Extra Space Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Extra Space Storage Reviews

Updated Oct 19, 2019

4.1
  1. "23 years and still going strong"

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture and values at Extra Space have been a match for me for 23 years now. This company is innovative and has shown continuous growth over the decades which has provided opportunities for people like me to progress in a career. I made the switch to self storage from a large big box retailer to get a better life balance and I've never regretted my decision.

Cons

Self storage isn't a sexy business but it is challenging, pays the bills, and provides a good work/life balance.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - FACILITY SERVICES MANAGER in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, amazing management, and a true team approach. ESS doesn't just tell you their values, they live them. I am proud to be a member of the team.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that they need to keep expanding so they can present more opportunities for people to join the team.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  3. "If you like the independence of small business ownership combined with corporate support, this is the job for you!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate Management is very hands-off in the day to day. We have the 80/20 philosophy for development. Corporate/ Management provides the resources for you to succeed. (The 20%) Its up to you to provide the drive and passion (The 80%). Its very much up to you to succeed. There is a strong family atmosphere around here. If you seek the support, you WILL receive it. If your looking for a job that will challenge you... to be your best self then this is the job for you.

Cons

The hours are designed to accommodate the 9 - 5 worker. Most stores operate from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM with a half hour lunch. Management typically tries to keep you close to home but if you end up with a commute then you have little to no evening at home depending on when you go to bed. This is a personal thing, but I'd prefer hours that were earlier. Unfortunately, given the nature of the business, it's important for... us to be available for customers who want to swing in on their way home from work.

Advice to Management

Sound Systems. I know its a site to site thing, but I LOVE having a facility that has Sirius Radio in it. It makes customers feel more comfortable in these giant maze-like buildings and it makes cleaning a bit more fun. :)

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  4. "Great culture, great support from upper management, a real team environment"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Run your own store! Great support and training from the Corporate Team to allow individuals to flourish. Thorough job responsibilities that allow individuals to learn and grow

Cons

Hey, you get dirty sometimes. In order to fulfill the ESS goal of Extra Clean it means having to be hands on in cleaning and maintaining the facility. No such thing as being able to rely on a janitor : )

Advice to Management

The industry continues to grow, it's important Management puts money back into the facilities. Keep them the best in the industry

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  5. "Excellent employment experience"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing work/life balance, positive company culture, low stress work environment, upper management recognizes in house talent and makes efforts to promote from within

Cons

Industry tends to pay lower than others, job seekers don't seem to have self storage on their radar making attracting new talent difficult

Advice to Management

One of my favorite things about Extra Space Storage is their ability to be an industry leader in innovation. A lot of that has been focused on the customer experience so I would like to see some focus shifted towards the employee experience, i.e. becoming the industry leader in compensation and benefits to attract talented job seekers. Recently a new education assistance program has been offered to employees and I... would like to see more along those lines.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  6. "Was one of the best decisions I've chosen along my career path!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grandview, MO

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work with very understanding down to earth people. Mostly non judgmental associates. The pay is good, benefits, PTO, training, company loves to promote within the company. There is always room to advance depending on where you would want to take your career.

Cons

As with any job when dealing with upset customers. Not that is on a daily basis but you will experience it through out your journey when dealing with public. But as far as cons with the company its self, I have no cons at this time..

Advice to Management

find some way to ensure that all managers are on the same page.

7. "Best Company"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Growth, Support, Training, Family style work environment, Pay, Benefits, Pays for uniforms and shoes Honestly for someone who has personally worked in several different fields and has been laid off by companies that you put your blood, sweat, and tears into I wouldn't trade this job for any other job. This company is excellent with benefits, work/life balance, and pay for what your actually... doing on a day to day basis. Above all else this company is employee centered and actually listens to and cares about us. This is an amazing industry with nothing but room for growth and development! You can move up very quickly with this job and they will train and support you every step of the way!! I love Extra Space Storage and if you are a Hard working, motivated, and tired of bouncing around jobs this is the place for you!!!

Cons

Only con that really comes to the forefront is the same con you get with any customer based service. You will get customers that just try and ruin our day but with the support team you have around they are never really successful

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  8. "Friendly & Competent"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone seems to know what they're doing. Communication is direct and helpful. Good collaboration between teams. Genuine care for employees. Huge growth. Lots of cross-training opportunities and promotion potential.

Cons

They've grown so fast that it's a bit hard to keep up with, policy-wise. Sometimes it feels like reaction-mode.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  9. "Extra Space is a fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator

I have been working at Extra Space Storage part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, Comfortable atmosphere, friendly environment and coworkers, truly values their employees

Cons

Pay could be better, more in line with the employee's experience.

Advice to Management

Be willing to pay employees truly for their quality of work and experience.

Extra Space Storage2019-10-17
  10. "Amazing Place to work overall!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing work/ life balance Flexible schedule Pleasant & nice coworkers

Cons

Honestly none that i can think of!

Found 1060 reviews