FINRA Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2020

3.5
FINRA President and Chief Executive Officer Robert W. Cook
Robert W. Cook
Pros
  • "Nice work life balance and will have opportunity to work on advanced technologies(in 119 reviews)

• "Good benefits and work/life balance programs(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "Staff pay remains low, while senior management pay remains obscenely high, and opportunities for advancement remain scarce(in 24 reviews)

• "Zero room for advancement (unlike in the past)(in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Great, Innovative, Mission-Driven Organization"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at FINRA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

FINRA is a great place to work for those who want to feel like they are doing some good in the world. Overall, the culture at FINRA is great. The organization values collaboration, innovation and diversity and inclusion. I've never worked somewhere with so many employee resource groups before! (I think it's up to 10??) After five years with the company (and one promotion), I can honestly say I still feel like I'm learning and still embracing new challenges. That's what has kept me engaged. Plus, I get to work with some seriously smart people. I'm lucky to be able to learn from their expertise every day. Another pro in the current environment is that while many financial firms might be laying off given what covid-19 has done to the economy, FINRA won't since FINRA is most important during periods of greater volatility.

Cons

FINRA doesn't pay as much as a financial services firm, but the work-life balance more than makes up for that difference, in my opinion. Not to mention the knowledge that your work is actually doing some good in the world - not just making a big organization some money. One other con is that if you are at a cocktail party, you can pretty much guarantee that most people will have never heard of FINRA and if they have heard of FINRA, they probably work in the financial services industry and might not want to talk to you.

2. "Great work life balance and always learning something new."

5.0

I have been working at FINRA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home twice a week. 40 hour weeks without any stressful deadlines. Sincere and responsive management.

Cons

Work can be slow during certain times of the year.

FINRA Response

February 18, 2020Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We're glad to hear you are enjoying your experience working at FINRA and always learning something new.

3. COVID-19

"FINRA's Response to current events has exceeded expectations"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at FINRA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1. Response to BLM has been energetic from the CEO through management. After years of platitudes from our diversity HR looks like something is being done about racial inequality. 2. Equally, FINRA's care for its employees during the COVID period has been outstanding. The teleworking technology has worked seamlessly. Executive management has been proactive about ensuring staff have time for child care, elder care, grocery shopping; we even had a surprise day off from the CEO! We are in no hurry to return to the office, and it seems there will be many additional WFH options as we phase back. 3. We're getting raises to bring our base salaries in line with our industry. 4. FINRA remains a warm, safe, friendly place. The rearrangement of staff assignments and reporting lines that resulted from an internal reorganization have forced former "frenemies" to learn to work together, and surprise! it's been a great success.

Cons

1. 2019-2020 promotions were given based on "who you knew". There remains endemic stubbornness to look outside one's comfort zone. Perhaps as we start putting some meat into our diversity program this will be successfully challenged. 2. Little interest from new management to learn how successful programs worked before tossing them (but that's typical in management changes). 3. Not really a place for an ambitious person 4. Some fear/risk of embracing and promoting diversity improvement opportunities

"Great company"

Former Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at FINRA full-time

Pros

Great people, Great benefits, Great training

Cons

Opportunities for advancement could be limited at certain levels.

5. "3 out of 5"

Former Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good mission. Good work life balance. Good cafeteria

Cons

Archaic technology. Too much red tape. Annoying time tracking system that scrutinizes your every move. Feels like you are under a microscope and being micro managed 24/7. Not much room for career growth. The difference between an analyst and a senior analyst and a principal analyst is tenure. Your skillset will be limited here.

Continue reading
  6. "Incredible work life balance"

Former Employee - Examiner in New York, NY

I worked at FINRA full-time

Pros

FINRA offers a ton of great benefits and truly cares about its employees

Cons

I have nothing that would fit the con category.

7. "Mission driven"

Former Employee - Examiner

I worked at FINRA full-time

Pros

Great people and inspiring mission

Cons

Somewhat bureaucratic, must pay dues to advance

8. "Good Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at FINRA full-time

Pros

401k contribution Work From Home is becoming more common Good Work Life Balance

Cons

Vacation could be better Pay raise and bonus are confusing Promotions take time

"A great place with lots of limitations"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Counsel in Chicago, IL

I worked at FINRA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loan forgiveness is amazing. The legacy of the place is quite inspiring. The place is a wonderful stepping stone to investment banking. With the right leadership this could be an amazing place to work.

Cons

Leadership is inconsistent. The trading community is shrinking and membership is dwindling. Technology is horrible. The old guard there seem unable and unwilling to learn or get away from the old trading days. Diversity is rarely a consideration, and some of the old guard managers just plan and simply to be fired. Right now FINRA is directionless in the face of dire need. I hope they get their act and technology together.

"Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Benefits for the job

Cons

Not much growth opportunities or development plans

FINRA Response

May 11, 2020Community Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your benefits while working at FINRA. We encourage all employees to discuss growth opportunities and training opportunities with their managers to create a development plan.

Found 488 reviews