FKQ Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lisa Faller

1. "Good Opprotunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Pros

Great opportunity for growth. Learn a lot, and there is never a dull moment. Very client centric, and the digital team is fantastic. If you have a good work ethic, a good attitude and a team spirit you will do well.

Cons

Work-life balance...there is none. There are expectations to stay after hours or work after hours to hit unrealistic client deadlines. While management would never tell you you need to stay, there are often passive aggressive repercussions if you don't follow the norm.

Advice to Management

Support employees when they need to push back in unrealistic client deadlines or expectations. Take notice and reward those core team members that work hard and generate results to prove it. Hire support for the roles and departments that could use it.

"not good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at FKQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers nice, lots of place to go for lunch

Cons

Too much work for the money

Advice to Management

Pay you good employees more money and get out the old wood

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Pros

There really aren't any. Others comment on good compensation; I'd say it's average at best and most certainly NOT worth the level and stress and expectation that you will work 24/7.

Oh wait, the food. They did it big for clients and were generous with their employees as far as parties and what not.

Cons

Unfriendly, overworked, miserable people.

It's one thing to have to work hard, it's another to work hard in an environment that is confrontational and not collaborative.

Management receives and reads EVERY email that comes in and out of the agency. Picks and chooses when to get involved. Will expect that you will respond to clients at all hours of the day. And will call you out if you do not do so according to their ever-changing expectations.

Advice to Management

Get out of the weeds. Focus on strategy and business development and let your people do their jobs. Reward, acknowledge and appreciate your good people. It's wonderful to put your clients first but, not at the expense of your talent's mental health.

"Never Again"

Former Employee - Client Services in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Client Services in Clearwater, FL

Pros

Most people are nice once you get to know them, and are very hard workers. They hold some office events and the holiday party was very generous.

I did learn to be a machine that didn't make mistakes, and went without water or bathroom breaks.

Great environment for workaholics or anyone who bases their worth almost solely on their job.

Cons

This varies by department (some people seemed really happy), but my experience was downright horrific. There is zero work-life balance: you are expected to arrive early and your day will not end no matter how efficient you have been on your end. I was constantly stuck at the office waiting for coworkers to complete jobs and often received a lot of sass and spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to corral people into to doing their work despite not being their supervisor, or even working in the same department. That being said, everyone is overworked and client projects are sometimes shunted aside for trivial internal items such as the company Christmas card, which seems to take about 6 months (hence some of the delay by my coworkers.) You learn not to make happy hour or dinner plans with anyone before 9pm.

Expectations for employees are unrealistic and borderline crazy (think the Devil Wears Prada.) Despite coming from a large operation with lots of contacts in the area and professional experience, I was treated like a complete noob until they assessed I was fit to work in their mold. I don't think they let anyone outside the company know I existed for the first 3 weeks and even after that the level of work they started me out with was demeaning for my position.

Once I was finally allowed to communicate with the outside world, I was practically crucified for once typing "please let me know if you have any questions" in an email instead of "please let US know" - they felt the former was not communicating that the agency was a team environment and the attitude is that they do not want clients attached to any ONE person - everything goes through everyone.

Energy goes into unimportant things like memorizing and purchasing each client's favorite soda - God help me the day someone dared asked for caffeine free diet coke in a meeting when all I had was regular diet coke, and organizing email addresses in hierarchical order in the "to:" field before sending them. I was once even told to bring two outfits (a suit, and one with jeans) to wear for a meeting because on a previous visit, that particular client had made a comment that he "thought the office was a casual, so why were we all wearing suits?" When I jokingly asked my boss which outfit I should show up in, and if we were supposed to have a bat signal that meant "run and change" when the client arrived, he did not see the humor in it.

You need to be FAST. All client emails need to be answered very quickly and one day I made the mistake of trying to go pick up lunch - I received 60 emails in 30 minutes and had to rush back to stem the flow of my rapidly filling inbox. (There were no issues or fires, just your standard workflow.) Another time I tried to meet my husband for lunch and I had to run back to the office in the middle to send something out for my boss that just couldn't wait (the items are on a server you can't access from your phone) who was OOO. You become one of those crazy people who cannot be separated from their phone - even just for a lunch break.

Yet another day I ended up in the emergency room and called my coworker to give her an update that I was in the hospital, being administered morphine, and waiting on an MRI and would be out the rest of the day and possibly longer. Her snarky response? "Well can you at least forward me all of your emails with instructions on how to handle? Since you're just lying there." Upon my return she made fun of me for the extra characters in my instruction emails I had sent to her. Not that it wasn't inherently funny, but I was literally in the hospital on an IV full of morphine, and on the heels of such an unreasonable request what did they expect?!

Bottom line, we were worked to the bone at an intensity that quite frankly the pay (there is no overtime so once you start dividing your salary among the hours you are actually working it becomes pretty depressing), and cutesy Halloween parties did not make up for. Despite being offered a generous raise (at least percentage-wise...) at my first anniversary I left for another opportunity. The last two weeks were excruciating. Delivering the news to my boss was met with aggression, and my boss' boss refused to look me in the eye or address me for the remainder of my time in the office. No matter that I was supposedly a valued employee or that I had contributed a great deal (as my review and offered raise would suggest) - I was immediately deemed persona non grata.

I would not recommend working here unless you are very desperate. Like a step away from homelessness desperate.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate what is reasonable to expect of your employees and if at that point your strategy is still to churn and burn through people, don't act like it's the ultimate betrayal when they leave.

"creative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Pros

The pro is above scale compensation for the market, and the individuals who have been tricked into also thinking this is a real ad agency.

Cons

This in no longer a relevant ad agency. This is s place where creativity goes to retire. It is run by dis functional family members who are riding on their father's coat tails. You will be doing Christmas cards and endless power points 100+ pages to justify your existence.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending. You are a glorified production house!

"Think before you sign..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at FKQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Lots of fun activities to celebrate and release from the daily work load. Most employees are friendly and easy to talk to. Great IT department there to help whenever necessary. Uses Mac computers perfect for agency work. Good amount of PTO dependent upon length of employment. Newly renovated kitchen. Lots of nearby restaurants for lunch. Biweekly pay.

Cons

Family run business without much room for advancement. Family members are well taken care of but will low ball employees when it comes to salary. Limited insurance plan perfect for employees making a high ranged salary but for those making less salary wise insurance will take a large amount out of your check. Management won't be happy for employees who decide to terminate employment to better themselves and will retaliate with no severance pay. Selfish management who love to talk about themselves and the things they purchase but never really get to know you. Poor team structures, with management who love to have their egos stroked and enforce their "authority".

Advice to Management

Invest time into really getting to know your employees and creating a reciprocal relationship. Talk less about how much money you spend and be sensitive to the fact that some of your employees are making shockingly low salaries at a company that makes millions of dollars each year. Make company rules and regulations equal for all employees, not just family. Make sure that upper level management, both male and female, are effective communicators. Truly be happy for employees who decide to advance themselves, after all isn't that what it's really about?

"Team oriented, family environment"

Former Employee - Traffic Manager/Production Specialist in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Traffic Manager/Production Specialist in Clearwater, FL

I worked at FKQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management does a great job recognizing their people. They are always planning fun activities and events at the office and letting you know how much they appreciate you. Great place to learn and grow. No shortage of opportunities to stand out and be recognized. All ideas and thoughts are shared and valued when in comes to client initiatives. Your input is always appreciated there.

Cons

Lack of organizational structure and no emphasis on operational planning. The company is ran by female salespeople and managers with no regard for process and operations. You have to be like them and in their clique to advance there.

Advice to Management

Implement organizational charts, define and train on responsibilities, hold people accountable for their performance. Get rid of the dead weight.

"Amazing company, couldn't imagine working anywhere else."

Current Employee - Assistant PR Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant PR Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at FKQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been apart of the FKQ team for couple of years now and absolutely love it here. The company culture is high energy with a work hard, play hard attitude. Plenty of opportunities for personal and career growth. The staff is so friendly and enjoyable to work with. The diverse client roster keeps it interesting and stimulating.

Cons

Gotta have strong work ethic, it's fast-paced. So if you're a turtle, may not be best fit.

Advice to Management

The Exec team is wonderful, super approachable and have genuine interest in their employees. Love the new renovations! Thank you.

"FKQ Advertising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at FKQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a very casual dress code. The people that work there are mostly friendly, normal people. The work is very easy. Management has strong family values.

Cons

The management is extremely unprofessional. Company is a family-run operation, as it has always been. The office is not maintained well and is outdated. The practices are very old-fashioned. Poor benefits. Awkward and distasteful events and decorations, year-round. Industry standard software and resources not available due to monetary constraints.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people and resources.

"Poor management and lack of innovation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at FKQ full-time

Pros

Happy Hours/Dinners/strong agency feel/fun creative pit

Cons

poor management/leadership, lack of strong resources in digital media/marketing, poor working conditions, poor employee benefits

Advice to Management

Be more innovative and don't just share what other companies are seeing in digital media/marketing...give a POV or have your own stance on the market. Invest more resources/people and have clearer defined level (s) of management.