Extra Space Storage Property Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Extra Space Storage Property Manager Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2019

Found 23 reviews

4.0
  1. "A great opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Always something to do, great benefits, excellent culture and a great support system.

Cons

The amount of travel can be crazy and while the benefits are excellent, they could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continue to make improvements!

Extra Space Storage2018-09-26
  2. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, flexible time off, corporate is very friendly and helpful

Cons

No room for advancement

Extra Space Storage2019-07-03
  3. "Property manager"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership empowers its managers to think like an owner and challenges us to be innovative with our ideas. ExtraSoace without a doubt treats their employees like we matter and with respect! Best company Ive ever worked for.

Cons

If you're not self motivated and able to get work done on your own, you may find your day to day a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It does not go unnoticed!

Extra Space Storage2018-03-21

"Property manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Steady work. Ok pay. Good management. If you are a people person this is a great job. Don’t have to be a salesman.

Cons

Weekend work was my only complaint, once my kids started getting into sports I changed careers to help coach. That’s it.

Extra Space Storage2018-03-05

"Great Company, Awesome Boss"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent work environment, Advancement , Great Incentive, Great management and co-workers. I have worked in the Bucks County/Bensalem/Philadelphia/Pittsburgh District for over seven years. I have had the pleasure of working with a great senior management team. Presently, I report to an excellent district manager. He is results-driven, supportive and always available to discuss my present and future career goals.... What is really impressive is that I have been a management/professional for over twenty years and I still learn new things from him. Our district manager takes the time to visit us one on one and discuss our property and ways to make our business better. He is always teaching us new aspects of business so the job never gets stale. You only have to drive by the properties or look at the site reviews to see he oversees a staff that cares about our customers and their overall satisfaction. He also promotes within and fosters a great relationship among his managers. I also was managed by his assistant for two years. She too is class act and always there if we need her. All and all I give my employer and management team five stars. But seeing is believing. Apply in this district and you will see that if you are dedicated and willing to work hard, our DM and the company will reward you. I am very pleased to be an Extra Space Storage property manager working in the Bucks County/Philadelphia/Pittsburgh Market. I highly recommend.

Cons

College Tuition reimbursement for advancement to senior management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. We appreciate the opportunities.

Extra Space Storage2017-08-15

"Assistant Property Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Cathedral City, CA

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Monthly bonuses and Annual Raises

Cons

Be prepared to do alot of Manual Labor

Advice to Management

Do not lie about job description when knowingly hire someone with a few limitations.

Extra Space Storage2017-08-31

"Time for some truth"

Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will see plenty of "pros" to working with this company as they require their new employees to come onto this website and review them. And who would be stupid enough to say anything bad. So now that I am not employed with them let's just skip to the cons....

Cons

They work you like a dog and I literally mean a dog. We were taken over by them in August and were told we had 2 weeks to clean all units to their standards. So in the dead heat of summer they expected me to clean 140 vacant units within 2 weeks. I mean clean as in sweep out unit, clean back of the door, bush down the dust on the walls, microfiber rag the walls with a cleaner, spray pesticide and vacuum out the... corners of the unit. That was just the beginning they had ridiculous goals that I didn't think could get any worse until 2017 hit and they require you to now get 90% of your new rentals with insurance. So 1 out of every 10 people could opt out of insurance for you to meet your goal. Not to mention you are required to get 4 Google reviews a month; people honestly panic over not having enough and then try to get each other or friends to post fake reviews for them. The company grooms you to speak a specific way to deceive your customers. Then they force you to force the brand new customer to give you a Google review before you can leave the office. The DM told me to send them the link to their phone then ask if they did it yet. If not then I was to say well go ahead and do it then once your done I'll take you outside to your unit. The DM has favorites and you can definitely tell. He treats people completely different depending on whether or not he likes you. The DM's will promise you growth in the company but then guess what, they also promised that same position to 3 other people! When I address the issue I am then told that anyone can go through training but not everyone's going to make it (a perfect example of the deceiving talk they try to teach you). Speaking of training they dont tell you until your on but you'll have to go through Extra Space University which will consist of weeks of going through online schooling, tests, check ups from your team leads and a paper or two before its all said and done. I think worst of all was that my assistant was making almost as much money as I was and with his mileage he was getting more! Yet some how I was at the cap of a managers pay and I would need to move up to get more money; but that job was hard to move up to when 3 other seniored ES employees had already been told they were next in line. I have worked for quite a few storage companies over the years and this is by far the worst one I have ever been a apart of. I am just thankful to be out of there and onto a better company.

Extra Space Storage2017-07-28
  8. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

onsite apartment , incentives for meeting or exceeding goals

Cons

Secret shops I feel like i'm not trusted to do my job.

Advice to Management

Save the money put out for secret shoppers and pay those Managers who work properties primarily single covered a little more

Extra Space Storage2017-06-29

"Property Manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive work culture, learning resources, incentives, and experience with a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities. Great for multi tasking people.

Cons

Low end of pay scale, high level of responsibility, unprofessional District Managers, use of personal vehicle is required but mileage pay is minimal. No training on maintenance tasks which are expected to be performed safely to promote the "clean and green" experience. Safety was a constant concern. Failure to promote reliable, experienced, consistent employees to District Management if the candidate isn't a... straight, white , Christian male.

Advice to Management

There is a saying which reigns true with Extra Space. The quote "people don't quit companies, they quit Managers" is a great description of my experience. I was with the company for 5 years. I was impressed with the availability of learning resources. Good financial planning, communication, and goal setting. Very motivational work culture. Poor turnover rate and placement of District Management. In 5 years there... were 4 changes in D.M.'s. I resigned after hearing personal information and jokes being made with regard to other team members. I found this unacceptable.

Extra Space Storage2017-02-09

"The worst for pay/expectations"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no Pros other than your co-workers.

Cons

There is not enough space here...you will work like a Hebrew Slave and that is an understatement.

Advice to Management

Customers are your greatest assets, treat them as such. Set real expectations for your employees.

Extra Space Storage2017-02-05