FI Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "An amazing culture and a great place to learn so much!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at FI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You have the opportunity to constantly develop your skills by diving into different project work all the time. Plus, it's a very flat structure, so you don't have to work with layers and layers of management. All of the management is in tune with the work we do, and is there to further develop people's careers.
    -Upper Management is incredibly supportive, mindful, and they are great people to work with and learn from
    -You will work amongst some of the most intelligent and nicest people you've ever met!
    -An excellent culture with plenty of fun events, team gatherings and a beautiful rooftop for happy hours!

Cons

-Lower cost medical benefits would make our current compensation packages even more attractive

Advice to Management

-Keep being great at being supportive, having an open door, and focusing on employee development!
    -It's amazing how the CEO works so closely with everyone and is involved in so many projects...you just don't see that at other companies, and it just shows how dedicated and in tune he is to growing our company and keeping our culture strong...keep it going!
    -The COO is an extremely impressive person with excellent ideas and an incredibly empowering management style. I've never seen a high level manager as dynamic as her!

2. "Talented and Driven will flourish"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA

I worked at FI Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial style allows motivated and hardworking individuals to rise quickly. There is a huge emphasis on continuing professional growth, and management will accommodate personal side projects so long as they benefit the firm. The consultants at FI are head and shoulders above the average crop at other consulting firms (Big 4 comes to mind)

Cons

Extremely competitive employees, which can occasionally lead to friction within the consulting rank and file. If you are looking for a 40 hour work week where you can slide by, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Incentivize collaboration.

3. "Great employees and terrific place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at FI Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

FI is great place to learn and develop yourself and your career. I learned more technical and soft skills here than all other jobs combined. The firm does an excellent job hiring smart, driven, and collaborative employees. Great culture with nice people who are enjoyable to work with. Being a small firm, you have a real opportunity to have a say and make an impact. Open door policy with upper management.The negative feedback on this site about the COO is ridiculous. I worked there for several years and the COO is fantastic.

Cons

Hours can be long depending on the project. It is a smaller firm so you may not have the opportunity to specialize in one particular skill/industry when it comes to projects (this can also be seen as a positive, as you don't get pigeonholed).

4. "Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at FI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FI is one of the BEST companies I've ever worked for. People are smart, friendly, and willing to help one another. I've learned a great deal, and been given opportunities to grow my role, and my career. I would not want to work anywhere else. I look forward to where we will go with our company, and it's exciting to be a part of it.

Cons

I work with a lot of really smart people who all want to do well, but don't always understand that success is a process, and does not happen overnight. You have to pay your dues, and prove that you are ready/cable of moving to the next level.

5. "Great Company for Financial Analysts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at FI Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Extremely smart and competent people
    -Interesting clients and projects
    -Competitive compensation

Cons

-Possibility of long project hours

"Management Does not See Big Picture"

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at FI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenally intelligent and talented staff. The company does a great job hiring people that are fun to work with. FI has made some critical hires recently in an attempt to grow the company. Whether or not this pays off is yet to be determined.

Cons

1). Previous critiques of the COO are spot on.
    2). Don't expect to have any say in which project you are placed on.
    3). Very difficult to get exposure to financial modeling. Most projects are either validation or staff augmentation.
    4.) Management is well aware job titles of "Analyst" and "Senior Analyst" are not competitive and prevent FI from getting valuable employees. Therefore, FI uses the highly questionable hiring practice of listing jobs under enticing job titles and then informing potential hires their job title will actually be "Analyst" when they extend an offer. I wonder how many potential candidates have not considered working for FI simply because they don't want to take the job title demotion. Current job titles are a disservice to employees. Shame on the leadership team for their unwillingness to make an obvious change that would benefit both the company and current/future employees.

Advice to Management

Management should start listening to employees. Reduce the delay in giving out bonuses to one month. Continue to add corporate clients.

FI Consulting Response

Oct 26, 2015 – Assistant HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As we have grown as a firm, we have been discussing the need to modify our staff titles to more accurately reflect our staff’s responsibilities. Management takes ... More

"Great Place for Motivated Individuals"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at FI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented, fun, energetic co-workers. Many opportunities for learning, developing, and contributing which will continue to become more abundant if/when the firm grows. Further, it is a growing firm willing to listen to your ideas, which provides many opportunities to contribute and give input into firm development, if that's something you're interested in. Continuous Improvement, a firm value, is supported. Management… is flexible and willing to work with you to find the right project and role for you, as long as you are communicating that to them. There is a variety of project work from staff aug work to data analysis and visualization, to large financial system development and you aren't silo'd into one specific area.

Cons

As is in the consulting world, project and team placement can be the luck of the draw. You can slip through the cracks if you aren't vocal about project and career interests. Smart, talented, and motivated coworkers make the heavily-weighted bonus system competitive.

Advice to Management

Though the high bonus structure supports meritocracy, a firm value, it causes more grief than good. Reduce the weight of the bonus.

"Great Co-Workers, Clueless Management"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at FI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultants that work at FI are great. Everyone is exceptionally intelligent and easy to work with.

I like the bonus structure and the fact that a large portion of your compensation is determined by performance.

Cons

As mentioned in other reviews, the company seems determined to negatively impact itself and their employees by refusing to give their employees respectable titles. I don't think there has ever been an employee hired at FI (who had work experience) that did not take a demotion in title to work at FI. Why? What good does this do FI and what good does it do their employees? Employees are ashamed of their titles. I think that is really sad because FI employees are highly intelligent and hardworking.

Advice to Management

Get better projects. End internal trainings - this is a huge waste of money. There are so many great resources out there, why waste time developing these trainings internally? Fix the job titles.

"Growing Company/ Good Money- Abrasive People"

Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at FI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well structured- good opportunities to learn. Good mentoring system, growth opps..

Cons

HR/COO not friendly- not a fun environment- not particularly a warm environment.

Advice to Management

To retain employees- do a better job at making your employees feel like part of a team

FI Consulting Response

Mar 11, 2015 – Assistant HR Manager

Thank you for your review. As one of our firm values is “Continuous Improvement”, we are happy to hear that you felt there were good opportunities to grow at FI. Sorry to hear about your experience ... More

10. "Best place to work"

Pros

Fun environment , work with smart people. Really motivated upper management, and always listens to suggestions. Has a startup feel to it, but very well established in the DC metro area.

Cons

Bench time may vary sometimes depending on project pipeline.