Extra Space Storage Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
  1. "Nice place to Work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Is a really team work company and give you the opportunity to grow

Cons

Schedules as we don't have Saturdays off

2. "Do Not Recommend"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sundays Off Insurance Benefits Paid Holidays and PTO

Cons

Favoritism No Recognition for hard working employees DM and DTLs are not professional Employees get away with not doing their job or calling in 5 times in one month Secret shoppers who know nothing Lots of drama Micro Management

Advice to Management

My advice is to treat your experienced and tenured employees better. Also, be more specific on the DMs and DTLs you hire because they are super unprofessional and disrespectful. And hold the employees who can’t even do their daily job accountable. I could go on about all the advice I have for management.

Extra Space Storage2019-09-14
  3. "Great starting point"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, no micro-managing, decent bonus structure, make your own schedule

Cons

not a lot of room for growth unless you're willing to relocate.

Extra Space Storage2019-09-11
  4. "Not a place to promote"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits, Well known brand, meet lots of good people "customers"

Cons

Lots of back stabbing, gossiping, lying, favoritism, jealousy, not a good work environment due to fellow employees.

Advice to Management

Take notice of your good employees, stop the gossip and do not help spread it. If you take notice of the good employees you would not have a problem promoting them to DM. Put systems in place to ensure that the culture and values that you speak of is truly how the company is being ran on all levels.

Extra Space Storage2019-09-12
  5. "Sports Spectators Come work for Extra Space Storage. Closed on Sundays!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Customer Eccentric, minimal supervision, great opportunity to help others, family oriented company who really value their employees. I could go on forever but these are the things that I value the most about my job !

Cons

This is not an office job alone, you have to clean units, sweep and mop floors, pick up trash and other minor repairs that arise.

Advice to Management

Keep Up the Good Work! Although we constantly go through changes to keep up with the times your appreciation for your employees has never changed. You continue to care about us and work really well to keep us feeling like family!

Extra Space Storage2019-08-26
  6. "Extra Space is a Great Place to work."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love helping customers and the gratitude they show me for helping them.

Cons

We have to Saturdays, it is a day we can make a lot of business.

Advice to Management

The only think I would say is they pit us against each other TOO much. We should all come together as a TEAM to be the competition

Extra Space Storage2019-08-26

"80% of the positive reviews are fake"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros to this company. Run, just run!

Cons

This company has a contest for reviews and will send you a gift card if your name is drawn. Most of the positive reviews are either upper management posting fake reviews or they are from a contest from.employees trying to win a gift card. The CEO/ Comapany had a contest to win a gift card for any of the awards this company has won. Sure you'll get positive reviews if you are offering free money. You can take... it for what you want. Most of the reviews here are fake. The company is full of drama and favoritism. You will not promote unless you are in the DM's group of favorites. The company has very high turn over. This includes upper management all the way down to the bottom. We receive emails almost weekly of all the people who have left the company. The list is usually 8 people in the upper management level. Upper management is excessive. All over paid. Especially the CEO. Way over paid

Advice to Management

Stop paying for fake reviews and fix the company! Stop the favoritism! Pay the store employees! Stop overpaying the CEO and all the upper management. Get rid of half of the upper management.

Extra Space Storage2019-09-26
  8. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance Sundays off (sometimes)

Cons

Favoritism - some are preferred over others and promoted over others Multiple bosses - you have one dm who is supposed to be your direct supervisor but 3 other in the leadership role that are constantly changing your schedule, your job location so who should we answer too? Constant change in job location - Constant change in scheduling..... which means they could determine to change my job location without... so much as a blink of an eye. Gossip - a few coworkers that live to gossip about everyone and anyone. Spread rumors and lies and management looks the other way. No loyalty to long term employees. Various people let go for various reasons ranging from attendance to metrics (exactly what those favorites are also guilty of but that get swept under the rug)

Advice to Management

Take a hard close look at the management and leadership team. The turnover in the last few years should tell you there is something wrong. Make sure that new and existing employee now who their immediate supervisor is and dtl’s should be a trainer and not the boss.

Extra Space Storage2019-09-18

"Great Job, give or take a few things"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly the best job I've ever held. Work/Life balance is outstanding. All you do is rent storage units to people, clean and keep up with maintenance around the property and other general tasks expected at most retail-esque jobs. You also could live on-site where the rent and utilities are free.

Cons

You are a salesperson first and foremost. You will have to sell insurance to folks on every rental you do and try to get them to leave Google Reviews in the office. If this is not your thing, I'd look elsewhere. Depending on where you work, you could have to move to another store and possibly move apartments if you live on-site. You really don't have a say in the matter either. Like most corporate places, you could... do really well at this job and never really get anything out of it. People have been passed over for promotions many times regardless of how good their sales numbers are or their customer service skills. It's really all about who upper management likes best is how you move up in this company.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is a slippery slope. Promote the ones who will drive the business forward and bring income to your company for years to come. Do not promote the ones who you see as friends and confidants. This is will ultimately cause the good eggs to leave, making it much harder for you to fill those shoes later on.

Extra Space Storage2019-08-20
  10. "Very Satisfied"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training program is so organized and all employees have great teamwork

Cons

I am not able to think of any Cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Extra Space Storage2019-08-03