FLIR Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Jim Cannon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • This is a very disjointed company where everyone is afraid they may lose their job if they don't follow the lame instructions from upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to Grow your Career"

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since joining FLIR 13yrs ago, I've been given the tools and environment to really grow in my career. The technology is really cool and the team I have worked with is driven and focused on serving our customers with top notch solutions. My management chain has always been fantastic!

Cons

FLIR is a fast paced, complex corporate structure; so sometimes it can feel overwhelming. But if you enjoy a high tech, dynamic environment, it can be an exhilarating opportunity.

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible work schedule. Autonomy to do job and make decisions about my work.

FLIR really cares about their employees health and wellbeing. They provide added benefits with onsite gyms, fitness subsidies, and wellness resources in addition to comprehensive health insurance.

Cons

Limited headcount and expected to do several jobs. Complex company structure with several business units which can make it challenging to navigate within FLIR.

Advice to Management

Look at a staffing models before you lose key employees. We provide an amazing product but burnout is inevitable at the rate we are growing if we don't allocate additional resources.

3. "Great Company/Great People"

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and knowing what we do in our jobs helps keep our Military and country safe.

Cons

FLIR is a fast paced, sometimes training can lack for new employees, and that can be overwhelming to others.

"Great People and Technology"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to innovate and advance the state of the art is significant. The products we produce have positive impacts on people's lives. The people I work with are great. The benefits and compensation are competitive.

Cons

FLIR is spread out all over the US and world (the result of acquisitions). The different locations don't always collaborate as well as might be expected. Centralized services often make policies for the whole company that ignore significant differences between locations.

Advice to Management

The people who are responsible for centralized services should have to come onsite and interact meaningfully with their internal customers at least once a year for every major location.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work we do is interesting, the product we make is cool, and the people who use it in the field are grateful. Overall, FLIR is a great place to work.

Cons

As with many older companies, FLIR struggles with systems that were put in place a long time ago and updated repeatedly over time. This can lead to difficult to resolve gaps in various processes. Most of this is overcome by having a lot of talented co-workers.

Advice to Management

Push down time allocation for long term improvement projects.

"A great place to work!!"

Current Employee - FSO/Site QA Lead/Assembly Production Manager in Freeport, PA
    Current Employee - FSO/Site QA Lead/Assembly Production Manager in Freeport, PA

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love being part of a team that "Gives the good guys the unfair advantage against the bad guys". I feel I am making a positive contribution to a company that makes a difference in the world.
    The job and the work are interesting, challenging and rewarding.

Cons

The hiring process can take a little longer than other companies our size.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at FLIR full-time

Pros

Great people, excellent benefits, leader in the field

Cons

Career paths are not well defined

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!!

"Territory Sales Representative"

I worked at FLIR full-time

Pros

FLIR is the most established and trusted company in the infrared camera marketplace. The products are fun to sell, and they give you the freedom to create your routes along key strategic accounts. They also have great perks and benefits.

Cons

TSR territories covered multiple states, and travel is a must almost every week. It was a new position when it was created in 2014, and it was focused around a new company initiative of getting stocking displays in distribution stores. Stores mostly focused their in-store displays around lower priced commodities/consumables, and fighting for test and measurement space was difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Keep advancing the higher-end camera lines. Continuing to lower the price of infrared cameras could cheapen the brand.

"Accounts payable"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in North Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in North Billerica, MA

I worked at FLIR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company and benefits but that doesn't outweigh the bad managers they will bully badger and harass you to get numbers.

Cons

they give no consideration to new employee learning curve. You may know your job but every employee has their own company policy's. Management doesn't care they only care about number. A. Implant that is constantly looking for employees within a particular dept. proves that bad management is the reason that good employees flee.

Advice to Management

Learn how to respect and give dignity to your employees. Happy employees will naturally go above and beyond. But to expect your employees to give up their holidays is a deplorable company!
    I' never give reviews but people need to be informed and there are much better managers out in the working world . Don't waste your time unless you love being unhappy.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It looks a lot better from the outside. They provide many benefits you don't need and not the ones you would like.

Cons

It isn't the company it once was. Imagine a company made up entirely of acquisitions and the people acquiring them aren't familiar with the products or the industry. Look at how many acquisitions and then how many sell offs or closures. It's like someone trying on shoes by buying them with someone else's (shareholder) money.

Advice to Management

If I knew today what I knew when I joined....I wouldn't have.