FLIR Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • This is a very disjointed company where everyone is afraid they may lose their job if they don't follow the lame instructions from upper management (in 5 reviews)

"Okay"

Current Employee - Tech in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Tech in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work, not very stressful (until quarter end).

Cons

No care for employees. Pay is not good (only 3% increases). Benefits team doesn't help with issues, no advancement opportunities. Employee events/activites are half hearted.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Hold people accountable

"Management compensating for incompetence"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

A few good people in odd places.

Cons

This is a very disjointed company where everyone is afraid they may lose their job if they don't follow the lame instructions from upper management. People in upper management like to yell and make-up things (lie) to get their points across. In fact they are hiding their incompetencies.

Advice to Management

Grow-up

"Flir Systems"

Current Employee - Finance in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Finance in Billerica, MA

I have been working at FLIR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, everybody really wants to help each other. One of the few companies that I have been at where everyone has the same goal.

Cons

Segmented business units, with separate hierarchy tends to be prohibitive for scaling the business.

Advice to Management

Continue to push, when someone stumbles let them know, and discuss what went wrong and why.

4. "Awesome company!!"

Former Employee - Senior Training and Certification Administrative in North Billerica, MA

I worked at FLIR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great management! Great company to work for!!

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Sales Support"

I have been working at FLIR full-time

Pros

Benefits are better than average

Cons

Departments are understaffed, there is no training, upper and middle management are unresponsive , building in need of maintenance, the company does not offer much regarding annual raises-they normally don't even cover a cost of living increase

Advice to Management

Provide clear direction and training, answer your emails, get input and study before you make changes

"Anonymous"

I worked at FLIR full-time

Pros

FLIR manufactures great products, the technology is amazing. It was great working for a company that helps to keep our nation safe. I worked with some great people; who I looked at as my extended family.

Cons

FLIR today is not the same company that I started working at many years ago. The biggest problem is the new management regime; they are totally unprofessional and need grooming in their people skills. The lines of communication between management and their employees is non existent. Upper management totes this notion of the 3C's; which is theory sounds like a great approach, but this is not carried through. I was sad to leave but without the support of management it was very difficult to do my job and I felt I had no other choose.

Advice to Management

FLIR is losing a lot of great employees, these employees are assets that helped build this organization to what is, please take a look at why the turnover rate is high. Their are managers in positions that they are not qualified for; they are not supportive of their employees and have a holy than thou outlook. Mr. Lewis do not build this company for it to fail and have a horrible reputation.

7. "Advanced technology used very widely"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Billerica, MA

I worked at FLIR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent advanced IR technology product line and training. Involvement with all levels of professional personnel and opportunity to use products.

Cons

Department I was working in was dissolved. Products not being sold with pertinent attention to needs of specific industrial segments.

Advice to Management

More frequent training sessions at lower cost to promote the use of your products by certified operators and seed demand for further sales. Use by noncertified users can undermine the reputation of iR thermography by resulting in inaccurate evaluations or worse.

"Quality Engineer"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in North Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in North Billerica, MA

Pros

Great place to learn hands-on quickly. Can earn a great amount of money. Always plenty to stay busy with. Flexible work schedule...depending on your manger

Cons

Engineering is grossly under resourced. They promise that resources will be viable when the time comes and you're left holding the bag. Alot o" old Flir" ways of thinking alive and well in management.

Advice to Management

Give the engineers the resources they need and stop making engineering the" beast of burden"come layoff, and cut back time. Also don't promise to hire help and then pull the rug out from under the engineering team at the 11th hour.Don't encourage bad management or an unprofessional environment simply because a manager is an asset technically. The best engineer does not necessrily make a good manager.

9. "8 years"

I worked at FLIR full-time

Pros

used to have a reputation for high quality hand held cameras, not so much any more too much emphasis on

Cons

too much focus on distribution, not enough on product quality, lots of complaints in recnet years

10. "Software Test Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at FLIR (More than a year)

Pros

FLIR is a great company to work at. The teams are small and the work is engaging. The location is great. There's a lot going on.

Cons

The company is still growing. I'd like to see how the company defines its workflow as it moves into a consumer market with FLIR ONE