F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 26, 2018

2.2
Gregory J. Osberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance, nice co-workers, interesting work" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great people to work with and for" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "No communication from upper management" (in 17 reviews)

• "Low pay--no room for advancement" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Commitment to quality"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined a few months ago because of the vision of leadership to move to a digital first model. Company is re-platforming websites for the 21st century and investing in technology to better know and serve a diverse set of enthusiast communities. Solid business model with loads of upside. Opportunities to add real value. Upbeat, positive company attitude with all boats rowing in the same direction.

Cons

Number of different offices around the country but Gmail and slack work great to get in touch with whoever you need to.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Burn the boats. Win.

"Meh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people & beer cart Fridays. That's pretty much it

Cons

The pay and the mismanagement of the budget.

Advice to Management

Pay the people who work for you a better wage. Or be open to letting people work from home so they can cut the cost of travel. I know the previous upper management mis-spent the budget and put the company in the pits, but hiring more people isn't helping, especially when it's said that the company hasn't been making the budget and assets are being sold off to pay outstanding debts.

"Well, at least I learned a lot"

I worked at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My original team was amazing. Then they all quit. Work life balance was alright. If you're looking for a lesson in corporate BS, this is a great place to start.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, low morale. Promises of "better things to come" that lasted the whole time I was there. We never saw those "better things." Not supportive of employees at all, even though they're the only reason this company is still remaining even the slightest bit afloat. Honestly just a real bummer all around.

"A Dead Fish Rots From The Head Down"

I have been working at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A small group of brilliant, creative, underpaid, and traumatized peons - a group getting smaller by the week.

Sometimes there’s a beer cart, but that’s a relic of F+W's last hope, John Bolton, who left the company several months ago. Good for him.

Cons

Do you smell the tang of putrefaction? That’s the scent of a dead company rotting from the head down.

Tom Buesse and his collection of feckless cronies easily dealt the death blow to F+W, which has been bleeding out for the majority of 2018. This group of has-beens and cons squandered millions on “consultants” and “technology upgrades,” which I’m assuming is code for hookers and blow. Their greatest skill was the art of misdirection through constant changes and hot air to distract the board from their gray area finances. Their shenanigans made it impossible for our true leaders to evolve F+W, who instead spent their tenures frantically bailing out the hull of this sinking ship. They were rewarded for their efforts with burn out, deceit, and scapegoating.

F+W's Craft Group former upper management tried their best to save this lost cause, and nearly succeeded, only to have the last set of Execs replaced by a hospice C-Suite that’s been gradually turning off life support in vital personnel cuts and inept promotions. Forget about strategic vision - the hope for innovative content and technological evolution either walked out the door, was fired, or laid off. What’s left is a management team of myopic, dead weight dragging the company backwards into its inevitable grave.

The firings, layoffs, “promotions,” and voluntary mass exodus of staff over the last 11 months are the death rattles of a company comprised of once respected brands. If this zombie company staggers on past the new year we’d all be shocked. Even our “happy, hatchet-wielding” HR Exec bailed out on this ship she helped sabotage.

Advice to Management

Management?

Peons left - whether it’s Stockholm syndrome or denial, snap out of it and prioritize your resume and job search. Find a place where your professional goals, talent, and passion have a future.

Job seeker - steer clear of this Titanic-sized disaster.

Those who have left F+W - congratulations!

5. "Not Bad"

I worked at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great co-workers to work with

Cons

Benefits are not great at all

"Nice in a bad way"

I have been working at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time

Pros

working with great life long friends

Cons

snobby HR staff, horrible tech support

Advice to Management

put a fork in it, its done

"Loved the Work Itself but the company? Not so much"

I worked at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time

Pros

The subject matter was interesting and the people I worked with on a day-to-day basis were great. Getting rid of the previous CEO and his cronies was a step in the right direction. Too bad it came too late for so many.

Cons

The salary and benefits are not remotely competitive and the company is not what it could be. Terribly mismanaged when I was there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop layering on unrealistic expectations on top of treating employees like naughty children. No one works at the company primarily for the salary and benefits package, so implying they aren't committed was over the line and broke all trust in the executive team; especially the HR exec.
    That said, be realistic - This isn't charity work. Stop devaluing your employees.

"Struggling Company -- Stay Away (for now)"

Pros

Definitely the staff. Dedicated, hard -working individuals who are doing everything to keep the company afloat.

Cons

Uneducated decisions made mostly by the ignorant HR exec. Someone whose job is to be an advocate for the staff is the farthest thing from it. A useless IT department.

Advice to Management

Bring back staff who were product producers; outsource IT and save morale and money and outsource HR (at least the two in the Colorado office), hire a benefits person who knows what they are doing.

"Are you a strong swimmer?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rank and file staff are terrific (those that are left, that is). They know their markets and continue to create wonderful products despite massive budget cuts and layoffs.

Cons

Poor communication from senior management, no opportunity for advancement, woefully under-resourced, untrustworthy executives, horrible technology, fail to pay their vendors on time, they don't value their staff

Advice to Management

We’ve been told by Senior Management that we have until the end of the year to turn things around, but we know that the truth is that this company is sinking faster than you can say “innovation.” Truly, only a miracle can keep us in business. The real problem, though, is that executive management doesn’t seem to care that we’re going out of business. Instead, they appear intent on sucking every bit of cash out of the business on the way to the bottom.

In the last two years, we’ve shed almost 50% of our staff. A lot of those people were laid off or sold off with the profitable parts of the company, but just as many quit because they couldn’t take it anymore. We had more layoffs last month when good, talented people were let go. We’re used to it, though.

The real kicker is that it’s not our markets, our products, or our rank and file staff that is the problem. The Company’s impending doom is mostly a result of a sequence of horrifying executive management teams that have run this business into the ground. Some of us think it’s intentional. The current executive team is comprised of confused sheep that are pretending they know how to run a company. They lack vision and communicate only in vague generalities and meandering lies At least real sheep have wool.

So, we’re all pretty much looking for jobs at this point. There are not a lot of media jobs in Northern Colorado, though, so many of us are just focusing on doing the best we can while management steers F+W straight into the iceberg.

So, job seekers, my advice to you is this: stay as far away as possible… but get some high-powered binoculars, because this titanic disaster of a company might end up being a pretty good show as it implodes. Oh, and can you throw us some life preservers, please? Senior Management took all of ours.

"Don't Do It, Just Don't"

I worked at F+W, a Content + eCommerce Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FW is broken up into teams, basically. Dependent on what "community" you're working on. My small team was incredible! We were a very tight group, very close, and everyone is incredibly encouraging and positive.

Cons

But a step above our team, there are so many managers and people at a "higher level" that are just colossally sinking the ship. Too many people in charge and not enough people doing the work. Therefore, the people that work "on the ground" dedicate their nights and weekends (somewhat voluntarily, because they love what they do and also—if they don't, the work simply doesn't get done.) Raises? Promotions? You can forget it. Unless of course you are a manager, which chances are good are not in the same office as you. The team is so spread out. And job security is non-existent. I witness 2 sets of layoffs in my time at FW (which was short). I was a part of the third set of layoffs. I highly encourage you to work elsewhere, truly you would be saving yourself the headache. They have used the words "restructure" with a new CEO and new management is a regular thing. And they expect more output with less and less people.

Advice to Management

Just sell the company.