FDH Velocitel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin G. Hostetler

Pros
  • Had a lot of great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• A lot of great and helpful people to work with in any part of the country (in 3 reviews)

Cons

1. "great company to work for"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at FDH Velocitel (Less than a year)

Pros

awseome people to work with

Cons

nothing to add all pros

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Questionable Future"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at FDH Velocitel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere, good benefits starting on first day of employment, youthful environment, commitment to contributing to the community through charitable drives.

Cons

High turnover, unstable. Salary freeze, discontinued educational reimbursement. Boredom.

Advice to Management

This position was not fully utilized, you could save someone else's job by distributing the responsibilities among existing staff.

3. "Over 3400 hours worked avg a yr."

Former Employee - On Road Supervisor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - On Road Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at FDH Velocitel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

About the only good thing was to once in awhile see old faces in the office now and then before they headed out on the road. That's really where it ends.

Cons

I held many different titles in my years at FDH before they merged, out of about 7 years, the first 2 were the best. Nice trucks passed down from the uppers, everyone knew everybody. The crew leads ran their route how they knew needed to be ran, and all of us were as efficient as someone can be after being on the road for a month straight. We would go out like alpha dogs, we knew our crew, what they could handle, and we're prepared for the jobs to come. Then FDH wanted to try putting college kids on the road to do what we have been doing for years.... then they would make them your boss. That's where it all went to crap. Like big government, they rotate more and more degree holding kids through the door to run things and they still can see that it was us in the begging, still here , that built them.

Advice to Management

You can't keep enough good people loyal enough to try and claim to handle Nation wide work, stay local, that's what is tearing you apart.

4. "Payroll Manager"

Former Employee - Payroll Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Payroll Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

It was a great group of people to work with.

Cons

They moved the Corporate office to Chicago.

"Good place just not great with their own internal finances."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at FDH Velocitel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a great work life balance. First Thursdays was great also. Had a lot of great people to work with. There is plenty of opportunity to get work done and do new and innovative things. No matter how you look it, there is lots to do.

Cons

Company is not great with managing their finances. Management not upfront about changes. There is a lot of waste that is going on in places. For example employing people in offices that should not be open. Wasted revenue that could be spent else where.

Advice to Management

When you tell people something in a town hall meeting then you should stick by it. If you cannot then you need to readjust and make the announcement again. People in general will understand upfront honesty and trying to do the right thing better than sneakiness. Own up to the shortcomings of the business rather than hide behind them and point the finger somewhere else.

"Field Construction Manager"

Former Employee - Field Construction Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Field Construction Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at FDH Velocitel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, Overall good work environment and associates, show your worth and it pays off

Cons

The transition from Velocitel to FDH Velocitel came many employee and corporate changes. It seems they valued their employees less and less as time went on and started to focus more on the numbers aspect. Logistics and Materials Management got to be a little chaotic for us FCM's in the field and they began to put more of those responsibilities on us rather than the Project Coordinators and Construction Scoping team. A large reason as to why I left the company. It no longer made me feel happy about work or the environment

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees, listen, figure out logistical issues in office and become more efficient in applying them out in the field.

"No long-term employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at FDH Velocitel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers. Help if needed. Very fast pace environment.

Cons

About the numbers. Had a very productive,busy and long hours year. So much that they brought in additional internal employees from other markets. After not getting all the additional work they counted on from their only client, in one day they sliced and let go over 50 employees that worked their butts off for them. At the time, had new CEO come in and made many positive promises and yet if you look at their website he is no longer there. Must have made his bonus then split for better pastures. Since then the Bloomington office has not been able to keep the majority of good employees any of the upper management. Company expects too much from employees.

Advice to Management

Reward employees for the hard work they do.

"Had Alot of Kinks to work out"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Rustburg, VA
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Rustburg, VA

I worked at FDH Velocitel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people working here were great.

Cons

Some of the people were not so great and did not deserve the positions they held.

Advice to Management

Put people into leadership roles that have the experience to merit their positions. A lot of inexperienced managers.

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at FDH Velocitel (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits. Willing to give new employees a chance before crushing them. Fast paced if not engaging, they seem to want to promote from within.

Cons

Disgruntled work environment. Echo reviews of detachment from reality. No professionalism. Motivation through terror and quite a bit of raised voices.

Advice to Management

Calm down.

"Contruction manager"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Upon startup. in new markets some very talented people were brought in. From both outside and inside the company. Fast paced great opportunity for a company to make a great name for themselves in the Telecom/Wireless world.

Cons

One of the most disorganized I have ever seen. There were 6 Turf Vendor Managers in less than 4 years, Positions and promotions made absolutely no sense. There were experienced and very good people that were not even considered, if you did not camp out in the office. There we general Contractor Crew leads. That were brought in as managers over people who were doing well and making the numbers for the projects assigned. These new managers sometimes had 1-2 years as a tower hand. And were promoted over experienced design and construction managers. Management had NO IDEA of what AT&T required to close out a job. And although there was a 10 to 1 ratio of office personnel to field personnel. The field was required to not only manage their given projects. But also the office paper work. And hand in a completed close out. So the office could do a once over and send them to the client. These packages often had to be redone several times. Because upper management did not know the proper way to compile the data needed for a closeout. This company had at least a 75% turnover rate. And always used the threat of loosing your job to make salaried personnel work a very high number of overtime hours. Without any compensation. If your in Telecom/Wireless. Look elsewhere for a job.

Advice to Management

What management? Highest rate of turnover in management and non management I have ever seen. And regional or national management had NO CLUE what each regional office was doing. Each office was like a completely different company.