FBL Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Brannen

"IT"

I worked at FBL Financial full-time

Pros

Obviously the benefits and people are great as other reviews have commented on. Place is clean, wellness is good, and people are friendly. Technology is about middle of the road, FBL wants to be not a leader, not a follower but right in the middle and they do a good job of this. Most managers including management team are approachable and willing to listen, middle level management has been shakey but getting better. Lower level management is about a 50/50 shot, this needs work. M-team is strong and lead the company well, they seem to care about the staff.

Cons

Some of the negative comments are unfounded and simply aren't true and basically represent sour grapes. The ex-CIO from Nationwide almost destroyed IT, while some change is needed, as in all companies a total over haul was unwarranted as was evident in the end. The new CIO while young brings a better understanding of what FBL is all about and while some hard decisions had to be made, as is with any new management change, they were needed. The negative here is that continued management changes has stressed the staff to the point of breaking, this needs stabilized, that's on m-team, the staff in IT is excellent and ready to work. Agile need solidified as well "where it makes sense", one size shoe doesn't fit all

Advice to Management

Change needs to be managed in a way its consumable by the employees, be careful with lower level managers as there seems to be a lack of skill and finally make sure the environment promotes skill development and opportunity for growth, managers should be more than open to allowing staff to move within the company.

2. "Benefits"

I have been working at FBL Financial full-time

Pros

Very good benefits, paid volunteer time

Cons

Lack of transparency, no bonus for employees

3. "IT developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at FBL Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment and good people

Cons

Pay is on the low end and little or no raises, easy to find another employer that will pay you what you are worth.

Jan 17, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us – especially with the people and work environment that make our company so unique. While we cannot speak specifically to your situation ... More

"what a mess"

I worked at FBL Financial full-time

Pros

great facilities. people are nice

Cons

I've been in IT for over 20 years. Half of those years as an architect. I have never known an organization that seems so opposed to having an enterprise architect view on things. They want to set up things in silos. Each of the companies doing their own thing without thought to how things should be at an enterprise view. This limits how systems scale and interact. The CIO from nationwide tried to implement this. Knowledge sharing, scalability, etc. I guess it was too much change cause they let him go. The new CIO is so wet behind the ears that I have t shirts that are older than him. From my view, he's getting rid of a lot of people that would challenge (or maybe did challenge him in the past). I'm not privy to a lot of that but I do know people. Someone who does that is acting out of fear.
    My advice to those looking to work here. Don't. Unless you want someplace that you can settle down, do very little work and not be noticed, this is your place. Otherwise, if you want challenge, ability to speak your mind, and management support. And like another reviewer said, go work somewhere else

Advice to Management

lead, don't manage. dont be afraid to challenge what is happening.

"Terrible work environment"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at FBL Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very little. poor management. I don't think Jim Brannen knows how bad the culture is there....which is very sad

Cons

So I've been there for about 4 years now. I'm a developer. I've worked in a variety of places in my career and FBL really takes the cake.
    This is an organization that is so behind the times. A fairly simple ZOS mainframe upgrade took down our admin system. I work in the Life area and it took us well over a year to stand up a new life admin system with absolutely minimum functionality. There are so many manual processes that I’m not sure if it was even cost effective to do this. Someone is getting snowed. Managers and senior leadership have no real clue on how projects need to be put together. Decisions get made and then changed 3 months later. The CIO is a rotating door.
    My advice, if you’re a developer that really wants to work on exciting things and have your input really be heard, this is not the place to go. Find somewhere else!

Advice to Management

create a path for people to get promoted or move within the organization. People start on a team and they never move from that team. So if you're on the P&C team, that's where you'll stay forever. Allow people to grow and learn other systems.

Nov 30, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take great pride in the work environment and internal talent development. We encourage employees to have open conversations with their leaders ... More

"business system analyst"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at FBL Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none. There is no ba practice here.

Cons

I’ve been a BA for well over 15 years. I’m fairly new to the FBL company, less than 2 years but wow. Talk about not keeping up with the times. There really is no BA practice here. It’s a bunch of people that worked in the business (P&C) and understand the system but don’t know the first thing about requirements gathering or testing. In fact, one of the testers gloats about how are able to find defects in the code and that it’s a reflection on how bad the developers are. Really? I have never worked in a place that has had that attitude. We should be a team and figure out how we help each other to deliver a better product. I was hoping things would change here but they don’t. A lot of the people here seem to be waiting to retire. Terrible work environment. Do not work here!

Advice to Management

leadership needs to figure out how to lead and not be manager. There's a difference. Learn it.

Nov 30, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take these concerns seriously, and we want to improve the situation. Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, but if you'd like to talk more about it ... More

8. "Actuarial Assistant"

I have been working at FBL Financial full-time

Pros

- Smaller company so allowed me to take on more responsibility

Cons

- Not much room for advancement
    - Base salary good but no bonuses and retirement plan worse than some of their competitors

9. "IT"

Pros

People are loyal and supportive

Cons

Work is not evenly distributed.

Advice to Management

Need to hold people more accountable.

"IT"

Former Employee - IT Professional in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Professional in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at FBL Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people - genuinely nice people and with 10 years at the company you really come to appreciate the majority of the business as family.

Cons

Poor leadership choices moving forward with the IT department. Now ex-CIO brought in all of his cronies from Nationwide. Became a culture of either you're from Nationwide, or you're nothing. Ruined the family culture of the organization and many people packed up and left. CIOs mantra was "IT is just math" and people were treated like numbers, unless you were hired under that regime. CIO is now gone, but many of his hires still hold the leadership in IT. For that reason, unless you have Nationwide on your resume and you're looking for a job in IT; look elsewhere. If you have doubts, ask anyone that works in IT at FBL.
    Hoping the new CIO (who was hired internally and not of the Nationwide lineage) can turn things around.

Advice to Management

You've started to make good strides, but continue to lose good people due to the inner power struggle between cultures. IT needs to focus on business delivery and the new CIO is poised to deliver. What makes it even more difficult to deliver is that FBL has continually adopted a flavor of the month with Lean/Agile, 10X, Plan/Build/Run and continue to spend more time training on the new flavor than actually delivering value.

11. "Excellent company"

I have been working at FBL Financial full-time

Pros

We protect livelihoods and futures. We strive to do that every day.

Cons

At times a challenging work environment.