Extra Space Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere. lots of support and training.

Cons

Have to wait 1 year to participate in the 401 K program

Advice to Management

Higher wages

"Great potential"

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

The people here are all pretty friendly.

The company has a lot of diversity at the top.

Full time hours plus benefits.

A lot of opportunity for growth. (You'll be turning down promotions faster than you know it.)

This place is a meritocracy and that's great.

Cons

There are opportunities for growth but so few open positions.

The bonuses are the smallest I've ever seen for the sales industry. How can you split a single monthly bonus of $50 with 3-4 people?

For the amount of work required, respectfully, I don't think it's worth the compensation. You are the maintenance person and the sales person, and the manager. If you bust your hump and go the extra mile you may get lucky and take home a $20 bonus for the month?

If you live on site you will actually make LESS $ per hour because they build it into your compensation but living on site comes with responsibilities too and isn't exactly "free." What is $200 a month to a company that continues to do so well when you're a contribution to that continued success?

The compensation between assistant, store, and lead are not much different. What incentive is there to move up when it's more work and responsibility for $1-$2/hr more? If you aren't going for a rare DM position, why move up and take on the added stress and responsibility?

You will use your personal vehicle for business purposes 3-4 times a week.

You will/may have to clean up feces and or urine or vomit. You will/may deal with troublesome members of the homeless population and they'll be living on site and you'll be limited in your scope to do anything about it.

Honestly, if you have a higher degree, I wouldn't consider working in the field at any of the stores because the compensation will not match your value and or experience.

Advice to Management

Increase the bonuses or come up with a profit-sharing program.

Don't make new employees wait one year to be able to save for retirement with the company. If vesting is such a concern, eliminate immediately being vested and place a restriction on vested funds. Why after 60 days does an employee receive all of the offered benefits except 401k?

To retain top talent you will have to pay more money. You may be competitive when it comes to the wages of other storage places, but incentives and compensation for sales is lacking. If your paradigm is how you view yourself compared to others you will continuosly be looking down as others lower the bar, but all you'll be able to see is that you're still a notch above the rest not realizing that you're slowly cutting closer and closer to the bone.

3. "Assistant Property Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Cathedral City, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Cathedral City, CA

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly bonuses and Annual Raises

Cons

Be prepared to do alot of Manual Labor

Advice to Management

Do not lie about job description when knowingly hire someone with a few limitations.

4. "asst. manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In most areas it is a good company to work for. You don't want to work in the Phila, Bensalem, Pittsburgh areas.

Cons

The district manager in this area is the worst i have ever worked for. The first 10 years were great. I looked forward to going to work and never had a problem. The D.M."s always gave me a high rating. The moral of the store and asst. managers now are scraping the bottom.

Advice to Management

Get a new district manager for this area

5. "Good management and easy to move up"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work days and not much stress. A lot of down time after summer season. Great bonuses if you sell enough units and insurance.

Cons

Random crabby people and work on weekends. Also always something going wrong at the locations whether its A/C or security issues.

Advice to Management

More compensation

"An Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extra Space is definitely an amazing company to work for and in the appx 4 mth's I have been with the company I have learned a great deal. Training was and has been a lot harder then I expected because I was coming from a field that I had a great deal of experience into a field I knew little to nothing about.

But, one thing that I can say I pride myself on especially as a LEO is taking on a challenge. I have learn a new way of selling, a different form of client services, the way arbitration & auctions work like who knew? Yet I can say it has been one of the most exciting and rewarding feelings working here.

There are very few jobs that I can say that about, and the work life balance and amazing office hour's like what more could you ask for? Being apart of a team and company that treats its employees with the same amount of respect that it does its clients and wanting to see its employee succeed it beyond a blessing.

I could only hope that Extra Space continues on the path that is has because I can see no reason that a company with this much  respect and admiration could ever fail. -JD

Cons

Tbh at this time there are non I can say at the moment! -JD

Advice to Management

Keep it up!! You guys have a great thing going...

7. "Extra Space"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are great & you get full time benefits,

Cons

Several levels of management are under paid

Advice to Management

Great company

8. "Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've only worked for 1 other storage company but Extra Space is by far a better company to work for. They care, the people I work with are wonderful, the benefits are tremendous, the opportunities are everywhere. I'm proud to say I am an employee of Extra Space Storage.

Cons

Everywhere you go you can find negatives and I would rather focus on the positives.

Advice to Management

Stay grounded

9. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Treated very well. Pay is fair. Lots of fun incentives in addition to very reasonable bonus criteria.

Cons

Have to do work outside.

10. "Great family company even though it is a corporation"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full time employee receive great benefits including 401K, life insurance, health insurance, personal paid time off. Option to advance from Assistant manager to on site manager which results in a free apartment and utilities plus your hourly compensation or even further advances. Incentive offered when you exceed company expectation. When dealing with many of the customers you may encounter those grieving from divorce, death, eviction etc. though this can be challenging at times it can also be rewarding when you see how grateful they are for your sensitivity.

Cons

If part time you are not offered the same benefits. The sort of customer you deal with in this line of work is not always the easiest to work with.