here either.

10. "Overworked u derpaid"

Current Employee - GSR
    Current Employee - GSR

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

7 free nights but unavaible to use where you want so basically useless 7 free night because anywhere u want to use it will tell you no we don't accept this like it's not a valid free room like your not an employee to the franchise

Cons

Hired as front desk but also do all the house laundry and clean rooms threw out your whole shift which I wouldn't mind if I made more than minimum wage.but nope for basic minimum wages you do four jobs in one .constant guest naggin of why aren't you at the front desk,well sir I'm the only employee here and am not just front desk am laundry room security front desk hallway and housekeeper and coffee maker etc etc so that's why I'm not at the front desk!! One of the worst jobs ever with zero employee appreciation.henve why they never have employees.if you have no appreciation for employees they useuay don't stay long.they also refuse to fire people which is not always good thing.one front desk gsr is so rude it's unbelievable every single guest has made a complaint even to corporate and she still sits at the front desk! It's all unbelievable and ran so sloppy it's a true disgrace to the hotel industry.it is rated a 2 star hotel and I believe deserves less!we have a rewards program that we are told not to tell guest about bevause there is also no rooms for them because only a certain amount of rooms are epp rooms.either offer the rewards program or don't buy don't be limited on how many and who should know about it or not.see how stop and shop has a rewards card and lets everyone know about it.imagine they tried to hide it because only five people
    Could actually get the rewards.doesnt make any sense right? Well that's exactly what extended stay does.horrible company!guest are always displeased with hotel! I could go in and on roaches bed bugs dirty hallways smelly etc etc the company will run itself into the ground if this is how it's ran!

Advice to Management

Hire full staff i.e. Laundry people housekeeping hallway care security guard etc etc not just one gsr for all those or at least pay gsr a few more dollars than minimum wages.free nights and discounts should be able to be used in any hotel that is extended stay!