FHLB Cincinnati Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Andrew S. Howell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Decent Company"

I have been working at FHLB Cincinnati full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fair salary.

Cons

Very repetitive work and non-social work environment. Very difficult to move up or find a different position. Culture is very "old-school" and technology is seriously lacking.

Advice to Management

Engage with your peers more often

2. "Ability to Impact Change"

Current Employee - Credit Services Operational Lead in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Credit Services Operational Lead in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FHLB Cincinnati full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve worked for both large and small companies, I enjoy the size of FHLB. I don’t feel like just another ‘number’, I feel like part of a family and that allows me to connect what I do every day when I come to work to a purpose greater than me.

I love the room for improvement that FHLB offers. I strive on making everyone’s day better in everything that we do and having the opportunity to do so is where I receive the most fulfillment in my role here.

Cons

I think that FHLB is at a fork in the road in relation to the historical, current and future business environment and has some decisions to make as to our role and subsequent ability to achieve the goals set out in our mission.

Advice to Management

Understand that leadership is a privilege, treat each employee interaction as an opportunity to forge a deeper connection with that employee and revisit the values you want them to hold to and display.
    Make sure employees can see first hand the value of what they are doing and the impact it has.
    Consciously try to raise the level of your employees’ consciousness -- both individually and collectively. Hold up a vision of what they are capable of doing and becoming and what, as a result of their efforts, the company can become.

3. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Accountant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at FHLB Cincinnati full-time

Pros

Low stress, work life balance, very good benefits, great work environment, pay is good for the amount of hours worked, upper management is very approachable

Cons

Pretty much have to wait for someone to retire to move up, technology is outdated, VERY repetitive work, no networking activities

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to provide more learning activities (like CPE events) for all employees, and not just upper management.

4. "Find Another Job"

Pros

Pension. That's the only reason you would ever work here.

Cons

First in gets promoted. Anyone after doesn't. It's not a matter of talent or ability. They don't care about experience or skill set. If you have another way to fund your retirement, then do that instead of accepting a position.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals instead of promoting within. Wanting to be a manager isn't the same as having the background, experience, and ability to be a manager.

5. "Decent job, but not very dynamic."

Current Employee - Quantitative Risk Analyst II in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Quantitative Risk Analyst II in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FHLB Cincinnati full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers and environment, excellent job stability and security.
    If you're in the right place at the right time opportunities can open up. Semi flexible hours. The work environment is usually relaxed and management does not make unreasonable demands.

Cons

The pay and bonus are low and they work can be repetitive. Not much room or use for creative analysis. Certain departments do not work as well together as they could.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward talent.

6. "Cowboys and Firefighters"

Pros

Very good benefits package, no travel, parking or transit assistance is available along with both a 401K and pension plan.

Cons

No consistent, documented processes are in place in the IT department. Communication is severely lacking between departments. The environment encourages "cowboy coding" practices by developers and "firefighting" by support personnel.

Advice to Management

- Practices that worked in the past are not necessarily appropriate for use today.

- The purchase and/or use of tools is not the same as the implementation of procedure.

"A mediocre semi-governmental employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at FHLB Cincinnati full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work assignments are mostly routine and due to semi-governmental status, the organization is very risk adverse when dealing with employees. Will attempt to buy employees' loyalty and engagement. Maintains "cadillac" pension and 401K plans.

Cons

Annual pay raises are below average. Health benefits used to be very good and reasonably priced but now watered down and expensive. High level of focus on profit/dividend rate and controlling operating costs like pay and benefits. Very flat organization with little upside growth potential for the majority of employees.

Advice to Management

New president effective June 1st who is perceived as good guy and friendly. However most (not all) "senior" officers need to check personality and individual ambititions at the front door. Some staff and officers are staying too long just because of the pension plans.

"The suckiest job you'll never leave"

Current Employee - Sr. Application Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sr. Application Developer in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Retirement Plan
    Benefits - inexpensive, good healthcare coverage
    8:30 to 5:00 job
    Annual Bonus to 10% - everybody gets it
    Company is extremely profitable
    Job for life
    Everybody has the title "Senior Application Developer". Looks good on your resume

Cons

2-3% annual pay increases for everybody
    Low base base
    Hard work isn't recognized
    Poor performers get same pay increase and bonus as good performers
    There's no reward for taking risks or doing a good job
    Ancient computers
    Horrible working environment - cubicle city. Most people will never see the sun.
    Processes don't make sense. Very restrictive, even considering that it's a bank.

Advice to Management

Give employees pay increases that correspond to their contribution. If you pay everybody the same and give everybody the bonus, then you are rewarding mediocrity. Recognize good performers and get rid of the worst performers.

"-"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

-benefits (medical/dental)
    -tuition reimbursement
    -incentive program
    -stability
    -opportunity to grow within the company-->either through promotion or departmental transfer

Cons

-work/life balance
    -base salary
    -vacation accrual rate
    -sick leave policy
    -mandatory annual 5 day absence