FHLB Des Moines Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Mike Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Established bank with an eye for the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at FHLB Des Moines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FHLB Des Moines is great bank to work for. The emphasis they place on transparency and employee engagement is very refreshing. The bank tries to make all employees aware of how individual and bank actions can positively impact our members and the communities they serve. Compensation and benefits are excellent. And the culture, at least in my area, is positive and open to change.

Cons

The bank is an established institution with a set way of doing business, while most people seem open to change there are a few that seem resistant. There is also a level of complexity to the operating structure of the bank that can make it difficult to fully understand how everything, and everyone, works together. I believe management at the bank is currently aware of these cons and they are actively trying to address them.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on engagement, education and collaboration with employees. Continue looking for ways to improve the member experience and the products and services that we can offer our members.

2. "Risk Analyst"

Current Employee - Market Risk Analyst I in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Market Risk Analyst I in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at FHLB Des Moines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the Bank. Nice coworkers always willing to help, knowledgeable boss who can give you timely guidance, decent workplace, great work-life balance. You can learn a lot and enjoy working.

Cons

Small team, fewer advancement opportunities. No much cons I can think of except the city is small. Winter is long...

Advice to Management

It surprised me the management even asked people's opinion on relocation of new office building, etc. lots of all-hand events that I really love. Keep the good job!

3. "FHLB Des Moines"

I have been working at FHLB Des Moines full-time

Pros

Enjoy the people and the opportunities

Cons

Some members of executive management do not get it

4. "Analyst"

I have been working at FHLB Des Moines full-time

Pros

Nice working environment. Everyone is nice here.

Cons

Old technology. Limited learning resources.

5. "nice company"

Pros

people are nice
    great work life balance
    flexible work hours

Cons

IT and business are located in the different buildings

6. "IT"

I worked at FHLB Des Moines full-time

Pros

Federal Home Loan Bank is a small company that provided growth opportunity with a phased technology project. Agile Methodology is a process that worked well within the organization. Business teams were very attentive and helpful through IT projects

Cons

Limited growth opportunities with the size of IT. IT leadership was a serious issue that has since been resolved.

Advice to Management

When you have multiple complaints about a C-level leader in your organization, LISTEN!

7. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at FHLB Des Moines full-time

Pros

Offer lots of training, flexible hours/schedules, THE BEST BENEFITS EVER! Great vacation, maternity leave, 401K and great HR. Friendly people and some great team leaders and managers. Even if you have a not so great manager, you are usually working with a lot of fun people that are willing to help you succeed. Your teams are able to work unsupervised and team is able to manage themselves. The pay is very, very generous! Even though you will see the CONS below, I would still suggest it is a great place to work. FHLB is slowing changing to modernize themselves with this day and age banking.

Cons

Sometimes teams tend to work like high school "click" forgetting that we are actually all part of a big team. Also, there are some not-so-great managers. They should offer managers training in regards to interpersonal skills or managing different people. The former Seattle FHLB employees seemed to be stuck in a different decade-meaning some managers that had been longtime FHLB employees were not up to date with modern team management skills. It was difficult for me coming from a new school, modern business background to and "old school" way of thinking. Especially towards women. I tried very hard to fit in with my team but my woman manager (I am female too) made it very difficult for me and seemed to take my concerns and questions as a way of me attacking her or blaming her? It was very childish and made me very depressed for the first 4 months I started. Things later smoothed out as it seem that some managers can be more emotional than other. Things worked out in the end because she didn't see me as a threat and I realized what I was dealing with (an emotional manager) and figured out my place and accepted her for who she was. Apparently there were some personal things going on that might have affected her judgement. She was a nice person in general, a great mother-but I didn't need another mother. I needed a strong manager.
    Also, read everything in regards to right and benefits. My manager and HR would sometime not very aware of the "accurate" policy as I was pulled in and almost written up for a PTO infraction. After my meeting with HR and mgr, I further researched and saw that as a new employee, I was within policy. I never went back to correct them because again, I was dealing with a sometimes emotional (hot/cold) individual.

Advice to Management

Seek training. When an employee comes to you with a concern it is your job to help them flourish, not point fingers at them.

8. "Good place to work"

Pros

I love the challenging tasks that I got so far

Cons

Nothing for me so far

9. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at FHLB Des Moines (More than 5 years)

Pros

good job security and work/life balance

Cons

It's very hard to move up.

10. "Biased Environment"

Pros

The benefits are good comparatively.

Cons

Biased people holding important positions. Management doesn't care for their employees. Employees are treated under valued than consultants.