FGI Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David DiPiero

1. "Great company culture and lots of opportunities for advancing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FGI has a very fast paced work environment which makes days go by quickly and ensures that there is never a boring day. The insurance package is unbelievably exceptional. The people at this company are easy to work with and the company focuses on collaborative efforts. There are a lot of opportunities for moving up from within the company, and FGI offers the tools for training within the industry. I also love the location; it's a great office space in the financial district with large windows and decently sized work spaces.

Cons

It's difficult to come up with cons for working for FGI. The environment at times can be a little too fast paced and can feel a little overwhelming. The dress code can appear to be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Casual Fridays.
    Discounted gym memberships.
    Keep a close eye on employees to ensure that nobody is being overworked and that work can be evenly distributed.

2. "Fast Paced , Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at FGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- small enough that each employee feels like they are valuable
    - great company culture that puts money back into employee gatherings
    - people are nice
    - upward mobility is extremely attainable

Cons

- very fast paced, so can be tough for people just looking to do bare minimum and get by

Advice to Management

- casual fridays

3. "Great business and even better work environment"

Former Employee - Business Development Officer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Officer in Miami, FL

I worked at FGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is great opportunity to move up in the organization as we are growing and company promotes from within.

Cons

Fast pace and long hours

Advice to Management

more training outside of the office

5. "Wow. what a culture!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at FGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing managament team where upward mobility is possible. They truly care about the employees. The growth is strong and I have learned more than ever possible at a big firm.

Cons

Commuting to Manhattan stinks. I wish they had an office in New Jersey.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Awesome educational experience with a ton of independence"

Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at FGI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is very Excel intensive which is great for anyone who is looking to really improve their Excel skills. When I first started, I thought I was already pretty good with Excel, but I found I had a lot more to learn. The challenges in the projects given are never the same and it allows you to experiment with what works and what doesn't work as well as have the head underwriters teach you a lot of what they know.

As far as financial statement analysis, I found there's a big difference between learning how to do it in finance classes and doing it in the real world. No single company does it the same, and especially when dealing with private firms, there can be poor reporting and a lot of guess work which forces you to really know your stuff in order to accurately analyze a given firm’s financial statements.

Bottom line is, you have to at least have a basic understanding of financial statement analysis and Excel, after that, it’s all on the job training and really in two areas that are absolutely necessary for anyone who wants to be a financial analyst in any capacity later on.

Cons

As an intern, you really only work 15-20 hours a week and they're pretty flexible as far as working around your schedule. That being said, when a job needs to be done, they expect you to stay late and get it done. There are many time sensitive tasks that need to be completed for time sensitive deals. Also, it's always cold in the office which can be really annoying in the summer time. I always brought a zippered hoodie in.

Advice to Management

Get the building manager to lower the AC, it's freezing.

"Great Experience available and very fast paced, no one is going to baby you so man up."

Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at FGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Overall I got valuable experience out of the internship that pertains to not only the field of asset based lending but to a variety of different areas in finance. You get to evaluate and analyze companies first hand. Not only are you looking at finances on a piece of paper but you have access to their management team personally and this boosts your analytically ability as well as your interpersonal skills.

Cons

-The environment is fast paced and won't baby you. To everyone who keeps complaining about how the internship didn't teach you anything then that just means you weren't focused enough to learn anything. This is business in the real world not your personal classroom no one has time to sit around and teach you constantly. You are valued as an asset based on how fast you can pick things up while constantly being hit with new tasks.

"Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Collateral Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Collateral Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at FGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first job out of college. The knowledge & experience I'm gaining here is immeasurable. The girls on the operations team are great and really make coming to work every day a pleasure.

Cons

Starting salary is on the low side for this position in this area, but there are plenty of growth opportunities in the company, which is ultimately more important in the long run than the immediate compensation.

"A Workplace for the Ambitious"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at FGI full-time

Pros

FGI is a growing entrepreneurial business offering employees opportunities for career advancement and professional development. Management is always willing to teach and train. Maintaining a dynamic and spirited corporate culture is a priority for all of staff.

Cons

Ambition and drive are required to work here. The pace is fast and employees are expected to be on top form constantly.

Advice to Management

FGI has a unique and enviable corporate culture. Please make sure to maintain this culture as the company continues to expand.

10. "They are a boiler room through and through"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at FGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The younger people are cool but it doesn't outweigh shitty compensation

Cons

No desire to train you, a total sink or swim mentality. Which is ok if any of there products were worth a d@mn. I wouldn't recommend this job to anybody period. If you want to be in Finance this is not the place to start.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees training and I promise not only will you save money but you'll probably make a whole lot more than you are replacing half the staff every six months.

"glad this hangover is gone"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at FGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first few months when you drink the koolaid.

Cons

There is much to say about this company - it starts from the top-down. From the lack of respect from management, to the weird relationship management has with women in the office, to the constant semi-discreet meetings company will have.
    The compensation structure is the ultimate slap in the face as well - hard work is not rewarded. With no defined bonus plan, the company literally stole from employees.
    From what I hear in the industry, the company is now cannibalizing the relationships built with transactions...what a surprise.

Advice to Management

Wake up. With so many dissatisfied workers maybe something(s) are not working and should be reevaluated.