FLIR Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Jim Cannon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • This is a very disjointed company where everyone is afraid they may lose their job if they don't follow the lame instructions from upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to Grow your Career"

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since joining FLIR 13yrs ago, I've been given the tools and environment to really grow in my career. The technology is really cool and the team I have worked with is driven and focused on serving our customers with top notch solutions. My management chain has always been fantastic!

Cons

FLIR is a fast paced, complex corporate structure; so sometimes it can feel overwhelming. But if you enjoy a high tech, dynamic environment, it can be an exhilarating opportunity.

2. "Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technology, interesting collection of international customers. Ability to transfer within the company to other departments or division and try new roles (e.g. example of engineers moving to product management). Good civic involvement (charity donations and support for charity events). Excellent benefits. Good compensation. Company and divisions are small enough that you feel like you can impact stock price.

Cons

Usual high tech development with lack of staffing and too many projects. Company has somewhat of an identity crisis. Management would like employees to fully immerse themselves in their career (think high tech startup) but company isn’t quite there in terms of benefits (e.g. free meals for those working late). The decor for a number of the sites is outdated with nondescript low budget office furniture but fortunately management has recognized this and sites are slowly being updated and open areas/exercise facilities are being built

"Great Company/Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and knowing what we do in our jobs helps keep our Military and country safe.

Cons

FLIR is a fast paced, sometimes training can lack for new employees, and that can be overwhelming to others.

"Great People and Technology"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to innovate and advance the state of the art is significant. The products we produce have positive impacts on people's lives. The people I work with are great. The benefits and compensation are competitive.

Cons

FLIR is spread out all over the US and world (the result of acquisitions). The different locations don't always collaborate as well as might be expected. Centralized services often make policies for the whole company that ignore significant differences between locations.

Advice to Management

The people who are responsible for centralized services should have to come onsite and interact meaningfully with their internal customers at least once a year for every major location.

"A great place to work!!"

Current Employee - FSO/Site QA Lead/Assembly Production Manager in Freeport, PA
    Current Employee - FSO/Site QA Lead/Assembly Production Manager in Freeport, PA

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love being part of a team that "Gives the good guys the unfair advantage against the bad guys". I feel I am making a positive contribution to a company that makes a difference in the world.
    The job and the work are interesting, challenging and rewarding.

Cons

The hiring process can take a little longer than other companies our size.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at FLIR full-time

Pros

Great people, excellent benefits, leader in the field

Cons

Career paths are not well defined

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!!

"Territory Sales Representative"

I worked at FLIR full-time

Pros

FLIR is the most established and trusted company in the infrared camera marketplace. The products are fun to sell, and they give you the freedom to create your routes along key strategic accounts. They also have great perks and benefits.

Cons

TSR territories covered multiple states, and travel is a must almost every week. It was a new position when it was created in 2014, and it was focused around a new company initiative of getting stocking displays in distribution stores. Stores mostly focused their in-store displays around lower priced commodities/consumables, and fighting for test and measurement space was difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Keep advancing the higher-end camera lines. Continuing to lower the price of infrared cameras could cheapen the brand.

8. "Great company to work for."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at FLIR as an intern

Pros

Great environment
    Good people
    Good opportunities
    Interesting work

Cons

Can be a bit slow. I was an intern though

9. "Awesome company!!"

Former Employee - Senior Training and Certification Administrative in North Billerica, MA

I worked at FLIR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great management! Great company to work for!!

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. "8 years"

I worked at FLIR full-time

Pros

used to have a reputation for high quality hand held cameras, not so much any more too much emphasis on

Cons

too much focus on distribution, not enough on product quality, lots of complaints in recnet years