FCi Federal Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sharon Virts Mozer

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management shows clear preferential treatment in their promotion practices (in 13 reviews)

• No raises in the last 7 years , I think the lost the contract (in 12 reviews)

1. "FCI Program"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FCi Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management available for communication

Cons

training program needs development, pay is WAY below official government employees.

Advice to Management

Higher wages, more training templates and structure.

2. "FCI spot"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at FCi Federal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package and nice people to work with

Cons

No room for advancement within some divisions

3. "Low pay, but company leadership solid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at FCi Federal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room to advance, friendly coworkers, lots of training and special incentives from HQ. HQ frequently visits on-site. Important job.

Cons

Many fellow employees complain about the low salaries, but do nothing to advance themselves because they pay raises for same position without any motivation to move up.

Advice to Management

The special on and off-site trainings - keep them coming, everyone loves them! Please consider a way senior employees can train newer employees and provide open access to HQ without penalty for speaking out or up.

"THIS COMPANY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at FCi Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no overtime, 401k, offers health benefits

Cons

Impatient with and unaccommodating of people's disabilities, ridiculously anal hours and policies, does not appear to genuinely care for employees

Advice to Management

Less rigidness, more humanity. Treat employees better. Be more flexible,

"Poor Corporate HQ Interaction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at FCi Federal full-time

Pros

Current San Diego staff is fun, motivated and kind. They want to do the best work they can and really care about the people they are impacting. Management does what it can to improve morale around the office but honestly due to the government employees and lack of concern from HQ's, not much can be done! For these reasons alone, I would say this is a decent temporary job. Also, get off of work consistently everyday and are able to beat the traffic!

Cons

Poor work conditions that are ignored by HQ's, employees don't like to take initiative because they may be punished, no room for salary increases (due to contract), HR is consistently breaking laws "on accident"...

Advice to Management

Local management, keep doing what you're doing. Higher up management, don't even visit if you're going to ignore the needs of employees.

7. "Awesome place to work, great people, great culture!!"

Current Employee - Headquarters in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at FCi Federal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the size of the company makes it much easier to get things done and have impact. Flexibility and benefits are good. More like a family than other companies. FCi does celebrate their people.

Cons

Growing so fast need to ensure infrastructure and systems are also caught up with the significant growth. Geographically dispersed can cause distress for those not at headquarters.

Advice to Management

Always communicate the way you do no matter how much the company grows. Hire hire hire we all need more help because we are growing so fast.

8. "I have worked for FCI for a year but have worked at this location under different companies (contracts) for 12 years."

Current Employee - GC1 in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - GC1 in Lees Summit, MO

I have been working at FCi Federal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think FCI is a great company to work for. I work Monday thru Friday and if we are busy sometimes on Saturday I have to work and I'm paid time in a half pay which helps out for spending money. I get every government holiday off with pay and my hours are the same every week. The benefits are great and I love the people I work with.

Cons

It is a big company so you don't get all the perks you get from some small companies.

9. "I love my job at FCi !!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at FCi Federal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Care benefits
    401k benefits
    Ability to cross train
    Ability to work overtime
    Livable wage
    Room for advancement
    Open door policy with supervisors and management

I actually really love my job with FCi here at the National Benefits Center. When I started working at the NBC, there was a different contracting company running things. I had no problems working for that contractor, in fact, I was sad when they lost the bid to FCi, because I didn't know what to expect. I was very apprehensive of a new contracter. And at first, things felt a little rocky (that's to be expected when a new contracter comes in). But over time, I really felt they started to listen to the employees (again, I don't blame them for the beginning transitional period.. they had to get their bearings and ducks in a row). They formed a team of employees to plan some nice events and dinners provided by the company (for us night shifters we got Olive Garden catered in!!), they started providing punch and treats for the seasonal changes and fun holidays (which I always love a free treat). They really listened and looked at the attendance policy and have since worked to update it.
    But more importantly, they really are good about sitting down and listening to your concerns (my supervisor was great at this). They are good about cross training if you ask for it (again, my supervisor not only listened but came through on this for me). The company is very encouraging about moving their employees from within up the ladder.
    I have also found that most everyone is pretty pleasurable to work with. I've met quite a few people that I consider friends. Not to mention, as a new clerk, I found all of the people on my team to be very welcoming and extremely helpful in anything that I needed.
    The management that people say in the negative reviews are not approachable, I have found that to be the exact opposite. Now I will say, before I ever met with upper management, I heard the rumors and had some fear and apprehension about approaching them. However, I believe it is all in the approach. When I met with them, I found them to be very warm, helpful, insightful and encouraging -- a far cry from all of the rumors I had previously believed to be true.
    All in all, I think this is a great place to work. I applied for higher paid positions, got a few interviews, and eventually got promoted. I wasn't discouraged or upset when someone got promoted over me. What is for me is for me and that type of negativity will ooze out of you.
    I not only plan to continue working towards moving up the ladder, I am hoping to eventually work my way up and over to the government side. :)

Cons

I will say that the lack of raises, can be a bit discouraging. But in the companies defense, this is a Department of Labor issue, not an FCi issue. I keep seeing reviewers mentioning employees who have worked here 15 years and haven't received a raise. FCi Federal has only been at the NBC for one year. Again, DOL issue, not an FCi specific issue. Not to mention, they are very transparent about this from the beginning. During my training with the contractor before FCi, my trainer told us that the only way to make more money would be to move up through a promotion. This was a bit disappointing, however in knowing this, I told my supervisor upfront that my goal was to learn as much as possible, move and and eventually move over to the government side. And he was incredibley supportive and encouraging of this.
    I notice that a lot of reviewers complain about the supervisors and management. I will admit that there are a few supervisors on site that aren't the best communicators or can be a bit rough. However, I've never worked a job in my life where this was not the case. And I know first hand that management is listening to the complaints of the employees and is working hard on getting everyone leadership training as the learning process never stops.
    I will also say that there tends to be a lot of the same people who love to complain and I get the impression that some folks just wouldn't be happy no matter what they were paid or given.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees out on the floor. They are the best insight on how to keep business running smoothly!

"The bad reviews are from the typical "want everything handed to them" folks"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Winchester, VA

I have been working at FCi Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, friendly, and helpful atmosphere
    Yes, there is room for advancement. Just do a good job and put some time in.
    Good pay in my opinion, especially for the area.
    Extremely lengthy training process to make sure you are understanding the work.
    Asking questions is wanted, never frowned upon.

Cons

You are on a metric (quota) system.

"Awful place"

Former Employee - Clerk in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Clerk in Overland Park, KS

I worked at FCi Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing good about FCI Federal was the co-workers.

Cons

Awful management and treatment of employees, High turn over rate among employees. Forced overtime. This was my absolute worst job experience in my entire working career.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent supervisors.