FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2017

Detroit, MI Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Senior Management does not have the courage to oppose unrealistic product development timelines"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very cooperative and friendly. Salaries are Ok but not great. Benefits are OK. If you are lucky you can get good managers

Cons

Long and stressful days. The consensus is that most people are way overloaded. If you are not lucky, you can get the worst kind of manager.

Advice to Management

Senior managers have to get the courage to tell their own managers when the timelines are realistic or not. When the resources are enough or not. At this level I was expecting that senior manager were treated more as reliable and very valuable advisers/consultants to help promote the quality of the products developed.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work and a lot of flexability

Cons

Company needs to update their internal systems

3. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Design Release Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Design Release Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, flexible work/life balance, convenient amenities in building, plenty opportunity to network and move around.

Cons

Other OEMs may pay better and have stronger product portfolios. The culture of automotive can also be a bit aggressive, leading people to get hostile and defensive attitudes.

4. "SVR Summer 2017 Warren MI"

Former Intern - Svr in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Svr in Detroit, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company, enjoyed working there with team. My boss was very nice; in fact the whole team was nice. Really felt like a team. Very nice working environment. My work was appreciated.

Cons

They promised to hire me, but have not done it yet. Also, I felt that they did not really differentiate between people who made a lot of effort and those who did not.

Advice to Management

Even for temporary positions, there should be appraisals and incentives for people who work hard and make an effort.

5. "Can’t wait to find another job"

Current Employee - PTV Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - PTV Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to learn lot including favoritism. Prepare you for any job in future.

Cons

Plm review process. If u r not favorite, u r screwed, no matter what u do for FCA.

Advice to Management

Change plm technique. Do honest review. Look at real contributions and not what someone did 2 year back.

6. "Production and assembly work"

Former Employee - Production Assembly and Paint Shop Putting On Sealer On the Vehicles in Detroit, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Proud of doing good quality work and I retired

Cons

Drive to Chrysler is in Detroit hour and 45 minutes on a road each day there and back

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate with the workers

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Protttype Build Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Protttype Build Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Im happy here and like my job

Cons

stressful work with a large work load

Advice to Management

listen to those that have been there longest

"Horrible experience - Powertrain engineering"

Current Employee - Powertrain Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Powertrain Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

You get thrown in front of the bus with no warning as soon as you join, it’s a great way to learn really good life lessons and a way to learn things fast. You will get hit by the bus several times along your journey , however you learn to become a better person and learn a lot. You get great exposure to different groups within the company.

Cons

Lots of politics. Everyone tries to meet unrealistic timelines knowing they will never meet. Management people would rather hear a pleasant lie over harsh truth. It’s all about CYOA. You get hired as contract and lots of politics go into getting hired direct. If you are related to the senior manager, you get hired direct before someone who’s been there a year before you. They will drain the life out of you and throw you down the hole. Good work is never appreciated , they will always remember a mistake you’ve made.

You want to get ahead at FCA? It’s simple. Don’t do any work, go to meetings , talk crap if it makes sense or not, just be louder than the other person. You can spit out garbage and management will appreciate you over someone who actually does good work but keeps quite.

Advice to Management

Appreciate people who do actual work and not the ones who go to meetings and speak loudly

9. "Busy"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

Lots of work
    Opportunities to move around company
    Pay
    Benefits
    Lots of work

Cons

Older facility
    Older databases

Advice to Management

Do more progress reviews, not sure if I need improvement

"Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Buyer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time

Pros

Visibility, opportunity to learn. Significant size but smaller relative to industry means employees' accomplishments are often better recognized than competitors. Opportunities to network if taken advantage of.

Cons

Too many checks and balances. Organization is insufferably terrified of letting anyone make decisions. The phrase "We need approval for this." at FCA means it will never happen.

Human Resources is a cold and unchecked roadblock to development; they dictate who is allowed to be promoted using qualitative metrics without engaging the employees themselves or truly heeding the feedback of the managers trying to advance their team's careers.

Advice to Management

Let the qualified make the tough calls and tell everyone else to get out of the room. Quantify the value of the time wasted while the cowardly debate what to do and see how much opportunity there is to save money.

Stop letting HR police the organization and treat your employees like children. If we are the meritocracy you claim we are, then eliminate the constricting bureaucracy that HR has built itself.

Showing 677 of 1,814 reviews