Extra Space Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Extra Space CEO Joe Margolis
Joe Margolis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work life balance, Phenomenal team that really works well together (in 63 reviews)

• Fun work environment that is challenging (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can also be overbearing (in 22 reviews)

• The only complaint I can think of is that it seems as though district managers are typically hired externally now (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great job, awesome company!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Too many to count! I am a manager in the Bensalem area and I can't imagine working anywhere else. Management really cares about their employees. They have grown a lot in the last few years but still manage to feel like a small company that treats us like family. There are many opportunities for growing your career and my DM is always willing to help us be the best we can be. I highly recommend Extra Space, especially in the greater Philadelphia area, to anyone who wants to grow with a company who appreciates them.

Cons

I truly can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best, taking care of your employees like family.

2. "Fast-paced, fun environment"

I worked at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Great leadership and focus on continuous improvement. Recently they've added a lot of emphasis on employee satisfaction.

Cons

There's definitely a culture of favoritism. Some people come in and are quickly accepted while others who are just as competent aren't as readily noticed or advanced.

"Extra Space has us do reviews to keep the rating High!"

Current Employee - Assistant Site Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Site Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9:30-6pm work day

Guaranteed 2 days off

Easy work when you have 2 people

Each day is basically the same
    No long lines or super busy days

Lots of time to talk with fellow team members and guests

Cons

The rating above is BS we are asked by the company to do reveiws annually to improve our rating here!

Promotions or Growth opportunities given based on how long you’ve worked here, not because of your ability.

Company not hiring staff effectively.

Important Emails and Texts ignored. Sometimes you need help NOW but left to just figure it out for yourself.

Training program Sucks

Most managers in Richmond shouldn't have jobs, yet we won’t hire new people. (As if we have some sort of high standards)

Scheduling: Many are with little or no help while some stores have people getting paid to sit and talk to each other. We could simply split the staff across the district and fix staffing issues

No staff

Advice to Management

Correcting such issues starts at the top. Find and promote people with “talent” to work as site managers and multi-unit positions. Someone who communicates and is a positive role model. Someone that doesn’t try scare tactics or promote out of desperation , but actually works to better their staffs by providing knowledge, encouraging, and teaching. (While not being afraid to hold people accountable) A lot have already quit and there are more to come

"Growth Opportunity Diminishes"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lancaster, CA

I worked at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Excellent in organization! Superior educational training is unparalleled to what I have experienced. The stores’ office structure and trademark-branding color (Wasabi Green and Grey) settles as a nice modern look.

Cons

My hard work and dedication never paid off—but that’s okay—another door has opened in recognition of my potential. God speed!

Advice to Management

Thank you for helping me become the storage expert I am today.

"Facility Service Manager"

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

-Decent Pay
    -Not micromanaged
    -Facilities Team is great to work with
    - Storage doesn't have a lot of emergency calls

Cons

- The company lacks inclusive programs to support minority groups.
    - They lack attractive benefits

Advice to Management

- Better your public image and PR by introducing better benefits and supporting local communities.

6. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Great Work life balance, Phenomenal team that really works well together. Managers really listen to what you have to offer, and have been willing to let me run with my ideas.

Lots of advancement opportunities, especially at the Store Support Center. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

If I had to be nitpicky, it would have to be at the benefits. They are not terrible, but I know other companies do offer better benefits.

"For the most part, it’s a lot of solo work that will eventually lead to mental and physical exhaustion in a short time."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Like any entry level job, most people can do it but know how to use a computer and Microsoft software. Be prepared to work a lot of solo shifts and be kind of on your own but know that you’re being remotely micromanaged. Descent gig but the pay is kind of low for the level of perfection they expect placed on usually just one person normally working a Site. They do have pretty good benefits and the PTO and paid holidays off make it a semi-tempting offer to stay. You also could get a basic small apartment at some of the really old sites but expect your hourly pay to go down and to have certain strings attached to that.

Cons

Since the new CEO took over in 2016, things have changed progressively. It use to be a better managed company before that so company culture is in decline. Every district is a little different I suppose but I lost respect for my upper management and the support leaders when they started playing favorites and disrespecting their hardest workers. Extra Space is a little broken right now as a company and that’s too bad because they use to be better. Be prepared to be treated like a work tool eventually and a lot of empty promises from your District Manager so he/she can make ends meet and keep you strung along. Turn over is moderate to high here. The longer you stay the more you feel the company strain of just trying to get paid to do your job.

Advice to Management

They aren’t listening to their employees then and they aren’t listening now. Upper Management have their own agendas. How quickly they will turn on you. I’ve seen it happen to everyone. Site Managers want to do a great job and operate a clean/safe Site but constantly having your assistant cover other sites and having to work like your two people makes it’s almost impossible to meet their ultra high standards which compromises customer service, sales, everyone’s safety and security, and much more.

8. "Don't Audit your store managers when you keep them single staffed without maintance staff or a assistant manager."

Pros

You get benefits and they pay more than other storage companies. You get PTO but they frown on you for taking it. If you call out sick it dips into your PTO though. 401k is good. You are not micromanaged with someone over your shoulder. But you ARE micromanaged remotely.

Cons

No sick leave, low pay, a lot of janitorial work. They ask you to do it all. You wear a lot of hats. Everything the bad reviews say is true. Like all the cleaning. No 2 days off, back to back. And having to clean up urine and feces. Units, sweep and mop hallways and get rid of weeds, along with providing excellent customer service, scoring perfect on secret shops and doing collection calls. Geez. Oh and you have to sell insurance and get google reviews. And if you don't, they threaten you with loosing your job.

Advice to Management

Don't audit your store managers when you keep them under staffed. Then come not pick them. Corporate needs to work the field too. The company is doing better and better every year. Yet you keep taking from you field employees more and more every year. Pay better, hire maintance workers and give more holidays off or pay us more for working on holidays. Promote from within. Why do you keep hiring people from game stop, Verizon wireless and public storage as district managers? Instead of training and promoting your managers?
    Stop asking employees to do 5 star reviews to keep the rating up. Be honest.

"You will be cleaning feces. Human, dog, bird, rat feces"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working alone and being responsible for everything this is a good company to work for. It is not hard work and you won't be challenged. You do not need to many brain cells to work here. Just be ready to have a unbealivable work load. You wear many hats. Janitor, accountant, sales, furniture mover, gardener, pest control, insurance salesman. Other than that is is pretty good because they offer 401K and benefits

Cons

Extraspace keeps demanding more from their employees while taking more away from their employees. You deal with a lot of homeless people and they smear feces on the bathroom walls. The pay is very low. It is a lot of janitorial work. The district managers gossip about their employees and are not very supportive. You will never get promoted. They will hire from outside the company before promoting experienced employees, You will get dirty here and be dirty with all the cleaning they make you do. Turn over is high, people don't last and you are forever training someone. You have to sell a lot of insurance. You have to work mandatory mondays and saturdays.

Advice to Management

If the employees are what make extraspace a great place to work, then treat them better. Work to remove barriers between upper management and field employees. There is a big disconnect there. Make district managers work on saturdays too. Promote from within, Promote store managers to DM's. Hire more maintenance workers or janitors.

"Salary"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had one district manager in my almost 8 year career that had a sense of professionalism and looked for opportunities to inspire growth within his district. He inspired his staff to aspire to grow with the company.

Cons

This company needs to take better care of providing opportunities for employees to earn bonuses and opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Recognize quality employees and be an advocate for them. This company seems to be taking more and more from their employees every year. Profits continue to go up and cut backs and incentives opportunities are slim to none.