ExxonMobil Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ExxonMobil Chairman & CEO Darren Woods
Darren Woods

Pros
  • Great company culture and work life balance (in 101 reviews)

• Great work environment with genuine people that want you to succeed (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • It's important to set work life balance boundaries (in 92 reviews)

• Tough ranking system and very competitive environment (in 143 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cypress, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people and company culture. Feels as company really values its people. Strong sense of security during recent down turn

Cons

Pay is noticeable less than competitors, very antiquated performance evaluation process, struggles to value experienced hires, rigid dress code for men

Advice to Management

Current ranking process needs to go as it does not adequately recognize and promote top performers.

2. "Seems challenging but sterile"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work and well paid

Cons

Sterile cold environment and not much comradery

Advice to Management

Job handover process should be improved

3. "Intern - Monthly"

Current Intern - Intern - Monthly in Spring, TX
    Current Intern - Intern - Monthly in Spring, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with very smart people. Everything is business drive. A lot of resources to experiment and use.

Cons

Safety protocols could take up to a few months therefore delaying your project.

5. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Great Place to work, Copious opportunity to advance

Cons

Rigid, but appropriate work culture

Advice to Management

Less Rigidity, will go a long way

6. "Great company, highly competitive, long commute."

Current Employee - Global Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Global Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Multiple opportunities with frequent rotation all within one company, maintaining existing benefits plan eliminates need for frequent job hunting.

Global company with oppositions on nearly every continent.

Cons

Campus move out of Houston to Spring is a burden for many who don't want to be forced to live in the suburbs.

"Stable work environment, but lots of bureaucracy."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being a huge company ExxonMobil is an extremely stable place to work. The people are very intelligent and friendly. Despite its location the new Houston campus is beautiful and a great place to work. The company cares about safety and ergonomics.

Cons

It is difficult to get noticed and advance if you don't have a very particular personality. You are ranked against your peers and there isn't a lot of transparency into how you are doing.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about career opportunities and don't just promote one type of person, you are missing out on diverse perspectives.

"Analyst and Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the employees are great to work with and the company does offer good salaries and benefits.

Cons

Horrible performance review system. You are ranked in groups. A few people are at the top, a few at the bottom and the majority in the middle. It usually amounts to a popularity contest, rather than based upon your actual performance. You end up being ranked by some supervisors who don't even know you and the jobs included in the ranking groups are often very different. This makes it very difficult to rank people correctly. I was in the top ranking group for most of my career but was transferred to a new group. In my first ranking session in the new group I fell down two ranking groups and was told that I was a poor performer. Instead of helping me to improve, they gave me more assignments so that I fell behind. No matter how hard I tried, they kept putting obstacles in my way. I was told that I could separate or be put on a two month performance improvement plan and that if I didn't improve during this time period, I would be terminated. I chose to retire early since I was planning to retire in a few years. For most of my 32 years of employment it was a good experience, but it shouldn't be so easy for a new group to drop someone two levels in the ranking. The new group that I was transferred to had employees who would sabotage and lie about other employees so that they would remain in their current ranking group. It was ironic, considering that the company wants employees to be team players and to have to have integrity. Yet, this ranking systems pits people against each other and employees who feel threatened often resort to sabotage so that they retain their ranking. Also, my group lead had 49% input into my ranking and was in the same ranking group that I was in.

Advice to Management

Don't ever allow an employee to drop more than one ranking level. Better yet, do away with this archaic ranking system. Also, a group lead should never be in the same ranking group as their subordinates.

"Wonderful company, a little behind the times."

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, management is truly interested in seeing you succeed, great community, impeccable safety record, great safety culture, opportunities for advancement, management really listens to your work preferences

Cons

Technology is way behind the times (am currently using an '07 model laptop). High sensitivity to security makes it difficult to get things done sometimes. Management has yet to really jump on board with flexible work hours, remote work, and many of the other more progressive ways to get work done, so expect to work 9-5 Monday through Friday unless you luck out and get a really cool manager.

Advice to Management

Adopt more flexible work situations! Flexible hours and remote work. This is where the whole workforce is headed, and study after study has linked it to greater employee satisfaction and productivity.

10. "Paralegal"

Former Contractor - Paralegal in Baytown, TX
    Former Contractor - Paralegal in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Personal office, some social time, good pay

Cons

Management are not nice, they don't care about you no matter how much they claim to

Advice to Management

Be nice. Lose the attitude. You're not God.

"Good company with strong values"

Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization is focused on developing their people from within. There is an emphasis on team work and a positive environment. Great coworkers.

Cons

Culture is unique and distinctive. It can be a different experience for those who have worked outside of energy. It's important to set work life balance boundaries.

Showing 425 of 1,825 reviews