FAA Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

4.1
FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta
Michael P. Huerta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Federal Aviation Administration has an excellent pay and benefits package (in 24 reviews)

• Better job security due to the fact it's a government agency (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shift work can be fatiguing (in 24 reviews)

• No cons that I have experienced (in 7 reviews)

1. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our system is the most efficient and safest in the world. You have a direct impact on travel for the flying public.

Cons

I really do not have anything negative to say, except for the commute on I95. The commute is the worst part.

Advice to Management

Inclusion

2. "Time and life balance is super"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Work load is great. You are going to have a lot of free time so use it wisely.

Cons

Negotiate salary once you get hire otherwise it is hard to get a raise. Also moving up maybe hard as government employees tend stay longer

Advice to Management

None

3. "Great Amployer"

Former Employee - Developmental Air Traffic Controller in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Developmental Air Traffic Controller in Washington, DC

I worked at FAA (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Benefits, In-depth training materials, solid training instructors.

Cons

Highly-subjective training standards, low training pay

4. "Great compensation, typical federal job"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job security, low pressure to perform. Many technical positions in pay bands that extend slightly beyond the normal GS scale. (Air traffic controllers get MONEY, and only need a high school degree.)

Cons

Many positions are excepted service instead of competitive service, which means it is difficult to transfer to defense jobs unless you are a veteran. Executives and management don't like to rock the boat, so they don't get extra work or intense scrutiny.

Advice to Management

Make performance count (maybe Trump should mandate a specific percentage be demoted or fired each year).

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good flexibility to work for the same "company" for your entire career while being exposed to a lot of interesting new parts of the business.

Cons

Advice to Management

Not much opportunity, if any, for continued education once you are hired. Many people with whom I work retire with the exact same level of education that they had when they were hired in at 19 or 20. Would be beneficial to enable employees to be exposed more to innovation in private industry to foster the same spirit within.

6. "FAA - ATO"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for the FAA with the Air Traffic Organization gives you the opportunity to excel in every facet of the aviation community. This company and organization has a proven track record of innovation and opportunities to improve the world in which we live in.

Cons

Due to the size of this organization its easy to loose sight of the core business mission.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to the core workforce to better understand their concerns

7. "FAA Staff Specialist"

Current Employee - Air Traffic Staff Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Staff Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for advancing positions

Cons

Sometimes the assignments can be difficult but challenging

Advice to Management

n/a

8. "Program Manager (Contract)"

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at FAA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people seem to genuinely care about the work they are doing, and have the subject matter expertise. The offices are nice and they have shuttles between them. Close to metro stops and bus stops.

Cons

Contractors are treated as third class citizens; are not used to their full capacity or allowed the authority to do their jobs effectively. In some groups, contractors may only be seen and not heard (you literally can not email or call FAA employees you need to interact with but must go through an FAA employee who often does not have the time.) Many managers are incompetent at managing, don't know how to delegate and are overwhelmed. Senior management allows this to happen. There does not appear to be oversight, training or remedy for poor managers. The culture is horrible for contractors and does not appear to be great for many employees depending not the group. Very political. Contract had a specific hour limit yet manager kept clandestinely trying to force more hours without having to pay for it and would make for a hostile work environment if I did not do it, I informed the Contracting company who basically washed their hands of it, telling me to handle it myself and that they knew the client was "difficult".

Advice to Management

Don't promote good technical people into managerial roles without providing them the training and oversight. Promote an inclusive culture when it comes to employees and contractors. Address problems.

"Technical Writer"

Former Employee - Content Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Content Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at FAA (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice as employees.

Cons

Bad people managers, pay and entitlemwnt for uneducated people too high too many restrictive rules IT in the stone age cheap pay for contractors.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be people managers, focus less on promotion

"People make the difference"

Former Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the individuals working at the FAA strive to do the best job they can in whatever capacity they are assigned.

Cons

There are a few individuals who have been hiding under the government umbrella of hard to fire that can make the jobs intolerable if you are stuck working with them.

Advice to Management

Stop being so hesitant to rate someone as unacceptable and help them find a job they can enjoy and be good at.