F5 Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The expectations for performance are very high (although they come with commensurate rewards) and work-life balance can be an issue in some roles (in 15 reviews)

• Lots of growing pains across all functional groups (in 24 reviews)

"Great place to work but suffers from unstable management and priorities"

Former Employee - .NET Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - .NET Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are the best things about F5.

Cons

Management is constantly changing and priorities are constantly shifting.

Advice to Management

Stick around for a while before trying to make changes, and focus on enabling and investing in your own employees.

2. "Excellent growth"

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing coworkers, compelling work.

Cons

Parts are still in an infant/incubatory phase. Really not a con, but still a ways to go.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in new business prospects. I'm really impressed with Francois!

"Great company but misplaced CEO's priorities"

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Great place to work
    Work is challenging and interesting
    Taken care of if you work hard and not so much if you do not (which is fair)
    Work-life balance is pretty good

Cons

Our new CEO has misplaced priorities. He constantly injects HIS values onto us. He talks about diversity alot but ignores equality. All F5 sites ARE NOT created equal in his eyes and I feel like his definition of diversity is just the political definition and not about solving anything or bringing us unity. Meanwhile, he ignores larger issues at F5.

Your love of F5 depends on what location you work. If you work in Seattle, you are treated as top tier whereas other locations not as much. Our CEO does not even acknowledge our location. So much for diversity.

"resistant to change"

I worked at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Somewhat stable. The checks don't bounce thanks to Andy.

Cons

There's an old guard that is resisting change, even as they say they need it. Classic F5 passive-aggressive behavior. Don't go there if you expect to change and improve anything.

Advice to Management

make all managers re-apply for their jobs.

"Great Benefits, Uncertain Quality in Management, Lacks Moving Opportunities"

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at F5 for almost 4 years, great experience with the teams/ people I've worked with. Benefits are also excellent, and competitive pay. Work life balance is good too.

Cons

Not many, but i do believe your experience at a company relies heavily on the type of manager you work for. Even after numerous complaints about said manager, nothing drastic was done to alleviate the situation. Of course every team is different, just make sure to vet out the type of manager you want before joining a team. Also moving up was difficult unless in a higher role within a team.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees and their feedback regarding person or persons. It's not just to complain but a real issue that needs to be addressed.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great community/people
    Emploee orieented company
    Best culture i have ever seen

Cons

Bad executive team
    Lack of structure in product and it's testing

Advice to Management

Dudes, if you want to build best company you have to address more time to product testing, but even before doing that please, please take a look at what you already have. Why do we implement same logic again and again, why do we do same work not even twice ? Why same story happens with testers? Where is integrity in management, in product ?

"they dont recognize your job"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good manage and free food at the office

Cons

the dont recognize your job and eventually they will tell you good bye

"Software Engineer 3"

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Great people and work-life balance.

Cons

The work is really boring.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Nice company culture. People are incentivized to work as a team and deliver results

Cons

Not paced fast enough to compete in the cloud

"No Data, All Feelings"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Seattle, WA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great general team culture, lots of collaboration and team building. Never short on fun events and tangential "benefits" like the infamous Beer Friday. Lots of energy and passion about how to move forward, but...

Cons

No clear direction of how to get there. There are a lot of leaders who have been there 5-10 years that think they can rely on instinct feelings about strategy and employees to make decisions. False promises are made, false expectations are set for higher leadership and reporting employees, and those who stop to ask "Do we have data or logic to support this decision?" are hushed and asked not to meddle.

F5 has a lot of amazing people and the chance to thrive and make strides, but it's being squashed by office politics, failure to be objective as leaders, and insane attrition rates among new employees.

It also means new and growing employees have no strong sense of development. every move is at the will of managers who aren't held to any expectations. compensation varies wildly in the same role, and promotions are handed out base don who middle managers like and get along with, not who has experience, leadership skills, or people management. It's scaring young people off, and they're seeking security from companies like Microsoft and Cisco, or compensation worth the risk at places like Amazon and Tableau.

Advice to Management

Higher management needs to learn to be objective. Make decisions about what is best for employees and customers, not your favorite manager. Too many middle managers are concerned about keeping headcount, making splashy projects, and "proving" themselves rather than actually making a difference. If you can't articulate a strong ROI for a project or team, HR/Senior Leadership should be addressing it, and middle managers should be expected to produce what that value is.

Make career development about the employee, not the manager or team. Tie compensation/promotions to clear objectives/goals, not ever-changing criteria that reflects what a manager wants at the moment.

There's too much wiggle room allowed to "pass the buck," and it's sad to see a great company suffer because of so many managers that are only our for #1.