F5 Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Francois Locoh-Donou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The expectations for performance are very high (although they come with commensurate rewards) and work-life balance can be an issue in some roles (in 15 reviews)

• The company is expanding so rapidly that there are some growing pains (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Jewel of a tech company in Seattle"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many companies these days talk about employees as their greatest asset. But very few actually walk this talk, especially in the technology sector. The F5 Networks is unique because while it's wildly succesful it still treats the employees with respect, as human beings should be treated. To quote Simon Sinek, "Great companies take care of their employees, who take care of the customers, who take care of the shareholders -- so everyone wins".

Cons

Potential for the "Innovator's Dilemma" trap -- to remain successful in the cloud era F5 needs to innovate, disrupt itself, elevate their solutions offering and earn loyalty of the new customer personas. Fortunately the new executive leadership is doing exactly that!

Advice to Management

Keep reinventing the company with the sense of urgency, embrace the cloud, and promote mechanisms for rapid innovation on the customer's behalf!

2. "F5 Networks, great place to work, great products and great people!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

F5 Networks supports their employees. The work environment and team work are similar to a family atmosphere. F5 has grown quite a bit over the last few years. The mentality has grown from a small company mentality to a mid size mentality, although with little loss in the small company style of support for their employees. They have an open door policy. Unlike many other companies of this size, You are able to Walk into the CEO, President, Sr VP, VP or who ever and actually talk with them and are welcomed. They want to hear what their employees want to say.

Now onto the part many people like .... Beer Friday. Every Friday we have beer which is served in our large recreation room (which contains pool table, foos ball, air hockey, pin ball) for an hour or two. This is open to all of the employees. The employees are encouraged to go even if it is just for some social time with other co-workers. The big benefit to this is networking and getting to know other F5'ers. It is also a time to relax.

Another reason, is most of the work weeks are M-F with hours between 6a-8p. Less then 5% of our workforce works on the weekends.

For those who are handling phone support, have research time also. This means it is not a full 8 hours of phone support on a regular 8 hour shift. How awesome is that????

The view of the Sound is wonderfully relaxing. Being able to look out onto the water and see the boats and ships going by brings a calmness to the day one may not have otherwise.

For those into trains, we have 6 tracks right by us. There is usually a train going by several times through out the day.

There is also Myrtle Edwards Park just the other side of the tracks and right before the water. ;-)

The other nice thing is the closeness of food and events. F5 Networks is located on Lower Queen Anne. Which means you are able to walk to the Seattle Center in just a few minutes. A variety of food places are just a short walk.

We have multiple people who ride their bicycles to work on a regular basis.

Our customer satisfaction continuously improves. This means our customers like to work with us more and more. It also means we rarely are not able to fulfill customer expectations and customers are easier to work with than most places I have worked in the past.

Cons

The trains connecting outside make loud obnoxious noises which catch you off guard at times.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the way we are and F5 Networks will continue to be a great place to work and continue to produce outstanding products.

"F5 Networks, A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

-F5 leadership is fantastic. They make you feel like you are part of a very small startup organziation while the company is anything but.
    -Great corporate culture and management
    -F5 is the market leader in what we do; thus working in the sales organization is consistently rewarding because you can have confidence in what you are selling and that the product can do everything it promises.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth in the sales organization without relocating to another city/state in the US.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. As we grow closer to 1B in world wide sales, we need to make sure what got us there and not lose sight of it.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Architect in Seattle, WA

Pros

Laid Back Atmosphere, Awesome Benefits, Good Location, Good Salary, Great Culture

Cons

Not enough custom development internally. Not open to cutting edge Operating Systems and Software

Advice to Management

Increase IT spending

"Good place to work, could be much worse."

Current Employee - Test Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer III in Seattle, WA

Pros

They have great benefits and pay 100% of employees health coverage. There is a lot of vacation time which is very nice to have. You can move around the company and try other jobs after you have been here for a year. If you move internally, it is a great way to get your foot in the door if you don't have experience. Kind of an internal training program.

Cons

You work a lot. There is some disorganization which requires you to spend your time fixing it. There are mixed messages through upper management.

Advice to Management

First, you didn't have enough processes. Now, you have too many. Hire a professional to do program management. Someone with years of experience. Please.

6. "Great people, great pay, great company."

Current Employee - Architect in Seattle, WA

Pros

First is the people and their knowledge. There are a lot of great and intelligent people at F5. Next is the desire to help others grow into their goals. Most companies want your goals to mimic the company's need du-jour, F5 figures out how to maximize your strengths. Salary and benefits are some of the best out there.

Cons

Communication at the bottom level of management can be lacking, based upon the team that you're on, but at the top level it is stellar.
    Sometimes forward momentum seems to get slogged in growing bureaucracy, but that's a growing pains symptom.

Advice to Management

Don't be held back on a good idea because one area has thrown up roadblocks. Keep moving forward, we own the market, don't give that up. Other than that occasional issue, you're doing an astounding job, thanks!

7. "On the verge of being great."

Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Relaxed work environment, still small enough to move around, create your career. Good benefits, beer Fridays, company cares about it's workers still.

Cons

Product management needs better direction, parts of the product suite are ships without rudders.
    Need better cross team communication, don't let us get silo bound as we get bigger.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on your target markets, real world use case scenarios and drive product development towards them. Focus, focus, focus.

8. "Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great benefits, relaxed work environment, excellent location. The knowledge exchange and learning potential is outstanding. Then there is "Beer Friday", even if one doesn't drink beer it's the principle. Every week the company says "Thanks for the hard work, have a beer on us." As a whole this is an excellent company who does a good job focusing on retaining the talent that has made them a success.

Cons

The company is a bit top heavy with middle management which becomes meddlesome in the pursuit of justifying their own existence.

Advice to Management

As a whole you're doing an excellent job, keep focused on continuing to build a solid product. Keep your eye on the ball as you have and we'll continue to support you. Continue to support those of us who build the product/support the product and we'll continue to be a success and market leader.

9. "It'd be hard to beat.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The best reason to work at F5 Networks is definitely how much any employee, anywhere in the company, learns. It is nearly impossible to work at F5 Networks for a few years without becoming a superior technical person, as any job dictates an understanding of so many aspects of so many things.

Cons

Downsides are mostly localized into certain groups within the company, not in the company as a whole. Some groups don't pay as well as others and the complaint is compensation. Some groups work their employees really hard.

Advice to Management

I don't know the job well enough to approve or disapprove, it's much easier to be a critic than actually do it.

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Field Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great company, great product, great reputation, great people, quality is job #1

Cons

Seattle, WA headquarters (beautiful but the depressing pacfic northwest), too many products - need to focus on a few good things and really take it to the next level, that's it.

Advice to Management

None, very fair company. Before people criticize, think about F5 as compared to other companies you have worked for. Think about what you have in this economy. Thrifty is good!