Extra Space Storage Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Extra Space Storage Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2019

Found 8 reviews

4.1
  1. "Truly excellent work/life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, great culture, exciting technology. As a software engineer, you have so much opportunity for growth and learning here. Everyone is willing to help each other out, within and across teams. Technology is a huge focus for the company and we're always given the resources we need to succeed. It's no surprise to me that we have hardly any turnover on our dev teams. I really enjoy coming... to work every day.

Cons

Stability of our new core product is a struggle, but at the same time it offers a challenge for us to overcome.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Extra Space Storage2019-07-03

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was looking for a place where I could be challenged and keep growing in my carrier and I found both here at Extra Space Storage, The culture was also an important part of my decision and I can tell that the principles used to build the culture here are being used to provide a healthy environment for each employee, I look forward to see how the company will continue evolving and improving.

Cons

Time off is very limited

Extra Space Storage2019-06-13
  3. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture with flexible schedule and great management

Cons

Not very much PTO and medical costs are kind of high. Still have to wear a collard shirt and pants(rather than shorts)

Advice to Management

Increase the amount of PTO a little. Try and lower medical costs

Extra Space Storage2019-06-17
  4. "Great environment/people, subpar compensation"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. If I occasionally (once or twice a month) need to work from home even that is supported. I really like a lot of the people.

Cons

The entire compensation package is mediocre at best. This may simply be the perspective of a software engineer in a company that refuses to accept the reality that they are a tech company more than a real estate company, but the fact remains. Jobs I held before this offered more pay, literally twice as much PTO, and better health benefits that costed less. This creates an interesting paradigm. On the one hand, the... fact that any engineers stay here is a credit to what the company is doing right, because they CERTAINLY aren't staying for the compensation. The other side of the coin is, I wouldn't be surprised if the engineering department is one misstep away from losing about half their people. What would be most tragic, if it came to this, is some of the most skilled and experienced would be the first to leave because other opportunities would be much more lucrative.

Advice to Management

Improve pay, benefits, and (or at the very least) PTO or it's only a matter of time before your most valuable assets are enticed away by better offers.

Extra Space Storage2019-06-13
  5. "Good values, benefits lagging behind, great work environment."

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO is personable and caring, IT dept has liberty to train on new products, IT Management is great. I work with many different departments, and every person respects each other. Best job I have had in the past 10 years, and would be longer albeit for the Cons listed here.

Cons

Benefits are on the expensive side. They do offer HSA and HMO options, but they are expensive compared to other IT companies in SL and Utah. Lots of turnover in HR, so I never know who to talk to.

Advice to Management

Spend more on benefits so we can be in a competitive market for jobs. You will keep employees that way and not have to train new ones. Whats with the turnover in HR?

Extra Space Storage2019-06-12

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture here is amazing, this is a place where not only do you feel valued as an employee, but you also feel like your opinions and ideas matter. Upper management and peers are fun and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

The work at times can be stressful, however, it is not overly so and management takes care to keep on the lookout for employee burnout and to take action to prevent it.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate an environment where change doesn't only happen from the top down, but also from the bottom up.

Extra Space Storage2018-08-24

"Please Don't Waste Your Time"

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you need to get 1-5 years on your resume and move on, here is where you want to be. They will not be truthful about anything. No loyalty paid back, all lip service, no long term commitments on their side. So if you need something quick and not long term, here is your spot.

Cons

Literally everything. Pay, respect, management, benefits, location, politics, career growth, projects, and did I mention management?

Advice to Management

CEO and founder are amazing. They have no insight into what is going on within the corporate departments. They may not care and if they do they are being lead by their lower executives in a very bad direction.

Extra Space Storage2016-06-13

Extra Space Storage Response

June 20, 2016Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Extra Space Storage. Many people are surprised when they find out how much Extra Space uses technology and how technology drives our processes and improvements. Because of that we have built one of the best IT teams in Utah. ...

"No Future"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved my team. I learned a lot from my team.

Cons

Management doesn't care about the future of BI. I came to work with this great team and they all got screwed. I found another job right away for so much more money and another great team. Management are nice guys but they just lie about how they care. Actions are the important thing. So many people are interviewing and looking to leave.

Advice to Management

I don't even know. The culture and future is scary. I jumped out ASAP.

Extra Space Storage2016-06-13