ExxonMobil Reviews | Glassdoor

1,568 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,568 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People sometimes can have flexible working hours to meet work-life balance needs (in 105 reviews)

• really interesting work environment and a place to learn (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • It's important to set work life balance boundaries (in 94 reviews)

• Performance ranking system is depending highly on human judgement (in 145 reviews)

1. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great corporation! loved it.

Cons

Pay could have been much higher

2. "Oil and gas"

Former Employee - Process Technician in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of culture to work with.

Cons

Women have the end of the stick.

3. "Premier place to work in O&G"

I have been working at ExxonMobil (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity under one corporate umbrella, meritocracy, and pay for performance, job security in an industry with little, strong value identity

Cons

large company politics, oil industry can be a turn off for some

"Analyst and Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the employees are great to work with and the company does offer good salaries and benefits.

Cons

Horrible performance review system. You are ranked in groups. A few people are at the top, a few at the bottom and the majority in the middle. It usually amounts to a popularity contest, rather than based upon your actual performance. You end up being ranked by some supervisors who don't even know you and the jobs included in the ranking groups are often very different. This makes it very difficult to rank people correctly. I was in the top ranking group for most of my career but was transferred to a new group. In my first ranking session in the new group I fell down two ranking groups and was told that I was a poor performer. Instead of helping me to improve, they gave me more assignments so that I fell behind. No matter how hard I tried, they kept putting obstacles in my way. I was told that I could separate or be put on a two month performance improvement plan and that if I didn't improve during this time period, I would be terminated. I chose to retire early since I was planning to retire in a few years. For most of my 32 years of employment it was a good experience, but it shouldn't be so easy for a new group to drop someone two levels in the ranking. The new group that I was transferred to had employees who would sabotage and lie about other employees so that they would remain in their current ranking group. It was ironic, considering that the company wants employees to be team players and to have to have integrity. Yet, this ranking systems pits people against each other and employees who feel threatened often resort to sabotage so that they retain their ranking. Also, my group lead had 49% input into my ranking and was in the same ranking group that I was in.

Advice to Management

Don't ever allow an employee to drop more than one ranking level. Better yet, do away with this archaic ranking system. Also, a group lead should never be in the same ranking group as their subordinates.

5. "Procurement Associate"

Pros

Large O&G company with operations world wide. Good benefits provided you stay long enough to enjoy the benefits. There are numerous positions within the company to be filled.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement if you're not the chosen few. Force ranking and transparency provides little honesty to evaluation system.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people.

6. "A good place to work if you are in business core functions"

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EM is the great company that has a history of over 130 years. It can deal with business in a timely, safety and professional manner with quality. the benefits there are great and the work load is not very big. You will know some nice people at work there, The company can also protect your rights. A good place to work

Cons

Don't stay in a department remote to the core business for too long, especially your boss is not as talent as you expected..some people said it is a good place to grow old, since you don't have to be excel and as long as you are not the worst.

7. "Professional"

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Advancement, excellent Salary, nice campus

Cons

Not family oriented, let the good employees slip away

Advice to Management

Keep the producing employees and help them to balance home life and work. Don't let them slip out of your hands.

8. "Excellent Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cypress, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people and company culture. Feels as company really values its people. Strong sense of security during recent down turn

Cons

Pay is noticeable less than competitors, very antiquated performance evaluation process, struggles to value experienced hires, rigid dress code for men

Advice to Management

Current ranking process needs to go as it does not adequately recognize and promote top performers.

"Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits! Company matches 7% when you put in 6% into savings plan. You get more time off than with regular jobs and can swap your holidays giving you even more days.. I get about 5-6 weeks off a year. Company truly values employees and tries to take care of them. Really great reputation!

Cons

Shift work which might be hard on some people but I love it! Job is not for the accident prone.

Advice to Management

Being bogged down with paper work and numerous tasks to help implement safety is not always the best approach. I find it stresses out people who have been there many years and they aren't able to concentrate on training up new employees and give them their wisdom because there is always some safety paperwork to do, or meeting. It'd be best for them to pass their knowledge and expertise to the next people so the units can continue to run smoothly!

10. "Great company."

Former Employee - Operator in Port Neches, TX
    Former Employee - Operator in Port Neches, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly place to work nice people great salary and good benefits. Really easy going place to work for and safe.

Cons

Some long hours and there is shift work asked to come in when off and some overtime is mandatory. Sometime the work load is a bit much.

Advice to Management

Get more involved.

Showing 1,568 of 1,906 reviews