Extra Space Storage Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Extra Space Storage Manager Reviews

Updated Oct 19, 2019

4.1
  1. "Extra Space Storage actually cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I come from Mall retail where I was working an average of 65 hrs a week so when I was given the opportunity to work for Extra Space Storage I jumped on it, I have been with ESS for about 3 years and I love my job. I now work 40 hrs a week, I get every Sunday off and 1 Saturday a month off, so, what can I say about ESS? I actually have a life now, I am really happy about how I get treated and valued by my superiors... which I never had before;I was always treated like a number and not recognized for my accomplishments, I work in a very tight team and if I ever need something my team helps out, I have a great District Manager who has a heart of gold and who compliments me when needed, ESS is the best Company to work for!

Cons

I have no cons to list!!

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great work!

Extra Space Storage2019-10-19
  2. "360 Difference"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the past I worked for another storage company that is one of the top five in the industry for almost seventeen years and as I was there they do not promote within, not once met or talked to the CEO, they micro manage all employees, and no longer give merit raises not even for cost of living. I came to Extra Space Storage almost two years ago and my experience has been a 360 change. Within the first year and a... half Joe Mangolis the CEO of Extra Space came out to my store and other stores to meet the people who work for him. The company held meetings through out the company traveling all over the states so they could connect and ask the employees that work the sites, what their opinions and ideas are to help improve our company. Not only does the company value your opinion they also value each and every employee.

Cons

I have no Cons at this time

Advice to Management

Keep rolling out survey's to employees because honest feed back either bad or good is a way to keep employees happy and holds upper management accountable.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-19
  3. "positive work envirnment"

Current Employee - Distict Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

level of communication to all employees, work life balance environment, able to adjust to current situations nimbly

Cons

pay level versus cost of living

Extra Space Storage2019-10-18
  4. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Site Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

The support that you get from upper management regarding the job is second to none. I have never worked for a company that consistently SHOWS and VOICES how much they appreciate employees as much as Extra Space does. There are many opportunities to relocate to other states and transfer to other site level positions.

Cons

Pay could be better, and opportunity for growth beyond site positions are minimal. Majority of the positions beyond the site are located in Utah.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for employees to keep top performers with the company. Offer more opportunities for growth (beyond the site level) in areas besides Utah.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-18
  5. "Employment @ Extra Space"

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Truly one of the top places to work here in Memphis. Talk about work/play balance, opportunities for advancement and a wonderful management team then look no further!

Cons

Really cant find any at all.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out to current employees for potential candidates.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-18
  6. "Great people, great leadership and love my DM"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leadership cares about people Chances to advance Monthly bonus

Cons

secret shop program not fair at times better yearly raises

Advice to Management

Give my DM a pat on the back, most of the managers love the company but our DM has been with us for 2 years he is the best. I never thought I could do everything I do now

Extra Space Storage2019-10-18
  7. "Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, excellent support, real good work-life balance, excellent opportunities for growth within the company. And everyone is like family here. Excellent benefits

Cons

Only being able to have one Saturday off a month not much weekend time to spend with family or friends

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing without all your great support it would make our jobs more difficult

8. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, great benefits, lots of opportunities.

Cons

The mark was missed with recent management changes. A part of the core value is its people and I don’t see that being upheld with the new management.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - FACILITY SERVICES MANAGER in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, amazing management, and a true team approach. ESS doesn't just tell you their values, they live them. I am proud to be a member of the team.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that they need to keep expanding so they can present more opportunities for people to join the team.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  10. "If you like the independence of small business ownership combined with corporate support, this is the job for you!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate Management is very hands-off in the day to day. We have the 80/20 philosophy for development. Corporate/ Management provides the resources for you to succeed. (The 20%) Its up to you to provide the drive and passion (The 80%). Its very much up to you to succeed. There is a strong family atmosphere around here. If you seek the support, you WILL receive it. If your looking for a job that will challenge you... to be your best self then this is the job for you.

Cons

The hours are designed to accommodate the 9 - 5 worker. Most stores operate from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM with a half hour lunch. Management typically tries to keep you close to home but if you end up with a commute then you have little to no evening at home depending on when you go to bed. This is a personal thing, but I'd prefer hours that were earlier. Unfortunately, given the nature of the business, it's important for... us to be available for customers who want to swing in on their way home from work.

Advice to Management

Sound Systems. I know its a site to site thing, but I LOVE having a facility that has Sirius Radio in it. It makes customers feel more comfortable in these giant maze-like buildings and it makes cleaning a bit more fun. :)

Found 570 reviews