F5 Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

F5 Networks President and Chief Executive Officer Francois Locoh-Donou
Francois Locoh-Donou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Useless/brainless middle management and uncaring higher ups (who all seem to have absolutely no employee loyalty)" (in 22 reviews)

• "Not much direction, upper management can be more methodical" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"PS Consultant"

Former Employee - PS Consultant in Chertsey, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PS Consultant in Chertsey, England (UK)

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great engineering culture and focus on quality. Work in complex projects that allow for creativity and custom integrations. Environment encourages you to continously do self learning of new technologies and programming languages. Great team in EMEA, everyone wants you to succeed! Managers are top! Best company and professional experience so far.

Cons

Rather than cons, I would call it uncertainties. With cloud architectures the Big-IP product loses some relevancy. Nevertheless competitor products are nowhere good and flexible as Big-IP

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Speed up the release of cloud products.

2. "Principal Test Engineer"

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Flexible Timings
    Get to work on latest technologies
    Great Benefits

Cons

Pressed for time to complete tasks

"A slow moving trainwreck"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Relatively diverse for a tech company
    * Good work/life balance
    * Compensation and benefits are generally good
    * Core ADC market is steadily growing, despite the cloud

Cons

* Career prognosis depends on position in org chart. The higher up you are, the more secure you are. It's full on Game of Thrones here.
    * Teams operate independently as silos, without strong PM leadership
    * Poor technical planning. Specs are mostly absent or seriously deficient.
    * Poor learning culture
    * Actively outsourcing hundreds of jobs to India/Mexico

Advice to Management

Live your values.
    Be honest.

I was a fan of the current CEO until the layoffs a couple months ago. I wasn't personally affected, but know folks that were. The execution was shameful, and they targeted layoffs based on org chart position, as opposed to evaluating skills/performance/compensation. And just to be clear, most of those positions weren't "eliminated", they were outsourced out of the US.

Part of my beef with the layoffs is that the CEO was very clear about the India location *not* being a means for outsourcing US jobs. This turned out to be a lie.

"Software Test Engineer"

Pros

Very good benefits including health, dental and 401K

Cons

Latest changes made by upper management seem very questionable. Stability has been lost.

"Great place until our new CEO's regime"

Current Employee - S/W Development in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - S/W Development in Lowell, MA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great.

Cons

Used to be a great place to work until the new CEO took over. He is an absolute jerk. I understand that lay-offs happen and even offices closed, but the way Francois did it was extremely disrespectful, cowardly and hypocritical. We learned we were being all laid off via a company-wide email. An email, really? Then we were told, some of us being there over 10 years to just clear out within the next couple days, again very disrespectful. Word on the street is that he was going to close the Lowell office on 9/28 w/o giving us any notice but the state of Massachusetts set him straight with their laws. so any severance and notice is due to legal requirements, not from many consideration by F5. Despite all the talk of F5 values and "we are F5ers", the CEO and senior management are pretty deplorable human beings. Francois was too cowardly to inform any of us in person but instead sent his lackeys. Had he had any actual morals, he would not sleep at night.

Advice to Management

Stop being so hypocritical and practice the supposed F5 values you espouse. There is a way to do lay-offs w/o completely disrespecting people as your pawns.

"Principal Test Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Test Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Test Engineer in Lowell, MA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, very good at adopting new technology.

Cons

Most experience and talent is concentrated in the satellite sites. The talent in the Seattle/Bellevue area is diluted by other, local High-Tech companies. Additionally, there is a people-pleasing culture in Washington that is easily misread by no-nonsense New Englanders, making East Coast to West Coast relationships tricky.

Advice to Management

I think Zone to Win is a fine book to follow, but I don't think it's wise to lay off so many of your best and brightest at once, then hire a lot of inexperienced people to replace them. Quality will suffer, unfortunately. I suggest looking to your satellite sites for leadership from now on.

"Loosing Start Up Appeal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in if you're dialed in with the right team.

Cons

Loosing it's start up appeal. Perks are slowing being taken away. Company doesn't hide the fact that business is all about the shareholders. Suffers from a lot of panic attacks. Abrupt layoff's.

Advice to Management

Stay true to what made F5 a great working place.

"Have you seen the movie "Office Space"? Yeah...its like that..."

Current Employee - Generic Customer Support Title Here in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Generic Customer Support Title Here in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-You will meet so many incredible and bright people working here
    -Pay is decent & benefits are okay

Cons

-The new CEO (Francois) is doing to F5 what he did to his last company (Ciena)...cutting budget, laying off entire offices and outsourcing to non US locations, cutting benefits, destroying morale. This new CEO also changed our company values from being based on work ethic/being good people to our new values about money/speed
    -The HR department is a joke. Remote offices dont even have HR reps. I've been groped, harassed, hassled because of my gender and age
    -Remote employees are scoffed at, and you will only be able to move up if you work in/relocate to the HQ office in Seattle
    - Recent implementation of doomed projects (oracle based systems) where failure is catastrophic
    -Useless/brainless middle management and uncaring higher ups (who all seem to have absolutely no employee loyalty)
    -Slackers who suck up to higher ups advance in position, while the actual honest/hard working employees doing all the work are left in the dust

I have been with F5 for over 10 years. When I started here (under previous CEO, John McAdams), the company *WAS* incredible. It was my dream job...now 10 years later I cant believe this is the same company. F5 went from a caring honest company to a money obsessed monster ran by heartless robots whos only concern is their own insanely high paycheck. Its unfortunate that despite our company more than exceeding our monitary goals each QTR, emloyees have to sit by and watch layoff after layoff of great people and continue to see the slashing of budget and benefits left and right. If you have any integrity, I would not recommend working for this company...I can no longer sit by and watch this company run its employees into the ground and will be willingly leaving my decade career behind. The stress is too much to bear...

Advice to Management

-Gain some integrity, and while you're at it, get a heart as well
    -Stop catering to suck ups
    -Get rid of useless middle managers who sleep at their desk all day

9. "Manager in Product Development"

I worked at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Smart, driven, friendly co-workers. Good products.

Cons

Different engineering philosophies per product and quality technical leadership differs greatly between product lines. Remote offices seem isolated.

10. "very good company to work for"

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

people oriented culture, great technology,

Cons

better strategic alignment is needed