FDM Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gain valuable experience (when placed on site with blue chip companies) (in 62 reviews)

• Opportunities to work with renowned clients (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Gaps between account managers and trainers/trainees (in 97 reviews)

• And else you will be miserable under the 2-year contract (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company!"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a college grad without much experience in programming, the training at FDM really prepared me for life on site at Fannie Mae as a software developer! The trainers really cared about our success and were very knowledgable about the subject they were teaching. Not only were the technical skills valuable, but the professional skills training prepared me for any future interviews I may have. FDM allows you the opportunity to get your foot in the door to make an impression that could turn you from being a contractor with a client into a full time employee after your 2 year contract. Overall great experience and very happy with where I have been placed and felt very prepared before going on site.

Cons

Required to wear business professional clothes in training when we could dress casually once on site

Advice to Management

The pay should be based on the area in which you are placed because of the different costs of living in each area.

2. "Junoir software developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really friendly and help undergrads get jobs and training for 16 weeks

Cons

No benefits starting off and have to relocate

"Gets your foot in the door"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group (More than a year)

Pros

FDM offers recent graduates an opportunity to get their foot in the door and provides additional training as well as a support staff

Cons

The pay is a 30% cut of what you would expect from an entry level position in the fields FDM provides consultants for. This is how they make their money but being a year into it now I can't wait to start making a salary aligned with the value I'm adding to the firm I'm consulting for.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary. Cost of living in NY is the second highest in the nation and most of your clients are located there. If a consultant is living on their own they will be struggling to get by let alone save for retirement or further education.

4. "Great Training and Job Placement"

Current Employee - Trainer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trainer in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, Job opportunities and ability to launch a career in IT

Cons

Very, very fast paced environment.

"Lack of communication"

Former Employee - IT Contractor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - IT Contractor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at FDM Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to work for large financial firms. Great first step in getting your foot in the door of the IT world.

Cons

Once onsite, communication with your account manager virtually doesn't exist. Towards the end of the contract where you expect to be in contact quite frequently, questions go unanswered for months or longer.

Advice to Management

Better contact with Contractors onsite, especially close to the end of contract date.

6. "Full Cycle Recruiter"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Mentorship, Strong Company Culture, Positive Environment, Home-Work Life Balance, Career Growth

As a veteran looking for a career, FDM put me in the position to grow my skills in recruitment by giving me strong mentors and making training readily available. While recruitment can be seen as a job with limited growth, FDM gives its employees the opportunity to broaden their experience and cross into more exciting roles like Account Management and Business Development.

Cons

As a company that focuses on nurturing the careers of recent graduates and transitioning veterans I can honestly say that the opportunity is great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

The Academy teaches on the job skills unlike some technical college courses I've had in the past. It is a very enthusiastic atmosphere. There is a camaraderie among trainees. Projects are very fast paced but trainers are extremely knowledgeable and helpful with course work. I feel like my skill level has grown significantly since I started at FDM.

Cons

Professional business attire every day.

Advice to Management

Casual Fridays and higher pay.

"Great experience for college grads"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a recent college grad, getting placed with an amazing IT company (they treat all employees well, genuinely want to keep us after the 2 year contract, get to travel occasionally) is all I could've asked for. Definitely utilize all available resources to you. I, too, was once terrified of all the negative reviews on glassdoor and almost quit before the 2 week probationary period. Trust me, as long as you know what you're getting into, this is an amazing deal.

Cons

Make sure you're adamant about not being geo flexible. That's the one big advantage I had going into this. Also don't be afraid to say no to jobs that don't appeal to you at all (but don't be overly picky either).

"Be careful"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at FDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office location, good benefits package.

Cons

Salary, office culture, account management team

Advice to Management

FDM group has what could be a GREAT business model in their hands. I fear that they will never live up to the greatness they can be-they wont even live up to half of it.

They underpay employees who enter into the bond with them (60% less then industry average) . You will be working 60+ hours a week with no possibility of overtime, and if you ask for it you will be treated like an ungrateful nuisance. Account managers use employees to make fat commissions and then expect you to feel indebted to them for your entire employment period.

If they stooped treating employees like a product, and started treating them like the valuable assets they are this company could really go far.

"FDM Group is a key, not a crutch"

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Placement. FDM Group has built relationships with financial firms that benefits any college graduate who are having trouble getting hired. Within 6 months (most with 3) the "consultant" will be placed on a high-end contract.

Cons

Support and transparency. During the initial 3 month training period FDM instructors motivate and inspire their students. The sales force takes the students and parades them in front of their clients as if they were on the streets of Vegas. Then the client accepts the contractor and the contractor moves on. The contractor is not a Full Time Employee of the client and there is no support from FDM Group. The contractor is a step child. During this exchange the contractor has no insight into the contract, its true duration and the process in general. The problem is that the contractor is treated like a rental car but told he is a valued product. Don't be glossy eyed. The contractor has a great opportunity to get a position with a high-end firm, but don't look for any perks or support until the contract is over. This is liken to an immigrant paying their dues to the coyote before they can appreciate their access to the USA.

Advice to Management

Simple. support is more than a 15 minute conversation every 6 months.