FINRA Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall Good Place"

Current Contractor - SDET2 in Rockville, MD
    Current Contractor - SDET2 in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working environment is good.
    Colleagues are really nice.
    Some projects always try to use cutting edge technology.

Cons

The workload and style are really depended on the team, my team is good, but I heard some teams that are not that friendly.

2. "Know Someone or Be Prepared to Grind"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits Package
    Good overall compensation
    Good overall work/life balance

Cons

Work environment varies greatly- fro super relaxed to hyper aggressive - among Departments, business groups, and teams based on individual managers.

"Trying but Failing"

Former Employee - Principal Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working there for 10 years i can say that i was surrounded by intelligent colleagues and very intelligent attorneys. Company had standard PTO and benefits, and based on company updates it seems as though the company is now trying to be more "transparent".

Cons

At every corner there is something unfavorable. Year 2016 was a profitable one for the company yet analysts paychecks were the only ones that seemed to be really hurt (very low bonuses and merit increases), as senior management (managers, directors, senior directors and up) still took home bonuses that matched their three figure salaries. The biggest thing is communication and it being nonexistent. The senior management do not communicate with staff at all and that leads to major problems and high turnovers. As an analyst, you want to feel valued for major accomplishments, so senior management might give you verbal Kudos but when its time for a performance review, all those “kudos” seem to fly out the window. End of the year performance reviews are very one sided, analysts don’t get to review their managers or directors. Analysts are vastly underpaid. Nothing is done to managers or directors that have a high turnover rate. Many times, departments will pass on hiring an over qualified internal senior analyst for an external new hire because the company can pay the external new hire less money. There are also times that senior management will choose not to promote an analyst without a reason. Senior management should be required to communicate why someone wasnt hired or why someone was refused a promotion to that person. Often promotions occur because of personal favoritism. Senior management are not open to suggestions from analysts. Senior management don’t believe in taking preventative measures to ensure a department has necessary resources needed but would rather wait until things escalate to the Executive Vice Presidents. All in all, whenever things are done that don’t make sense or don’t seem reasonable or don’t seem to be to most logical decision, we analysts always say “That’s the FINRA way”.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to analysts, not just senior management. Have senior management also be evaluated by their teams. Do something when there is high turnover on a team. Communicate with the team. Dont wait until things are escalated before coming up with a solution. If analysts have to take a monetary hit based on budget constraints then senior management should too. End the favortism. Be transparent about the expenses.

"Going downhill fast..."

Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexibilty, friendly work space

Cons

Managers are cheap with salary, raises are nonexistent without a promotion, telework is unavailable to those with outdated managers, way more concerned with an appearance of diversity than actually doing the work, promotions are given based on time in service not actual performance and skills.

Advice to Management

Leap into the 21st century, purge outdated micromanagers and styles, focus on quality and not quantity of work.

"Great Company plagued by Revenue Issues"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful culture. Very co-operative. Great Work Life balance. Heavy focus on collaboration.

Cons

When budget cuts happen, it is usually the technology team that is impacted. Many are contractors anyway. But often the employees get swept too.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Attorney in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Attorney in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Your experience will vary greatly based on your managers
    - Make sure to ask around before you accept a position

Cons

- Hyper critical micromanagers who are not interested in mentoring
    - At will employment establishment that uses appraisals to nit pick rather than give honest assessment and helping you grow.
    - Be careful of this place: has all the ingredients to be a great place where you can contribute: important and impactful mission and good colleagues but the managers, in general, will make your time here miserable with constant micromanaging and adversarial actions. Turn over rate is very high. Your helpful opinions are not wanted.

Advice to Management

- You will not be able to attract and hold great workers for long under your current management style. You can get the most out of your people and still raise productivity at the same time by mentoring your people and helping them grow.

7. "Regulatory Review & Disclosure Review Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Regulatory Review & Disclosure Review Coordinator in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work for Management proactive

Cons

Time limit for Contract length should be expanded

"A lot has changed"

Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still somewhat stable
    Good benefit package
    Good work-life balance

Cons

Quality is eroding
    Undergoing tremendous change
    Management is staid

Advice to Management

Embrace ideas from the rank-and-file.

"Admin"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a good experience. Your system did not allow me to enter the correct year, which was a couple years earlier.

Cons

I was afraid of my boss and his threatful actions. I alerted human resource and the personnel that worked directly for him, (they were my superiors also) and was told: "don't feel special".

"Some SDET positions are actually Tester Positions."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back environment.
    Decent salary among DC metro.
    People in FINRA are all really really nice.
    WFH flexibility.

Cons

When the recruiter contacted me, she sent me the job description which said I will spend 70% of my time doing development work and 30% of my time doing testing work. As a matter of fact, I spend 80% of my time creating test data using Excel and 20% of my time figuring out how to work around some internal tools.

Before going to interview, they sent me some information about SDET in Microsoft and let me thought that SDET is a position to write testing framework and that there will be testers to perform testing.

During interview, they asked Java/SQL questions and I thought I probably will write Java/SQL. But in day-to-day work, I don't even get assigned to write SQL because I am a SDET in FINRA AKA Tester. (They don't have Tester in FINRA. SDET IS TESTER) During interview, I asked is there any difference between SDET and Tester; they said SDET will do both development and testing work. In reality, if you are proactive and lucky enough, you will spend 5% of your time to work on testing framework. I am basically a SQL tester in FINRA.

Once I got into the company, I spent a week to work on a 4-year-old / out-dated orientation documents. There was no useful onboard training and on boarding can be really painful for some of the new hires.

It is almost impossible to internally transfer to other groups or roles, though they say you can always switch to another group or roles during interview. That is not the truth. I have already worked as a tester for 3 years and talked with them a couple of times but I don't see any sign that they will convert me to real development role.

They place developers in testing positions and call them SDETs. SDET in FINRA is not real SDET. If you are a developer. DON'T GO TO THEIR SDET POSITION. CAREER DEAD END FOR DEVELOPER.

Advice to Management

Be honest to your future candidates about what they will do. Good people will come and stay.