FDA Reviews in Silver Spring, MD | Glassdoor

FDA Silver Spring Reviews

Updated September 13, 2016

Silver Spring, MD

Rating Trends Rating Trends
FDA Commissioner of Food and Drugs Margaret Hamburg, M.D.
Margaret Hamburg, M.D.

Pros
  • interesting issues, public health mission, good work life/balance (in 33 reviews)

• It's fulfilling to go to work every day knowing you are helping support their public health mission (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes I felt as if I did not have enough work to do as an intern, as most full-time employees like keeping their work only to themselves (in 9 reviews)

• As with any government agency, there can be a lot of red tape (in 9 reviews)

"Passionate about Public Health"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a real connection with the public health mission, a surprisingly relaxed atmosphere considering the amount of doctors, scientists, and legal professionals employed by the agency, and my colleagues have a genuine passion for the work they do.

Cons

Can get political at times, leadership isn't as innovative as the staff, it is a government agency so approvals and decisions tend to be slow, and the promotion/incentive policy is bureaucratic you have to wait one year before you can move to the next pay grade if your job has a promotion scale.

Advice to Management

Leverage public private partnerships to keep up with industry standards, learn how to better engage millennials, and do a better job of grooming diverse employees for leadership roles.

"Brief"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, Health Benefits, Culture, Opportunities

Cons

Nepotism, Poor Atmosphere, Office Culture

Advice to Management

Not sure

3. "Research Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at FDA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, provided free buses
    Large campus with many food options
    Worked with Scientists and Interns to get experience in a broad range of techniques

Cons

Like many offices in the DC area, it was hard to navigate office politics. Departments were merging and changing so it made it difficult to know what direction research was heading in.

Advice to Management

While the intern program is very accommodating there didn't seem to be much awareness of it outside of hear-say and university of maryland. I think pulling from further away would make it a better program.

"Government Work with a Public Health Mission"

Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people,beautiful modern campus, government work with a real purpose in the goal of ensure the public health. If you are an ambitious driven individual with a scientific or legal background you will likely thrive in this largely collaborative environment. Government benefits, telework agreements in place for experienced staffers with reputable PMAPs. Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

It's the government things do not happen quickly. Inspections are managed by a group that does not typically communicate with the customers at headquarters. Training is managed on a first come first serve basis with no ready curriculum assigned to new hires to ensure an equal footing and therefore baseline performance proficiency. Needs modernize its paperwork-heavy quirky systems interfaces especially as it regards government travel; end users should be authorized to schedule their own basic travel arrangements. Approvals for these, supplies and training requests should be processed speedily and communication of any problems done immediately so there are no delays.

Advice to Management

Trust your people and invest in them to ensure that they are best prepared to deliver confidently and capably.

6. "Good Entry Level Job"

Former Employee - Orise Fellow in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Orise Fellow in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Important work, learned a lot about designing and conducting good research

Cons

Too much going on in my department to do good research--overwhelmed with review responsibilities

Often moves very slow, even for a research department

Very bureaucratic

7. "data analyst ORISE fellow"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

good working environment and good co-workers

Cons

slow working pace, especially during snowing weather and holiday seasons

"Chemist"

Current Employee - Document Reviewer in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Document Reviewer in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lifetime job guarantee. They cannot retire you due to age. That would be age discrimination. It is almost impossible to fire a federal employee. If you are a deadbeat and do not mind collecting a paycheck for life, without doing anything, the FDA is the place for you! On the other hand, if you have any ambition whatsoever and want to make your parents proud of you, do not bother.

Cons

Nobody here cares about anything. Management does not care. D.C. stands for "Don't Care." The colleagues are deadbeats. The environment if hostile. Not just antisocial: hostile. People do not come to work. They stay home. Abandon hope all ye who enter.

Advice to Management

Management: please resign. All of you. Right now. You are no good. Oh wait! The Republicans are going to eliminate your jobs anyway. Never mind.

9. "Slow and steady"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at FDA as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I was an intern, but I talked a lot with full-time employees about their experiences here. Generally, everyone liked the job and worked very hard. They often stated that they did not need to work hard - it's very hard to get fired - but they chose to work hard and take on many projects anyways.

Cons

I felt like the research I was doing was a lost cause. We wanted to gather enough information about orthopedic implants, but our manpower and equipment could not even begin to match what those inside the industry used. We seemed to be doomed to always be one step behind the manufacturers. By the time we actually got our hand on their stuff to try to determine the failure modes, a new and very different product was out.

Advice to Management

Focus on the achievable and allow the industries to take a load off your hands. I understand the need for regulation, but in many cases the regulators just can't keep up. The FDA needs to focus their efforts on the few areas where they can have the largest effect.

"senior officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at FDA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

FDA offers a great opportunity to work with very intelligent, dedicated people on interesting, high profile issues. The best aspects of the job are: Public health mission, interesting issues, and significant responsibility.

Cons

There are also significant downsides. At higher levels in the agency, you will have a high level of responsibility, but very little autonomy. Virtually every decision is politicized, and will be debated (sometimes bitterly) internally, second guessed up the political chain, then criticized by overseers and the public. The environment wears on you, and people tend to burn out.

Advice to Management

The organization needs to retain its grounding in science and law but remain open to change. Leadership needs to embrace a progressive agenda and to resist the reactionary old guard. Parts of the agency should be put into receivership and completely reformed.

11. "Lots of hard working people that care about what they do."

Current Employee - Scientific Reviewer in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Scientific Reviewer in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with a lot of intelligent, hard working people that care about doing what is best for public health and the medical device industry. There is a lot of opportunity to obtain a lot of different experiences fairly easily. Salaries are fairly competitive given that it is a government position.

Cons

Broad policy and red tape often make it difficult to do the right thing efficiently.

Advice to Management

Focus on determining the right thing to do and manipulate the rules, policies and regulations to make it happen. Don't let the overly broad and purposefully vague regulations be misinterpreted and make things more complex than they need to be.