FHLB Indianapolis Reviews | Glassdoor

Milton J. Miller II

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at FHLB Indianapolis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While there is no perfect place to work, FHLBI is the best place I have had employment.

I work in IT. At other companies overtime had consumed my life. Working 10 hour days was an easy day. Code deadlines, Application issues etc. At FHLBI I have work life balance. Is it perfect? Of course not, but the best from my experience. The times where I have had to be there all night, the executive in charge was there with us, not hovering. He was present helping where he could. Can a technical person ask for more?

I expect from management that they try to do the right thing. I have seen in my years at FHLBI an attempt over and over again to do the right thing. They might not always get it right, but they try and that is all I can ask. Most managers are sincere, and honest. An open door policy that is real.

I have had two times where I have told management at the 'C' level that I did not agree with what they were doing. They NEVER held it against me. They listened and were engaged in the conversation. Then told me why they did what they did. I can ask for no less. Where in IT do you see this type of collaboration? I have never had it before.

I can ask no more than to have honest decision makers that care about people. This is the culture that I have experienced at FHLBI.

A simple example, the employee health. FHLBI bought close to 100 fitbits for the employees that wanted one. A 'C' level executive told me to make sure that I took time to get in my steps. At least 30 minuets (on the clock).

This is my experience and I would recommend this company.

Cons

FHLBI is a regulated company. It adds work load for check and balances, because we are a financial company.

"Do more with less IT!"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at FHLB Indianapolis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Stability, from a company perspective it is stable and not likely to ever move or go under.

-Money, they are willing to throw money at problems, it's too bad they never throw the money at the real problems that need it.

-Management, they always have an open door policy, it's just a shame they are always in meetings and never around to add valuable input. For as many of them that there are it's amazing, you can't ever find one!

-HR, the benefits are reliable, because even as the times change the benefits never do. Don't expect too much here.

Cons

Having worked in this company's IT department for years I found myself at a fork in the road. This company has given me an opportunity to get hands-on with a lot of technology and interact with some great people, but management is not aware of the real issues. IT is a growing industry in Indianapolis and as such if you do not show your employees they are valuable you will loose that resource to another company. So here are my top five IT con with the company:

1. Do More with less- Stop that right now! You want to grow the business drop this 200 employee limit and expand your capabilities by hiring more IT support. Your staff is not just traders and accountants. IT is the foundation of your profits. Without the computers and software, that your other departments use, do you really think they would be as efficient as they are?

2. No employee investment- they do care what it is you want to learn about they only want to send you to training that they think will behoove them and as such, I think they under-appreciate their employees.

3. Too many managers- In a company that wants to do more with less it is crucial that, in IT, you have more employees doing work and fewer managers trying to "steer the ship" if you will.

4. Work Life Balance- because this company wants to grow but doesn't want to hire the IT employees required to grow the existing employees are expected to give up weekends and nights, regularly, to complete the requested workload.

5. Compensation- IT is an ever growing environment in Indianapolis. As such if you do not compete with salaries your turnover will continue to grow.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that this company take a serious look at the number of outsiders they bring in to manage. Show some investment in the employees that have knowledge of the business and promote from within. The employees that have been working there for years can manage just as well if not better than anyone from North Carolina.

There is a clear need to hire more IT staff. Your turnover rate in the last 5 year has grown exponentially. Why do you think that is?

Focus on the turnover. Proactively ensure voices are listened to and changes are made to improve the situations. Employee satisfaction is not a new thing, but it is clear that it is something that you have forgotten about. There are so many managers how is it that nothing is ever managed?

"Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at FHLB Indianapolis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Very nice, willing to help.

Cons

There are some silos and getting people to work across the silos can be challenging. Clear goals and vision are also lacking in some areas.

Advice to Management

Provide a clearer goal and direction to employees and they will be more likely to pull together and make great things happen.

"Community Investment Department Intern"

Former Intern - Community Investment Department in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Intern - Community Investment Department in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at FHLB Indianapolis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process for this position was for relaxed and easy going. The first interview was a simple phone interview going over your resume and experiences. Once you are invited into the office, you have an interview with the Community Investment Officer, your pending Manager, and an analyst within the department. The interview is behavioral and also goes into more depth of your prior experiences. If you get an offer, the position provides you with a lot of hands on experience and you get chance to be apart of the Affordable Housing Program. Also, everyone in the department is very friendly and willing to help you out with any problems you are having.

Cons

The department and bank are a little behind in their technology. The system the AHP runs on is all paper and could be made much more efficient utilizing a technology solution. Also, at times there is not a lot of work for you to do on job.

6. "Disappointing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at FHLB Indianapolis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the staff are good to work with, benefits are good but have been scaled back recently.

Cons

Was unceremoniously let go out of the blue for the only reason given was CEO wanted to keep the staff level at an arbitrary level, but had to train my replacement up to the point I found I was no longer employed; and I am not the first person this happened to.

"A great place to learn and expose"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at FHLB Indianapolis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to learn tools like SNL and Bloomberg, learn a lot through reading annual reports and credit reports from a few NRSROs. Flexible working schedule, great and friendly team members. The quantitative nature of jobs done is beyond my expectation and I benefited a lot from it

Cons

With the duration of the internship, the initial planning of eight weeks seems a little bit too short. It is possible to extend to more than eight weeks but as it starts in early June, the extension cannot be too long. May be better if the internship can start earlier

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at FHLB Indianapolis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Does not offer ability to work for most positions.

Cons

This company has great benefits and compensation.

"Financial Controls Intern"

Former Intern - Financial Controls Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Intern - Financial Controls Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at FHLB Indianapolis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great support system for interns both in the accounting department and finance department
    -Work experience within all levels of the company
    -There were a couple of fun activities during the summer such as a company picnic

Cons

-work is mostly data entry

"Awesome company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

1. It's a small company in the number of employees. This enables the company to move quickly to respond to customer needs.
    2. Has very well educated and trained workforce in finance, accounting, and IT roles
    3. The company leverages technology as a strategic tool
    4. Defined pension plan, Matching 401K, Gain-sharing, 10-12 major holidays a year, along with ample vacation time, and tuition reimbursement
    5. The company participates in community activities (financial and employee participation)
    6. The location is great - Indianapolis is easy to get to and get out of an d is very inexpensive to live

Cons

Over regulated - Examiners, external audit, internal audit
    No flex schedule - too small

Advice to Management

Look for ways to continue to innovate and automate mundane processes. Convert paper files to electronic.