F.A. Wilhelm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Philip G. Kenney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company to Work For"

Pros

Great company to work for. Good atmosphere with good respect and abilities to learn, grow, and develop.

Cons

Lacking seemless technology in some areas

2. "Terrible!"

Former Employee - Journeyman Carpenter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Journeyman Carpenter in Columbus, OH

I worked at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Union... I enjoyed working with local guys in Columbus OH that weren't management. This was literally the only bright spot of my time spent here.

Cons

Worst company I've worked for hands down in 27 yrs. Management was miserable. No sense of teamwork. They brought moral down from the time we started until we quit. Safety came 2nd to production even tho we had a good safety man , the super cut corners until project management company enforced standards. No regard for union rules, fired steward for speaking up. I could go on but I would NEVER work for this outfit again.

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect and you'll get far more production . Most workers will go above and beyond to help the company meet deadlines if they are shown unity. Too much finger pointing, backstabbing and personal issues to accomplish simple goals.

3. "Review"

I have been working at F.A. Wilhelm full-time

Pros

Great Pay, Fast Paced

Cons

Work Life Balance could be better

4. "Wilhelm is a great company with co-workers that make you feel like family."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at F.A. Wilhelm (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are very helpful in making sure you learn the how-tos within the company, and there is an overall sense of community within the company.

Cons

Technology in the field could be updated as well as access to the certain programs that would allow for better collaboration.

5. "Great company, slow growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fishers, IN

I worked at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and people, most are helpful in helping you assimilate

Cons

slow upward growth/advancement opportunities; sink or swim training

6. "Great Family Owned Orgaization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

company is still family owned 93 years strong. A lot of great people working with FAW, several companies under FAW umbrella, could have room to grow?

Cons

Management ignoring obvious things in front of them daily, moral is always down, those in the field would rather die than be in the office for any length of time due to tension in office.

Advice to Management

OPEN YOUR EYES!!! I know what they see and it is ignored, but they can weed out the bad and have an AWSOME staff that has the vision of company and it will soar!!!

"Since of Pride"

Former Employee - Carpenter Foreman in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Carpenter Foreman in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People in the field are proud to say they work for FA WILHELM Because they know they produce a great product and they have a great team in the office to support them in anyway they need! Safety is one of there main goals not just the bottom line! Things at Wilhelm are orchestrated to meet deadlines in a fast paced way and not everyone is cut out for that,if you like to get your hands dirty and give a honest days work you will love it! You'll never be bored! You will sleep great!

Cons

If you can't handle fast paced sometimes high stress environment,very passionate people who expect you to produce the best product in the field in or before a deadline then maybe this is not a good match for you.

Advice to Management

Take some of the people in the field and let them shadow more of the business side of things.The ones that are the most interested would probably come in on their time just to learn how to self improve.

8. "Project Manager"

I have been working at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

plenty of resources. You are not micro managed. The bottom line is not the only factor in success.

Cons

I don't think the pay is as high as it is in some other places. At times to communication amongst management is lacking as well as the communication between other departments.

Advice to Management

At times the communication amongst management is lacking as well as the communication between other departments.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I now appreciate the company I currently work for more than I probably would and FAW made me appreciate my former employer a lot more too.

Cons

I wouldn't work here they not only treat the employees like they are robots, but they also treat the subcontractors like crap. I would try to avoid doing business with them at all costs.

Advice to Management

Get better people asap. No one knows anyone at this company. Ive worked at similar sized companies and everyone knew everyone the moral was good. FAW uses and abuses there employess. you have to work there for 10 yrs to advance and that includes 3-5 years of pushing papers

"All about the bottom dollar!"

I have been working at F.A. Wilhelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with, respected commercial general contractor, complex and fun projects to work on

Cons

Treatment of employees by certain supervisors is not acceptable. Constantly overloading with work so that none of it gets done with quality. Do not compensate from within, you have to change employers to find proper compensation. All about milking employees for all they can get and improving the bottom line also as evidenced by old and antiquated office buildings and shop. No intra-company or family events really to provide a camaraderie among employees. Does not re-invest in its employees. Departments are disorganized and don't mesh well, standard operating procedures are often not followed even by some management. Benefits are underwhelming and training is non existent

Advice to Management

Some upper management are not well equipped to handle their position and do not know how to treat employees, need to fix either by training or show them the door. Award employees who do a good job when it's deserved don't just continually walk over them, they are what make your company exist. Provide better compensation and benefits