Extended Stay America Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

1.2
Gerry Lopez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work - life balance due to stringent staffing causing salaried managers to work extra shifts (in 23 reviews)

• Hence the incompetence from upper management (I assume) (in 42 reviews)

"General manager"

Current Employee - Hotel General Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Team work is a big deal

Cons

Long hours at any time

Advice to Management

hire more dedicated staff with more longevity and give them

2. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

8 Free nights a year

Cons

Poor corporate support, unfair business practices, Unprofesssional HR dept. No respect for employee, double standards, unfair payroll deductions.

Advice to Management

Take care of Employees and they will take care of your customers and business.

"Never work for this company"

Current Employee - GSA in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - GSA in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company. Please seek a job some were at Walgreen's target or any retail store.

Cons

paid for what your doing lets just say they are unfair i know people that have worked for this company getting paid 10.25 and hour and they will bring people in making 14 dollars and hour at the same pay.

Advice to Management

you need to change all of the bay arias SRDO, DM and some GM management because they are not fair to the employees and they do start roomers. will never work for a company like this again i would rather work for Walmart witch i hear is one of the worst retail companies to work for than work for this company again as son as i find a new job i am gown.

"No chain of command or proper resources to provide quality service to guests."

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good front desk experience because you'll be dealing with various customer service nightmares.

Cons

Unreliable co-workers, turnover in management, overworked dedicated employees, hotel is falling apart.

Advice to Management

Hire reliable employees, hire enough employees to provide the services you promise guests, fix the property and restore the amenities.

"nightmare job"

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

The pros of this job are that you get to work in a place where you get to know your guests & it can be very fun to talk amongst & gain many social skills

Cons

I was hired as a part time employee but I was working 40+ hours a week. Plus I was expected to work the 11pm- 7am night laundry shift when our normal worker called off. When I told my manager it was too much she replied with "you know it's a requirement to be flexible if you want to work here." I would be left alone at work my entire 8 hour shift because my manager wouldn't come in because she's "tired". & I would normally work at least 2 hours of overtime a day because my manager needed me to. Mind you I also worked 6 days a week. On my last weekend of work (the reason I quit) I was left alone to work for 9 hours (1 overtime) on a Saturday & was then left alone for 11 hours on Sunday because there was no one able to come in after my shift. My manager didn't come in even though she was aware of the situation. And on top of that, we had no housekeepers on duty so there were no rooms available for the guests who were trying to check in. It was a nightmare and my manager stayed at home all day while i was left to deal with it. When I say I'm left alone in the hotel I mean I am the only employee in the entire hotel. No help whatsoever from even a housekeeper. I even called my managers boss & he didn't seem to care much either. He said they were sending a housekeeper from another hotel & they would be there at 3 (check in time) it was 7 o'clock before any housekeeper came to help. Which is also the time my manager decided to show up. So I had been working for 12 hours by force (if I left there would be no other employee on the property). I decided that was enough. Many situations similar to this have happened prior but this is what made me realize I don't need this job that bad. The money was good but the stress would never be worth it. I would never ever recommend someone to work there because I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. I only worked there for 3 months & that was enough to drive me out the door. During that time, I watched about 5 other employees be hired & quit. There must be a reason..

Advice to Management

To the management, you need to pay attention to the employees & their complaints. I know many times, we have gone over our managers head to her boss & still nothing was done. The hotel is plummeting down & even the guests know it's because of the management. It's crazy & bizarre to me that the company would let something like this happen.

"Life balance. "Zero""

Current Employee - Hotel General Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Grow faster than typical company

Cons

Just responsibilities grow not the pay.
    No life balance, amount of hours you have to put in to run the hotel is ridiculous.
    Everything is you, "one man operation"

Advice to Management

Treat employees fair, stop giving false promises and false hope.

7. "Could Be Better"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Extended Stay America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There isn't a single day that is the same. There are many days to where I just look forward to going to work. I absolutely love my job. The general manager at my particular location is absolutely wonderful, always makes sure his employees are taken care of.

Cons

Always running out of things that are offered to the guests; pans, pots, towels, etc.

Advice to Management

Management is friendly to employees to their faces and then talks about their shortcoming to other employees. Management does not mention any issues to the employees but simply puts it in their evaluation. How can the workers fix what they don't even know they're messing up on? There needs to be better communication between GMs and AMs and GSRs