FIC America Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "MACHINE OPERATOR"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at FIC America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i am working for the fic america in the lase 5 year welding department in the machine operator

Cons

I AM WORKING FOR MACHINE OPERATOR

2. "Maintenance Mechanic"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at FIC America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, helpful training, knowledgeable trainers

Cons

not hired in from staffing agency, short term use

Advice to Management

cut amount of hours for employees. exhaustion sets in at some point

3. "Good employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vincennes, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vincennes, IN

I have been working at FIC America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful insurance! Nice people! Jobs aren't to difficult. Love a forty five minute lunch. Day shift runs pretty smooth. Good place!

Cons

Lots of hours! Not enough help! Work faster not smarter and alot of quality issues becauseof this. Night shift is run horrible.

Advice to Management

Less hours more pay

4. "Open Office Layout"

I worked at FIC America (More than a year)

Pros

Workplace was relatively small, not too many coworkers. It's the corporate office for 4 plants in North America (FIA in Indiana, FIC in Bloomingdale/Carol Stream, FIT in Texas, FIO in Ontario, Canada). Workplace is more than 50% Japanese people. Some staff members do not speak English. It was a good place to practice and use the Japanese language.
    In 2014, we had regular free lunches, about monthly or so, but by 2016 we hardly ever got free lunches. Felt like I could get to know some of the people I worked with because we worked together very frequently, and felt like we were on the same team. Great location, nice building. I felt that the work challenged me to improve a lot of my skills as well as gain new skills.
    After my first year, I got a huge raise, and I thought it was tied to my performance, but I got a very small raise the next year. When I asked why, I was told it was because the first year was to bring my salary up to the norm, and then I would not receive raises like that again.
    Sometimes there were opportunities to take business trips to other plants, such as the North American plants. Other people were able to take business trips to the plants in Japan and other countries in the Futaba group such as the UK or China. But most of the time our plant visits were to the local plant, FIC, which was about 10-15 minutes away

Benefits are very good. Insurance policy is really amazing, and also they have optical and dental coverage. They have a life insurance policy for free and you have an optional 401K after a certain amount of time with the company (I think 1 year). Occasional bonuses and holiday party every year.

It is a stable and reliable job for someone who is looking for that. It is not, however, a fun or rewarding job.

Cons

Did not care for open office layout. No space for myself, and always interrupted. Also, it seemed like almost everyone here is a cigarette smoker.
    The overall atmosphere of the company was negative. Turnover was very high. In approximately two years, almost everyone that I worked with in my department at the beginning was gone (corporate office and plants).
    There was a lot of workplace drama and bullying. I was bullied by several people, including people that were not even in my department and people that did not even work for the corporate office (worked for the plants). I felt that HR was not willing to do anything in cases of harassment. Complained about bullying from one staff member to HR, and their response was "Many people have complained about this person, but their personality is volatile, so we believe if they are confronted about their behavior, they will respond negatively. We will not complain to them but someday we will probably fire them."
    When I quit the job I had to carefully explain to my supervisors what I was doing at work every day, because they honestly did not know what I did as my job duties

Advice to Management

HR needs to make huge changes if the company atmosphere is to improve. People who are poor managers and bullies should not be promoted or rewarded for their bad behavior, or promoted only because they have been at the company for a long time.
    In addition, people who are working hard need to be rewarded for their efforts, or they will continue to leave.
    Also, you need to make raises and compensation actually tied to what people are doing for the company and how much effort they are putting in. If someone gets a very positive performance review, reward them accordingly.

5. "Forklift driver / order Picker"

Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at FIC America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't one unless you want to count all the lies they told you. They sure sound great but aren't true.

Cons

Worst place ever to work at. Do not get brought into their lies and deceptions. They overwork you and bring other people in at different pay who are entry level positions when others have been there 5-7 years and making alot less. They require mandatory 12 hour shifts even Saturday and Sunday and promise you raises and promotions then lie about it. All the hr is corrupt don't make a bad decision by working here you will regret it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of it and all of HR

6. "Poor Management !!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at FIC America (More than a year)

Pros

you will have a good learning experience

Cons

Poor management decisions, safety is not a priority and very long work hours

7. "Nasty oily Manufacturing created by Japanese jerk!"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at FIC America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing to give even one star. Nasty oily Manufacturing made in USA by Japanese Cleaver People. Japanese companies never created good manufacturing in the USA. Cleaver Japanese must stop doing dirty unsafe business in US soil. The plant is nasty, oily and unsafe. People are getting hurt everyday. Watch out folk! Do not work for Japanese Company. Pay less money in dangerous work.

Cons

Do not work for Japanese Company.

Advice to Management

Must go back to japan. Bring back light manufacturing work in the US.

8. "Machine Operator"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at FIC America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great deal of OT.

Cons

There is no work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Please value your employees.

9. "OK company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at FIC America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly employees, including most managers. OK salary. Working conditions: Office work is good, but working in the production department is really bad.

Cons

To many politics. Discrimination: if you're Japanese then this the place for you!

"Former Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at FIC America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, they were good people. At least they are trying to improve!

Cons

The production is full of wastes... They produce just to rework as they come out of the machine. The culture is striving to be TPS but is anything but that. Atmosphere is very hard to work in and very unsafe. Piles of containers filled with over production and no inventory management system. This company needs a lot of work. Don't think the company will adjust to you, you will have to adjust to it. The office was very hard to work in!

Advice to Management

Invest in new dyes to prevent rework. Hire some competent Lean leadership to produce a lean culture and be TPS. STOP OVERPRODUCING! Safety first... Production second! Remember that!