ExxonMobil Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Houston Reviews

Updated September 19, 2017

Houston, TX Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People sometimes can have flexible working hours to meet work-life balance needs (in 110 reviews)

• really interesting work environment and a place to learn (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's important to set work life balance boundaries (in 96 reviews)

• Performance ranking system is depending highly on human judgement (in 150 reviews)

"Reliable...but not fun"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job stability is good, pay is good (if you rank well), retirement plan is good

Cons

Not really enjoyable to work in such a stuffy environment. Everyone walks on egg shells, so as not to ruin their ranking. People also push pet projects that may not actually be beneficial, but look good for ranking.

Advice to Management

Get rid of forced ranking and see how much more productive people become.

2. "Tuff but fair safety program"

Former Contractor - Safety Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Safety Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a very good safety program that has concern for all it's employees and contractors.

Cons

Some personal are too strict and use the safety program as a weapon against contractors.

Advice to Management

The safety program is a great model for all work sites. Exxon has really positioned itself as a true leader in safety for all it's personnel.

"Meh... And getting "Meh"er"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Salary
    * Size helps when working w/ vendors and third parties - a lot of weight to swing around.
    * Houston Campus is really nice
    * 401k matching

Cons

* Leadership framework incentivizes selfish and poor behavior from those seeking to climb the corporate ladder
    * Organization does not actively shed dead weight as frequently as it should. There are too many people sitting around collective paychecks.
    * Lack of vision/strategy across several of the major business lines.
    * Lack of solid, well-communicated vision/strategy for the corporation as a whole
    * Annual performance evaluation process incentivizes bad behavior, demoralizes large percentages of the employee population, and is overly time-consuming to administer.

Advice to Management

* Redesign & modernize employee evaluation process
    * Redesign & modernize leadership framework
    * Redesign & modernize business practices, corporate vision, and strategy

4. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse, challenging assignments with significant responsibility and development opportunities

Cons

conservative, slower moving vs other industries

"Stay away from the finance function"

Former Employee - FINANCE STAFF in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - FINANCE STAFF in Spring, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits plan, median salary compared to other majors.
    You get to meet a lot of people.
    On a very rare job you might get to travel somewhere.

Cons

1. Extremely long hours. Pay on a unit basis is lower than the other majors. No job I have been in in years has allowed me to leave on time. No matter how long I have been there that day. This is not like what you see in the rest of the business or with the engineers.
    2. Volatile inconsistent management across the organization. Threatening to fire someone because they took their 8 month pregnant wife to the doctor is not a sign of good management.
    3. Old management styles, reluctance to look at or consider anything outside they have not come up with. From the top to the bottom in the management rung the story is the same, everyone is empowered but nothing is changing and everyone is waiting for someone else to act.
    4. No balance in financial jobs. Understaffed and they keep promoting managers who reduce headcount
    5. Little opportunity to work in other countries if you are US staff and not part of the golden boys. The recruiting slide will try to play this up but in reality you will be stuck most likely on the campus for your career.
    6. If you are on US staff and diverse they are only using you as a workhorse with not a lot of upward mobility.
    7. US executives are not very diverse. The ranks of the executives are not representative of the actual US workforce and these is no desire to change. All you have to do is pull the last 10 years of job rotations and promotions to see the organizational bias. The mentoring, promotional and ranking system are not designed to promote or value diversity. If you mention this to management the excuses start coming up and you become the problem.
    8. Little reward or recognition given to staff on a consistent basis. You will get rewarded and promoted if you do a mediocre job on your desk and talk up United Way faster than if you really make improvements to your actual job and base business.
    9. Little upward mobility for short service people as you basically have to be grey or near dead to be considered for promotion to executive in the US. The senior managers don't retire and the rest of staff are left on hold / do not get the managerial experience until these people leave.
    10. They will tell you you own your career at the finance career forums but at the end of the day what you want to do and where you want to go makes little difference. The secret job committee controls where you go next and if you do not fit the mound, the direction tends to be down......In all my jobs I have been put in the things I have said I do not want to do EVERY time.
    I could write more and give specific examples but it will not change anything.

Advice to Management

1. Listening at the Controller panel, making excuses and telling the new hires to email you if things do not change in 6 months will not change anything.
    2. You froze wages for staff telling them they were overpaid yet YOU got some really nice shares. The SEC has some good records....
    3. The system was designed to recognize and promote people who are exactly like you - no one else.
    4. You are not the only one who has a defined benefit retirement plan and there is no guarantee this company will not be like GM in the future. The pension accounting board has some nice records....
    5. If you do not want people treating your kids like this why are you allowing and promoting others who do?
    6. For every "good" story you can come up with we can come up with multiple rebuttals because we have seen real time how you actually work.
    7. Why are there so many for life expats in the US?

If you do not see a problem with this then you will never get why the new hires are leaving.
    If you do not see the need to change then you are part of the problem.
    You and the people in the highest CLs need to leave. Else continue to milk the system - it worked for you.

"Manager Retired - now in retrospect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great company with the smartest people, good processes, support if you use it right. Lots of varied opportunities. Good long term pay package.

Can experience lots of different jobs, businesses, and locations without leaving the company.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, very process oriented. Pay review system can serve to demotivate.

Advice to Management

Consider a less rigid performance evaluation system that does not demotivate and provides managers with more flexibility in raises and mobility of staff.

7. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great corporation! loved it.

Cons

Pay could have been much higher

8. "Oil and gas"

Former Employee - Process Technician in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of culture to work with.

Cons

Women have the end of the stick.

"Analyst and Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the employees are great to work with and the company does offer good salaries and benefits.

Cons

Horrible performance review system. You are ranked in groups. A few people are at the top, a few at the bottom and the majority in the middle. It usually amounts to a popularity contest, rather than based upon your actual performance. You end up being ranked by some supervisors who don't even know you and the jobs included in the ranking groups are often very different. This makes it very difficult to rank people correctly. I was in the top ranking group for most of my career but was transferred to a new group. In my first ranking session in the new group I fell down two ranking groups and was told that I was a poor performer. Instead of helping me to improve, they gave me more assignments so that I fell behind. No matter how hard I tried, they kept putting obstacles in my way. I was told that I could separate or be put on a two month performance improvement plan and that if I didn't improve during this time period, I would be terminated. I chose to retire early since I was planning to retire in a few years. For most of my 32 years of employment it was a good experience, but it shouldn't be so easy for a new group to drop someone two levels in the ranking. The new group that I was transferred to had employees who would sabotage and lie about other employees so that they would remain in their current ranking group. It was ironic, considering that the company wants employees to be team players and to have to have integrity. Yet, this ranking systems pits people against each other and employees who feel threatened often resort to sabotage so that they retain their ranking. Also, my group lead had 49% input into my ranking and was in the same ranking group that I was in.

Advice to Management

Don't ever allow an employee to drop more than one ranking level. Better yet, do away with this archaic ranking system. Also, a group lead should never be in the same ranking group as their subordinates.

10. "Excellent Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cypress, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people and company culture. Feels as company really values its people. Strong sense of security during recent down turn

Cons

Pay is noticeable less than competitors, very antiquated performance evaluation process, struggles to value experienced hires, rigid dress code for men

Advice to Management

Current ranking process needs to go as it does not adequately recognize and promote top performers.

Showing 444 of 1,989 reviews