FISHER PRINTING Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Overall Good Company to work for"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Orange, CA

I worked at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, co workers, supporting upper management and pay is fair.

Cons

It is a family owned business so you do have you up and downs.

Advice to Management

Communicate it does amazing things

2. "Working for Fisher Printing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented business that is focused in people, processes and technology. A progressive thinking company that continues to invest in the printing and digital media space.

Cons

Lots to do and not enough hours in the day

Advice to Management

Stay the course, things are moving in the right direction

3. "Best Job ive ever had!"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Orange, CA

Pros

Flexible schedules, Everyone works to help each other, Owners are young and encourage employees to be creative. Great place to learn InDesign for ad building. Management makes the job easy. Sales Department is so entertaining they make the environment fun.

Cons

Not alot of Photoshop work which i enjoy.

Advice to Management

Keep taken care of the employees.

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Orange, CA

Pros

Stress free environment, get paid weekly, flexible hours.

Cons

work can be repudiative, but then what isn't?

Advice to Management

Management is GREAT! Easy going no one breathing down ur neck. If i have a problem i can talk to them about anything. Some complain about the company, but when I listen too them its mainly due to personal problems. If your not happy move on. Its a free country.

5. "High Employee Turnover Rate, Management lacks knowledge of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

•Friendly Coworkers •Somewhat flexible work hours
    •You'll learn keyboard shortcuts out of necessity

Cons

•High employee turnover rate.
    •Mismatched fonts & program versions, database problems
    •Shorthanded
    •Strict 40 hours regardless of amount of work

Advice to Management

After working in the Art Department for a couple years I've experienced the workflow getting steadily worse. We once had tightly knit teams that are now very understaffed. What once was a full office with every cubicle filled there are now many empty desks. If someone tries to take a vacation or a sick day that persons absence affects everyone.

Competent people are stretched very thin without much reward except more work. Management is very strict with a 40 hour week in spite of the fact that there is too much work and not enough people to do it. If you do go over the 40 by a couple of minutes, (Say to answer the phone or do last minute corrections) they shave off those minutes from your check. It's a kind of cheap penny pinching that grates at even the sanest of employees.

Management tries to come up with pre press "solutions" but doesn't listen to it's employees when they tell them that something doesn't work. (Say a new program for instance) Adobe versions and fonts vary from computer to computer and the database doesn't get updated on a regular basis anymore, which makes finding images and completing ads more difficult and frustrating then in years past.

My advice to management is to please listen to it's employees when they tell you there is a problem. Also keep the teams fully staffed so there aren't as many holes as there have been. Value experience, don't treat us like we are disposable like the ads we create.

So much is sacrificed just to save a buck, but high turnover rate costs more in the end.

"The Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Pre-Press in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Pre-Press in Orange, CA

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly. Consistent 40 hour work week. Flexible hours (some people come in at 7:30 am, others at 10 am). My co-workers are decent people and the little interaction I get with them is what gets me through the day. I can listen to my iPod while I work.

Cons

This place is meant for kids just out of high school who know a little InDesign and need the job experience. Stick around for a year so you have something on your resume. This job is also great if you’re desperate. Like a terrible boyfriend, you’ll learn quickly what you want and don’t want, and that will be of tremendous value while you’re looking for something else (and, deargod, start looking for something else immediately).

Pay is terrible, slightly over minimum wage. No raises or cost of living increases. No opportunity for promotion. Healthcare is alright, not great. I wonder if how they dole out vacation time is legal? I’ve been here over a year and I still don’t have vacation time yet. It’s pretty much impossible to plan your holidays, especially if you want to go out of town, so don’t bother.

Don't expect to ever be greeted or even acknowledged by the owners or managers. They ignore anyone who isn't management or reception. They hate each other and spend their time fighting, having NSFW conversations, and strutting around the office. They don't wash their hands after using the restroom, which makes me grateful they don't acknowledge my existence and shake my hand (perhaps I should put that under "pros").

The work is repetitive and not challenging, and the company doesn't provide incentives.

There are allergens in the office -- people are always sneezing or coughing. The air conditioning is almost never at the right temperature. It's 60 degrees indoors in the winter and 80-90 degrees in the summer. When an employee consulted Human Resources about the summer temperature, the response was, “I know it’s hot in here but it’s even hotter outdoors.”

Morale among employees is low. I can tell no one really wants to be there. Like I said, the best part of my day is interacting with my co-workers. The saddest part is once a conversation reaches the 5-minute mark we're told to, “Get back to work because the bosses are watching.”

The bottom line is, apply here and take the job if you’re desperate.

Advice to Management

OMG get into a spaceship and set a course for Andromeda. Take the Kardashians with you.

"Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fisher Printing has set them selves a great stepping stone for people looking for a job to gain some quick experience and then move one. They offer a flexible and casual work environment and the hours are consistent.

Cons

Compensation is not up to par with the industry. They offer very little to no overtime and unfortunately they have set them selves as a short term place of work for most employees.

Advice to Management

Start investing in your teams and show that you value your employees. This will allow you to build strength in your departments and help grow you business. Start implementing quotas and or enforce requirements for your sales staff to keep them in check and not allow them to dictate how the business is run.

8. "Great place to learn and practice new skills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have flexible hours but deadlines that need to be met.
    Ability to learn new skills.

Cons

They pay is not competitive. The work environment is stressful typically doing at least 2 peoples jobs. They cut for approx 3 months

Advice to Management

Invest in good workers and make sure you have enough staffing.
    Take time to show appreciation for the staff and the hard work they do.

9. "Egos are Sinking the Ship!"

Current Employee - Drone in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Drone in Orange, CA

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I still have a job and I have never had problems cashing my checks! We are fortunate to have a great business model in our Chicago plant that we can leach financially off of while these idiots dump this plant down the drain.

Cons

Names on the wall are there by names only. They aren't even qualified to ask "would you like fries with that?" They wish their bank accounts were half as big as their egos. Completely clueless and completely hopeless. I remember the days of working for their father. I miss the days of working for their father. Im surprised we still have clients. Employees out look is dismal. Moral is down. Employees pay gets cut so spoiled brats get raises for doing nothing but hating each other and sleeping. Owners basic duties include studying the ceiling while laying on the couch, giving yourself a manicure, and hiding so you don't have to talk to the other 2 that have their name on the sign. Whatever, we are used to it HR Dept has failed and continues to fail. Sales dept are too busy bending everyone else over than trying to get more sales. People are used as scapegoats and patsies. This should be a reality show. There used to be a manager we could ask questions from and get answers from. He's gone. Big surprise. He helped people try to be successful. Not a part of the corporate plane. Oh well. Keep writing those checks!!!

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, they won't do it unless it helps drive the company further down the dumps.

10. "Completely worthless company, been working pre press for over 10 years."

Current Employee - Production Artist in Orange, CA

I have been working at FISHER PRINTING full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am paid every week by direct deposit. There are a few good people that I work directly with and that's about it.

Cons

As other very accurate reviews already stated, the company is being run (into the ground) by spoiled rich kids. It's beyond obvious that the owners only care about getting more money, they've already been walking all over their employees to get it for years now.

Management is completely clueless and incompetent and only cares about their own agendas. Special privaleges (discrimination) are afforded to those that are "in" with the owners. I've seen my manager sleeping at his desk multiple times, when he is actually at his desk.

Even though there are a few good coworkers, this company has demoralized most of the others and many many employees are disgruntled.

The pay is laughable at best and no raises have been given in 8 years.

Advice to Management

In all seriousness, the greedy, narcissistic owners need to leave and a completely new (and competent) management team needs to be hired.