Eyemart Express Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2020

3.1
Eyemart Express CEO Michael Bender (no image)
Michael Bender
Pros
  • "The Job is fairly easy and offers free glasses and exams to employees once a year(in 8 reviews)

• "Decent pay for management (not regular associates) but still below other optical competitor pay(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The manager was a tyrant and upper management didn't seem to have an issue with her style of motivation(in 18 reviews)

• "can have long hours even for part time associates, with no help/care from upper management(in 9 reviews)

"good place to work"

Current Employee - Licensed Lab Manager

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pays well. It seems like the company really cares about the employees and they think of the best ways to help accommodate them. A lot of the long time employees are very happy working here.

Cons

When you work with people and managers you get along with, it will be good. If you clash with people, well, you are stuck there until they decide to leave.

May 29, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for the feedback! We do have a number of associates who have been with us for a while, and we are thankful to them for helping make Eyemart the great business it is today. Please let us know what feedback you have through your DM or by reaching out to HR directly. We are always looking for ways to make Eyemart an even better place to be!

2. "Overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Tech

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, potential for growth, open communication policy, positive workplace culture

Cons

Starting pay could be better. Not necessarily a con, but like most jobs, your experience will vary depending on location and the people you work with

Continue reading
  3. "Flexible working environment"

Current Employee - Retail Optician in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Eyemart Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible shift options, Great coworkers

Cons

High turn over rate in doctors office

May 29, 2020HR Business Partner

We sure are proud of our great coworkers and excellent retail hours! Those two things are critical to our success for both out internal teams as well as our patients and customers who do business with us. Please let us know what additional ideas you have to continue to make Eyemart Express and exceptional place to both work and shop!

4. COVID-19

"Decent job"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

They care about their employees. Especially during the coronavirus crisis

Cons

The base pay wasn’t good definitely deserved more. A lot of money comes from incentives but it is inconsistent

April 28, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback – especially during this unprecedented time as we navigate the new normal of operating and keeping our associates and customers safe during the Coronavirus crisis. We are proud of the fact that our incentives are uncapped, and have many people earning double their salaries because of their incentives! However, we will continue to monitor pay data for all associates and will make adjustments where needed to ensure associates continue to have the ability to earn a good, market related base in addition to uncapped incentives. We hope you and those close to you are staying safe during this time, and we look forward to seeing you soon when your store resumes operations!

5. "The Coworkers make up for the job"

Current Employee - Optician in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

An official sounding title and the opportunity to learn. My boss is probably my favorite manager I've ever had.

Cons

People are extraordinarily rude (more than I've ever experienced in customer service), and you have to repeat the same information literally hundreds of times per day which is extremely mentally tiring. Incentives are rather inconsistent and sales goals encourage pushing products that aren't necessary to the consumer despite the "give them what they need" philosophy they preach. Very, very, VERY understaffed. Two or three days a week, I either know I am not getting a break, or feel guilty for taking it. Saturdays are so overwhelmingly busy that I feel like I am going to have some sort of mental breakdown, and I am not the kind of person to ever feel that way. We will have a lobby full of roughly 20 people needing glasses, and only 3-4 of us to help them all. You go in knowing that you are going to be miserable for 8 hours straight without getting to eat. Lastly, you go in to work too early to get much done before hand, and then got off too late to get anything done before closing time anywhere else. You get one day off, then Sunday off, so you have one day to do absolutely everything you have to get done, which results in days of not being relaxing or refreshing. You'll get drained rather quickly.

April 9, 2020HR Business Partner

Sometimes feedback isn’t easy to hear, but we appreciate your honesty and transparency here. Your health and happiness are two of our highest priorities as an organization – and having the proper staffing to allow for breaks, lunches, and times to rejuvenate is important. We are continuously looking at our staffing levels to make the adjustments needed, and we will commit to looking at the staffing at our Kansas City stores in particular. Thank you for your hard work and commitment to Eyemart Express. We appreciate all you do day in and day out to help our customers improve their lives through sight!

6. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Optician

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

You could make decent money with the add on from the glasses sale.

Cons

Work load could be a lot sometimes.

April 9, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for your time and service with Eyemart Express and thank you also for this feedback. We wish all the best!

7. "It was great."

Former Employee - General Manager in Moline, IL

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Taking care of customers needs.

Cons

Need to help train better.

February 12, 2020HR Business Partner

First off – THANK YOU! Thank you for your 10+ years of service and helping us make Eyemart a great place to work and do business. As a manager, thank you for taking care of our customers’ needs, and we take your feedback seriously. We wish you all the best!

8. "EyeMart Sales Team"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice place to work. NO experience is required. They will teach you Optical and the pay is good

Cons

Closing at 7 during the week...why not 6. Saturday until 5???? why not 2 or 3

February 12, 2020HR Business Partner

We appreciate your feedback on our closing times. Our current times are already AWESOME compared to other retailers, but we do need to be able to service customers at the times that are convenient for them. We are constantly looking at our associates' schedules and are planning for busier or slower days appropriately .

9. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time

Pros

The company is good in general having a good time

Cons

Some locations is not as good as the company

February 12, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for this feedback! We love when our team members are “having a good time”, and we will do everything we can to ensure our associates enjoy coming to work. Keep the feedback comin’, and let us know where and how we can improve!

10. "Decent pay"

Former Employee - Optician

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time

Pros

Mangers are really cool, you learn a lot

Cons

Corporate basically gives stuff to customers over a little complaint. It’s always your fault.

February 12, 2020HR Business Partner

One of the best things we love about recruiting people to come work for Eyemart is that they WILL learn A LOT! Not only do team members get to improve their customer service and/or lab skills at Eyemart, but they also learn a trade that can help them grow a career and broaden their experience. We will continue to do what is necessary to make sure our customers are taken care of, but we will also make sure that our team members are provided the coaching and feedback necessary to continue to keep a positive attitude while continuing to help our customers! We don't ever want our associates to feel they are at fault when we handle a customer situation, and we are so sorry if that was your impression.

Found 158 reviews