FHLB Chicago Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2021

3.4
FHLB Chicago President and CEO Matt Feldman (no image)
Matt Feldman
Pros
  • "People who have kids would love this place for getting flexible hours and a good work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Great benefits, initial experience to the financial services industry, exposure to senior leadership, developmental training opportunities(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Nobody has really heard of FHLBC(in 3 reviews)

• "These dealings significantly damage an otherwise promising company with a superb work life balance(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great job!

May 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is outstanding. They communicate well.

Cons

There are none at this time.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good for starter career

Jun 11, 2021 - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

great work life balance and benefits

Cons

limited mobility and paths for growth

3. 4.0

Software Engineer

May 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment Good colleagues to work with Best management

Cons

Nothing that I can think off

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

this place is going downhill

May 10, 2021 - Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like the people I work with

Cons

lack of upward mobility, dishonest leadership

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Littered with incompetence

May 11, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice pay, pension, and a decent amount of PTO

Cons

401k isn’t fully vested for 5 years. Lead developers and other team leaders are entirely incompetent and do not know how to build software.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Top Workplace (NOT)

Mar 16, 2021 - Analyst in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, nice coworkers, benefits, new office space

Cons

To many conflicting priorities, vacation time invaded and really not allowed to fully take, even though 30 days are given. ET’s favorite employees are known across the Bank and always given opportunities. Managers are not held accountable and if you are a favorite then you get a pass. HR controlling remote work and forcing people to be on camera for meetings. A lot of talk about diversity but no opportunities for people of color. Probably not the best workplace for people of color.

5 people found this review helpful

FHLB Chicago Response

VP, HR & Development

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago. We take all feedback seriously. Let us start by telling you that we are grateful that you are currently part of our team. This means there is certainly an opportunity for us to work with you to better understand how we can overcome these challenges together. We invite the opportunity to speak with you directly to learn more about your frustrations. • Paid Time Off (PTO): We offer generous vacation days because we want employees to unplug and enjoy their personal time. If PTO is not being valued across teams, we can look into this matter and hope you will inform us if interrupted time off continues to be a concern. • Accountability: We stress accountability throughout our performance management process because it is an integral piece in building trust, learning from our mistakes, and creating strong teams. Managers and employees go through continuous coaching on what it means to be accountable – but if you are not seeing this in practice, we want to know more so we can identify the disconnect and course-correct as needed. • Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI): Here at the Bank, DEI is of utmost importance. From job growth opportunities to comfortability with virtual work, we strive to ensure everyone has the tools and support they need to be successful. When this is not an employee’s experience, it concerns us, and we want to address it. Your HR Business Partner and our Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are here to listen and directly tackle anything that is inconsistent with our culture and our commitments to our employees. Thank you for your continued service to the Bank and honest feedback. We hope to connect soon to learn more. Whether we get to speak to you directly or not, know that we hear you. Your comments are being reviewed thoughtfully and will help us continue fostering a culture that prioritizes each employee’s professional growth and overall experience.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Security engineer

Apr 17, 2021 - Security Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice facilities, compensation, and people

Cons

Too much of internal politics

8. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 13, 2020 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are really nice and helpful. Generous PTO. Competitive health insurance and retirement plan. People who have kids would love this place for getting flexible hours and a good work-life balance. I definitely have seen lots of improvements in this place over time. Streamlined processes, better apps and tools, and more and more diversified and responsive teams and management. I can feel that the company is striving for good changes and is on its track to moving fast instead of maintaining the status quo.

Cons

The company is under heavy financial regulations. Sometimes it can be too much or even painful to handle the challenges from its regulators.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company

Feb 2, 2021 - AVP-Operations in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for with a true dedication to workplace culture.

Cons

None that are relevant to this review.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Mar 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good bonus structure, awarded in February

Cons

Lots of tension among senior leaders. Cut throat atmosphere where people take credit for ideas that didn't originate from them

3 people found this review helpful