ExxonMobil Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 66 reviews

4.0
ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods
Darren Woods
  1. "Supply Chain - Global Logistics"

Intern in Coppell, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment with genuine people that want you to succeed.

Cons

Required to move home locations every year or two.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

ExxonMobil2016-06-10
  2. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and perks.

Cons

Did not feel that other employees had any sense of wanting me to succeed

ExxonMobil2016-06-17

"Very Intelligent and Competent Community"

Current Intern - Intern in Paulsboro, NJ

I have been working at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

The people that work for ExxonMobil are incredibly bright, but also very down to earth. I think the employees make the work environment work smoothly because they are so competent and level headed.

Cons

I am reluctant to continue working in the oil industry as I want to be a part of something that will have a positive impact on the environment.

Advice to Management

I think that there could be more camaraderie between employees, but generally very good environment. ExxonMobil is a large company, and it can be difficult to induce change.

ExxonMobil2015-11-01
  4. "Great Experience"

Financial Analyst Intern in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

The people here really demonstrate what it means to be high quality, while also very humble. As an intern, you get a project that you work on over the course of the summer and then present to a room of more than 50 managers who will question you regarding your findings. There's a great deal of autonomy in approaching the solution to your problem. Your supervisor acts as a sounding board, but won't hold your hand... through it and that's great. At the end of the summer, you know you've made an impact on an important business project. The new campus is amazing and probably one of the best environments that you could work in.

Cons

There is often times a "not broke, don't fix it" attitude when it comes to improvements. You can definitely see the lack of agility within the company, but that's to be expected with a company so large. The new campus is an example of how they're trying to get out of that stuffy mindset, but it will take time.

Advice to Management

Encourage change drivers. Give interns more exposure to the business. Increase job shadowing time.

ExxonMobil2015-09-24
  5. "Depends on what you like"

Former Intern - Intern in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

-Great pay -Big name company -Can't say about benefits since being an intern I didn't get any of those.

Cons

-Stiff and stuck up. -At each other's back to make it to the top. -You have to basically compete with your peers to get good rankings. You're still expected to be a team player though. -It seems like all they care about is money.

Advice to Management

Make up your mind on what you want from your employees. And don't make them feel like they're less than what they are just because they don't fit your standards. Everyone is different.

ExxonMobil2015-10-02

"Awesome Pay, Fun Projects, Still an O&G Company"

Former Intern - Intern in Spring, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

The pay is great, the program is well thought out and well organized, and the campus is incredible. I loved going to work and felt valuable in my group. We got incredible training in design, agile development, state of the art technology, and had many opportunities for networking.

Cons

This is not Facebook or Google. You'll be in business clothes every day in a highly structured environment with a strong hierarchical structure.

Advice to Management

Don't give interns boring / safe projects. Chill out with the "corporate" culture. Everyone at Exxon is talented and capable, so why not take the structure down a notch and let employees organically add value.

ExxonMobil2015-09-03

"ExxonMobil Internship"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Can't get a better pay anywhere.

Cons

Full time hires are expected to work way too many hours

Advice to Management

There should be the option to work 9/80's or 4/10's instead of being expected to work 5/12's every week.

ExxonMobil2015-08-29
  8. "Internship Review"

Former Intern - Intern - Monthly in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

Exxon offers great growth opportunities by providing you a real project to complete and making the tools for you to gain the knowledge needed to complete the project available. Very encouraging environment and you are treated like a real employee.

Cons

Your internship experience can vary based on your technical mentor and supervisor. Different supervisors and mentors worked with their interns in very dynamic ways.

Advice to Management

Provide supervisors with a greater degree of detail and structure for the program. Make sure they understand the expectations and important dates for the internship.

ExxonMobil2015-08-19
  9. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

Lots of work to do. There is always something to do and something new to learn. The company is big enough that many different opportunities are available to explore. At the forefront of technology Opportunities abroad possible Everyone is friendly and willing to help, very collaborative environment

Cons

Throughput oriented company. Sometimes quality is sacrificed for quantity. Managers rotate between every 18 months and 2 years, so longer-term projects may get put to the wayside. It's sometimes hit or miss with new supervisors.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your engineers. Challenge them to help them grow into better managers. Keep some soft skills training so that when they do become managers that they are personable.

ExxonMobil2015-08-14
  10. "Great internship program"

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil for less than a year

Pros

Great pay Real work assignments and projects given to interns Interns are generally assigned good supervisors who give feedback regularly and buddies to help with the transition to the culture Great assistance with relocation Networking opportunities with leadership

Cons

VERY corporate Your performance is transparent to nearly everybody (good & bad) Lack of diversity but the culture is slowly changing Generally hierarchical Forced ranking creates a very competitive culture Work-style balance is off, skewed more towards the work I have seen contractors treated very poorly on the new campus. If at all possible, try to shield interns from seeing this demeaning behavior.... Millennials tend to be compassionate and more focused on empowering others ("Generation Nice"). What I saw during my summer term made me seriously pause and consider the culture I wanted to enter full-time.

Advice to Management

For the younger supervisors: never ever indicate to interns/co-ops that their success equates to better opportunities for your career in the future. A supervisor made the mistake of telling me this during my mid-term evaluation and I was appalled that the priority all along was their career and not my professional success as an intern. For the older supervisors: Give meaningful feedback and be supportive. Also... be patient with us!

ExxonMobil2015-08-14