FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Reviews | Glassdoor

Sergio Marchionne

1. "Brand Finance"

Former Employee - Finance in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Finance in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met awesome people there that I have stayed in contact with.

Cons

Culture is horrible. Over worked and under appreciated. It seems people were brainwashed to not have a life and pretty much be slaves to the executives. I heard terrible stories of how the CEO treats his management team. Unfortunately it has a top down effect on the organization. HR seemed extremely ineffective as well. Company overall seemed like a mess, with almost everyone(incl. people outside of immediate group) complaining about their job.

My overall analysis is fear and thumbing down employees is how things get done at this company.

Advice to Management

Lost cause

"Metallurgy Lab Supervisor"

Former Employee - Metallurgy Lab Supervisor in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Metallurgy Lab Supervisor in Warren, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time

Pros

Metal lab employees did their jobs well. Being union they wouldn't do a single thing more than their job description but what they did they did well. My direct boss was friendly and nice but overworked and stressed. Definitely room to move up/through the company if you're so inclined.

Cons

90 hour work weeks every single week. They paid straight-pay over 40 hours (no time and a half or overtime) for salaried/engineers. Heavily implied that I need to work holidays, lunches and weekends or I would be fired, so I did. Salary was not competitive. I accepted their low offer because I thought it would let me in the door and they promised regular raises. I left with an offer for 25% higher pay from a small, local company where I now work normal 45 hour weeks.

Extremely stressful job and terrible cross-department fighting. Management would often literally yell and scream at subordinates and other department heads because of a difference in opinion in how something simple should be done. I saw someone in a meeting get fired on the spot for asking a simple question (one that I wondered too). Turnover in the quality department was extremely high so I know it wasn't just me who was experiencing these issues.

There is absolutely 0 respect for other employees or their time. Key people would regularly accept a meeting invite but show up 20 minutes late to a 30 minute meeting. HR scheduled an exit interview with me on my last day. I waited in the designated conference room for 20 minutes past the start time and then got up and left.

Honestly, I wouldn't work there if they tripled my salary.

Advice to Management

The issues I see are company wide and in all honesty I don't have a simple answer of how to fix. I was warned by multiple people in my orientation/hiring process that this job environment was going to be terrible and I should have listened and ran.

A couple specific recommendations: You need to enforce a better work life balance. 90 hour work weeks, every week, will burn out most people and damage your workforce. The best and brightest will run and you'll be left with a burned out, sub-par workforce.

Secondly the amount of condescending remarks from middle management is incredible. Kiss up and kick down describes it perfectly. I'm extremely easy to get along with but the two-faced behavior and genuine lies I saw were unbelievable.

If I thought that there was a way to change or improve this I would have stuck it out and worked to help the company but it appears to be openly encouraged from the top tiers of management. Good luck and good riddance.

3. "AWS ruins your health and family life"

Current Employee - Electrician in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Electrician in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Better than no job at all

Cons

Long hours and there AWS shcedual will get you sick and tired and keep you that way ruins family life you never see your kids or anybody else super bad management Chrysler dosn't care about their people one bit that's why they build junk no retirement sick unhealthy people don't care about quality.

Advice to Management

Go back to 8 hrs get rid of half unneeded management

5. "Terrible Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

Pay is decent and times off is good.

Cons

Management sucks at this company. They treat employees worst than an animal gets treated. Instead of holding management accountable they put their short comings on the employees to force you out for pointing out their lack of knowledge or responsibility.

Advice to Management

Revamp management and get some diversity. Hold them accountable and to the same standards that you hold the rest of the employees too. Hirer managers that really know what they are doing versus someone in your friend circle or related to some VP this is why so many employees are quitting because you don't know how to treat people right and there is integrity within this company but they want you to have integrity.

6. "Information Systems"

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and enjoy the work

Cons

Ridiculous expectations on how many hours you work and the amount of work given with the timeframe to get it done with a skeleton crew. Also, there is absolutely no planning ahead for major projects put in place and no communication between departments in the plant which causes a lot of finger pointing when things do not get accomplished.

Advice to Management

Need to have a better work/life balance for employees. I notice that there is a very high turn around of employees at Chrysler because of the hours that are expected. There also needs to be policies and procedures that departments must follow when executing requests for major changes in the plant. (Planning before executing a change). This will save time and money.

"Mid level professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co workers. Interesting work.

Cons

Management is the worst that I've ever encountered. Lacked professional integrity. Used position to belittle and intimidate subordinates. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Stand for what is right instead of defending what is wrong.

"Mid-Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Worked with some really great people, and typical of a large company, you'll learn a ton of processes, and see a lot of interesting things.

Cons

The most incompetent exec senior levels that exists in big industry. I read an article recently where 13 auto products were on Consumer Reports do not buy list. 6 of those were FCA products. Amazing! So, the incompetence of senior management trickles all the way down to the consumer. They don't trust their staff. They don't give raises, for at least 10 years now, so make sure your starting rate is what you want till retirement. No pensions. And now they're on a 5th or 6th year journey to replace their aging workforce so they're firing people in their 50's for no reason so the young folks see opportunity to move. Every other company uses buyouts to achieve this, but FCA just walks these guys to the door. Their pension funds for the golden age few are only 55% funded. It's incredibly mismanaged. The smarter younger engineers just quit and leave, and they can't seem to figure out why.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Value their opinions and ideas. Pay people equitably.

9. "Good pay if in for the long haul"

Pros

Health insurance, vehicle discounts, lots of other discounts

Cons

Not a seniority employee as part time, jobs are brutal, management cheat the system and play the favorite game

Advice to Management

Quit messing with our hours

"The emperors new robes"

Current Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time

Pros

The coworkers are great and the cars look good. Some even perform well when they aren't breaking down.

Cons

Management doesn't want to hear no and everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. I hear of a new person leaving the company at least twice a week, yet management and hr are still playing the fiddle while Rome burns. Plus everything is fiat this, Italy that when they are the crappiest cars we make by far.

Advice to Management

Pull an Iaccoca and sack the useless ones in management. Grow a pair and don't be afraid to say no. Hold your department accountable instead of blaming someone else. I'm sure the exit interviews say the same thing, SO LISTEN TO THEM!

11. "Plant Life"

Former Employee - Assembler in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Assembler in Warren, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had a lot of fun meeting so many talented people. Truly a collaborative process. Had the best equipment one could have at the time.

Cons

Was very restrictive in the creative process. Too much time spent in the facility. Hardly any time for family life. Backbreaking work.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to take sensitivity training and trust more. You cannot micromanage the line. Set a direction then step back and let the experts follow through. Listen more to actual workers.

Showing 101 of 1,449 reviews