ExxonMobil Reviews | Glassdoor

ExxonMobil Reviews

Updated November 22, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People sometimes can have flexible working hours to meet work-life balance needs (in 115 reviews)

• Fantastic work environment with new modern facilities in Houston (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes the work life balance is difficult due to high workload (in 102 reviews)

• Performance ranking system is depending highly on human judgement (in 162 reviews)

1. "Loosing talent faster than gained"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good starting salary especially for a college graduate, big company with many opportunities.

Cons

Company has a bureaucratic approach. One has no say over their career as all decisions are made behind close doors and you have no choice but to accept whatever "opportunity" they assign you next. Additionally, salary increase become nearly minimal, if any at all, resulting to less than market value. Finally, there is a procedure for everything therefore change is very hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Listen you your employees and don't be afraid of change, change is essential to staying competitive.

2. "Research Technician"

Current Contractor - Research Technician in Clinton, NJ
    Current Contractor - Research Technician in Clinton, NJ

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative work.

Helpful people.

Lots of opportunities to learn.

Creative environment.

Cons

Practically no upward mobility. And no real hints at fixing it soon.

If you are a full-time technician, you have pretty nice job stability. If you are a contractor, you can get thrown out at a moment's notice.

Workload can be very stressful.

Depending on your researcher, you may have zero influence on the actual research.

Heavy divide between technician and upper rank in CSR. Practically NO chance of moving up and out of the technician rank unless you move out first.

If you're a contractor, you are constantly walking on eggshells. You have practically no say when it comes to your work, and absolutely no say when it comes to your contracts longevity. If your researcher wants you gone for whatever weak reason, you're gone.

Advice to Management

The ladder for technicians doesn't exist. Once the "old guard" of technicians retires, there will be no real longevity in technicians at ExxonMobil. In this day and age, people are very focused on moving up -- sitting as a technician for a lifetime is no longer a career goal for people. Management needs to develop some tangible career paths for technicians, or the position will dry up.

Start looking and promoting within, instead of wasting money on so many dopey PhDs.

3. "Not the best place to work"

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked there for a while and gained some experience

Cons

WAY underpaid for the work I was doing. They asked to cut salaries virtually in half. If you are a temp, don't expect to get hired on and if you work there, don't expect to advance much. They will call you, while you're on vacation, to tell you you're fired. (even though you cleared days with management in advance, and found coverage). Do NOT sign anything without reading beforehand. When they are done with you, they will have you sign something saying they can terminate, at will, days before. Unprofessional.

"Good benefits and pay, but that's about it."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at ExxonMobil (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The compensation and benefits are outstanding. You get a defined-benefit pension, plus a strong 401k match.
    -Health benefits are okay. A little expensive, but that's common these days.
    -The projects you work on can be interesting at times, mostly because of their size.
    -The focus on continuous improvement will strengthen your own skills.
    -Nice Christmas party.
    -Tickets to sporting events.

Cons

-Management is often inexperienced and more concerned about covering themselves rather than developing your career.
    -It's the old boys club, where white males do best.
    -You cannot rock the boat at all. If you bring up an idea in a meeting, your superiors will dismiss it and make it a point to make you look stupid in front of the entire group. If you actually do have a good idea or improvement, someone (maybe your manager) will take all of the credit while you do all of the work.
    -Promises are made and broken. Do X and Y, and we'll get you a promotion, but when time comes to get that person promoted it comes down to favoritism and your manager's ability to influence.
    -The ranking system emphasizes politics rather actual performance. You can do nothing, but if you suck up to the right people and tell them how great you are, you're in the top 10%. Meanwhile, others that actually add value get ranked in the bottom third or are shown the door. The remaining cohort is full of politicians who can't get anything done because the real workers left or got pushed out.
    -Long hours are expected. If you're inefficient, but stay until 6 or 7, you get a pat on the back. Those that are more efficient are shunned.

Advice to Management

-Eliminate the stacked ranking program as many other companies have done. It simply doesn't work in a mature organization like XOM.
    -Encourage more collaboration

5. "Sale Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hammond, IN

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great guest interactions
    Great opportunity for someone that is in school or looking for a second job.

Cons

***Bad manager alert!
    ***Rash of Robberies in Indiana (Hammond area)
    Not 100% safe!

A manager shouldn't brag on how long he or she were a manager!!! It is very unprofessional to call your entire staff names. Lashing out at everyone because she is angry, that is definitely not good management. Voided lines is a big issue with this company and you will get written up for things that is not your fault, example, people not wanting to pay for the items because they dont have enough money or they are just rude. You also have to work 8 -10 without any breaks. Meanwhile the manager is sitting in the office taking advantage of the other employees. Over all not a good place to work based on manager's nasty attitude.

Advice to Management

Hire new manager for some of stores. Eliminate void lines and make sure that employees are taking breaks because that makes a difference.

6. "Good if you like slow pace and job security."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ExxonMobil (More than 3 years)

Pros

High comp (similar to tech).

Cons

Little say in career trajectory. Too risk averse, similar to government job.

7. "Will never even try to work there again."

Former Employee - Cashier in Laurel, MS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Laurel, MS

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only best time I had there was when the manager was not there.

Cons

She gossiped back and forth with a couple of the other employees. If she had a bad day, then you had a bad day. If you made a mistake, then she would trash talk about you to the other employees or embarrass you in front of other customers. She would never just take you to the side and talk to you. If you needed to talk to her about something, then another employee would know about it. Never work for Exxon Clarks Oil store #49.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be an adult, and stop acting like a high school student. Be a manager, not a gossiper. Be mature about things. Probably why you lost 3 employees in one week from quitting.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benfits. Starting salary for engineers is high but raises are minimal and bonus are non existent until you reach management level and are ranked in the top.

Cons

Terrible work life balance. Company does not care about employees. Majority of the mangers are all white men who are all yes men and think a like. There is very little diversity and very few women who are at managerial level. Existing mangers will rank who they like on the top and ranking system ends up being a popularity game versus it being about accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Remove antiquated ranking system as it serves very little purpose. Diversify workforce and ensure diversity across management.

"Forced Ranking Victim (GSC EMIT)"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good.
    If you don't like your job/group, you can move. Although you must network in total secrecy to get something you might want - the official process is a black box.

Cons

After 8+ years of being ranked in the middle and trending upward, my management suddenly dropped me down into the bottom third with absolutely no warning or reason. When I asked why, they gave me bogus excuses that were demonstrably false and they knew it.

I have since moved into another assignment, but I am finding that moving up is a helluva lot harder than moving down - your management has to take points from someone else and give them to you. Meantime I'm missing out on raises I would have received if I was only a couple points higher. I may never get back to where I was, even though I have always performed at a high level.

Any company where this can happen to a hardworking, customer-focused person is seriously f*cked up.

Advice to Management

Same thing everyone else says - get rid of forced ranking system. Personally I think ranking is ok, just not forced ranking. Listen to the experts who agree that forced ranking only works for a couple of years, then just hurts morale after that.

10. "ExxonMobl Review"

Former Employee - Operation Material Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operation Material Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to have on your resume.

Cons

It is a good old boys network and anyone outside of that network is not a fit.

Advice to Management

We are living in 2016, HR needs to revamp the business model and make it accommodating to everyone because your ethnicity doesn't define intelligence.

Showing 101 of 2,137 reviews