FLSmidth Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
FLSmidth Group Chief Executive Officer Thomas Schulz
Thomas Schulz

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management, Work Expectations, International Projects (in 10 reviews)

• Uncertainties: Job security since last 2-3 years (in 9 reviews)

1. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at FLSmidth (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employees here are mostly friendly and helpful. Upper management (at the U.S. office) is relatively accessible. Benefits and pay are relatively decent. Management also focuses on employee development with access to training programs and tuition reimbursement for bachelors or masters degrees.

Cons

Cyclical industry in mining and cement make it a tough and scary industry to be in during the down times. Room for advancement within the company comes and goes with the market. Generation "gap" is concerning, since hiring younger people/college grads within the past few years has been non-existent. Technical and backoffice work (i.e. ENGINEERING) is slowly being outsourced to low cost countries.

Advice to Management

Management should try to be less tone-deaf when they throw a huge catered party with a live band, booze, dinner, dancing, etc., for the Danish office, and all they give us in the U.S. office is free lunch.

2. "Product Engineer"

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Spokane, WA

I worked at FLSmidth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FLSmidth was generally a good place to work. It paid employees adequately and had good benefits. The company was lenient with personal schedules and invested in the education and training of its employees

Cons

Employees were looked at as resources. When the company struggled it often misled employees that a location would not be shut down moving people from one location to another and then letting them go shortly after following a complete uprooting of their family.

Advice to Management

People are valuable. Treat them accordingly. Stop paying for employees to move all around the world while the company continues to struggle.

"Not recomendded"

Former Employee - Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Midvale, UT

I worked at FLSmidth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good people. Great building in a good location. Salary and benefits are decent.

Cons

Most of the management come from a small company mentality and aren't able to transition to the large company environment created by merging into FLSmidth. Many of the managers need to learn that the customer is more important than their egos allow.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with customers and employees that may know more about what they are doing than you think.

5. "Poor Management"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at FLSmidth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and Salary, People, Location

Cons

Upper Management, Work Expectations, International Projects

6. "Awesome place to work for!"

Current Employee - Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at FLSmidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Downsizing and restructuring can take a hit on morale.

7. "Superviso"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fraziers Btm, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fraziers Btm, WV

I worked at FLSmidth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work place new building huge work areas any tools you may need to do your job

Cons

Work is slow for the first two weeks of the month then it's all you can stand to work the last two weeks of the month to get the monthly quota.

Advice to Management

Get the blue prints out earlier to the workers on the floor

8. "Excellent company to work at"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Quality Engineer/Speciaist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at FLSmidth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Multilingual and multicutural global company.

Cons

The company faces the downturns of mining industry.

Advice to Management

Create alternative markets to enhance sales and prevent the company to face the downturns of mining industry.

9. "Great history, uncertain future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

Pros

FLSmidth has a great history of doing projects in both cement and minerals processing throughout the world. They have a global presence and have developed a name brand recognition, especially with respect to their cement plants.

Cons

FLSmidth has been impacted with the slowdowns in the minerals processing industry and struggles to find the right organization to effectuate change and efficient operations.

Advice to Management

Determine the most important problem to resolve and then ensure it is satisfactorily resolved without constantly reorganizing the company.

10. "Field Service Resource Manager"

Former Employee - Field Service Resource Manager in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Field Service Resource Manager in Midvale, UT

I worked at FLSmidth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started working with the company in as a administrative assistant moving my way up to field service coordinator and ultimately field service resource manager. I worked with a wonderful team and a fantastic group of colleagues over my 20+ years with the company.

Cons

I lost my job during the "reduction in force" occurring October 2016 along with over one hundred people, many middle - management folks like myself.

Advice to Management

I do wish to give advice to management since I do not work there any longer.

11. "The Good Ol' Boys Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I worked at FLSmidth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work with people from around the world, this is the place for you. I had a boss from Denmark, followed by a boss from Finland. We had employees from Australia, England, France, India, and a variety of other countries working at our Midvale location.

Cons

FLSmidth has the tendency to outsource its jobs to other countries (India, in particular) to save money. When I first started, several people from India were in-house for several weeks. learning the ropes of the accounting department from the employees whose jobs they would be taking over at the end of training. Not exactly a morale booster.

Advice to Management

Keep the jobs in the USA. If you do transfer jobs to India, don't make the people losing the jobs train the people taking the jobs from them.