FDM Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2019

3.2
FDM Group CEO Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
  1. "High risk, low reward"

Current Employee - Risk, Regulation, and Compliance Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get your foot in the door at very reputable financial services firms. If looking for position in computer science field, they provide an extensive 12 week training program with courses in several coding languages.

Cons

Throw you into interviews with companies you are not interested in with the possibility of being placed at a company and position you hate for two years. A steep (starting salary worth) financial penalty awaits if you attempt to leave the company within the two year contract you sign.

Advice to Management

Lower the financial penalty that consultants face for leaving within two years. Treat your employees like employees rather than products.

FDM Group2019-11-19

"Fdm treats their staff badly. And senior management is racist and incompetent. AVOID AT ALL COSTS."

Former Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work at banks - But it doesn't matter because they have very strict non competition clauses so if the banks have no headcount to hire you in the first place, they will not have headcount to convert you as a permanent staff. And that's when their non competition clause comes in where you are not allowed to convert as a 'perm' hire under other agencies for the same position (more money for them).

Cons

- Strong white supremacy - HR is very weak and lazy - Claims to be an IT consultancy firm but places you anywhere, even totally unrelated fields like data entry, KYC. - You cannot say no to any placement because you have a bond penalty that is more than 29000USD if you break it before 2 years. - Senior Management is very incompetent - Most account managers do not care if the placement is not suitable for you, all... they care about is earning their commission - Minimal benefits, unpaid medical leave in some countries - that's absurd.

Advice to Management

Please reorganise and value your consultants more. My guess is that people at the top management do not know what is happening in the lower management where they 'bully' consultants. If you want to grow, value what makes your business grow - your consultant.

FDM Group2019-11-08
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Avoid at all cost"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friends you make during training

Cons

they seem to care only about placing you with a client

Advice to Management

Increase pay, give actual PTO

FDM Group2019-10-06
  5. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Get in the door in desirable positions at good companies. - Most companies will treat you as an employee as opposed to a contractor walking in the door. - There is in-depth training that is tailored for the roles. - No prior experience is required, for most this is their first job. - These are full W-2 positions, though you are a consultant, you get full health insurance and company benefits.

Cons

- The training is primarily refreshing previously learned topics. Training acts as a vetting process and those who have no experience with any of the required skills tend to be let go early on. - The pay is low and the client locations have high costs of living. - The pay is "hourly" but there is no overtime. You can lose pay for taking sick time but not for working overtime. - There is a $20-30k penalty for quitting

Advice to Management

Drop the quitting penalty, and make employees salaried.

FDM Group2019-10-01

"Pay is bad for location"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Academy is paid and is a great refresher after school Great networking opportunities Supportive staff

Cons

No col adjustment for urban areas, same pay for bay area as the south or midwest

Advice to Management

Col adjustment based on location

FDM Group2019-09-11
  7. "Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Junior Technical Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to get into IT industry.

Cons

Low salary as one is mostly training.

FDM Group2019-08-20

"A great opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great academy with solid teaching foundation

Cons

Low pay, but that is to be expected

FDM Group2019-08-06

"Java Developer"

Current Employee - Java Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great trainers, friendly people, good for getting your foot in the door for IT

Cons

Contract and willingness to relocate is necessary

FDM Group2019-07-25

"Only work here if you are good in toxic environments"

Former Employee - Business Analyst Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Training Program, floor design also looks nice.

Cons

While the material is good, some of the staff are terrible. Do not "rock the boat" with modern business idea's. Never speak about new business concepts or innovations. They want to sell you to almost only bank and bank-related companies who are run by very old school business ideals. If you go to the New York office they will put you in a tiny room, which you have to share with another person. There will be about... 18 inches of closet space, almost no drawer space and only enough space for a few feet around the two tiny beds. Also, the AC is not centralized, the window units will often fail due to age. If you can tough it out like that, sure go for it.

FDM Group2019-07-23

"Gets Pay wrong, no help at end of contract, changing account managers"

Current Employee - App Support/PMO in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

opportunities with highly esteemed companies

Cons

just a heads up, ratings below 1 are not accepted by glassdoor, so this is really a 4 point scale, not 5. 0/4 Without fail, me or one of my colleagues receives an incorrect (lower) pay than agreed to by contract. I am lucky enough to be placed with a few colleagues from FDM so we can compare our paychecks and find where they attempt to short change us. I feel bad for those who do not have anyone to compare... with FDM shows a nice looking presentation stating that at the end of a 2 year contract (which pays 40k year 1, 45k year 2, non negotioable) there are 3 options, remain a 3rd year FDM consultant with a negotiable raise in pay, be onboraded by the firm with which you were placed, or leave both firms and go on your own. What they dont tell you is that after 2 full years working for a firm, FDM offers the client firm the option to renew your contract for a short term of 3 months, if the client wants to do this, FDM will refuse to raise your pay. Another issue i have is that each consultant is under an account with a client firm which has an account manager. The account manager helps you understand the position you will be interviewing for and manages the relationship with the client. Additionally, the account manager is a contact for us throughout our placement and is who we negotiate our pay after 2 years is up. FDM switched my account manager mid placement to an account manager with whom i had never spoken, and this new account manager is incredibly hard to reach, and provides me with no help.

Advice to Management

Care about your consultants, as they are your source of income.

FDM Group2019-06-28