FM Global Reviews

3.5
FM Global President & CEO Thomas A. Lawson
Thomas A. Lawson
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance has been on the decline for a couple of years(in 15 reviews)

• "Does not offer work from home or telecommuting arrangements(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Thank you for your leadership during this challenging time"

Current Employee - Staff Engineering

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We've come through a few tough years which caused some of us to question and even sometimes have doubts about our company. The 2019 positive operating results were encouraging, lifted morale and dispelled those doubts. But the game-changer is the understanding and commitment from our CEO to all employees during the pandemic crisis. We haven't missed a beat thanks to our people and technology. While the lives and livelihoods of so many have been seriously impacted, the solidity of FM Global means we can remain strong for our families.

Cons

None that would be meaningful in the context of what we're living through, and the great things our CEO and company are doing.

FM Global2020-05-14
  2. "great company"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

cradle to grave opportunity, very employee conscious, independent working environment

Cons

you have a independent working environment so it is up to you to succeed and advance in your career. Management is there to help but you have to have a strong work ethic to take advantage of the global opportunities

FM Global2020-05-12

"Incompetent Management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Engineer in Frisco, TX

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits were great... everything else was heading downhill.

Cons

Work life balance has been on the decline for a couple of years. New engineering managers micro manage every aspect of the job. Pay is well below peers. Blatant favoritism for promotions with no regard for competence or ability.

FM Global2020-05-02
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance and job security

Cons

Some people feel entitled

FM Global2020-04-02

"Behind the Curve for Technologists"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, RI

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stability, retirement and medical benefits, total compensation

Cons

The technology utilized by the company is 10 years behind the curve. DevOps practices are relegated to groups outside the teams. Agile transformation was solely focused to one side of the IT department and previous managers are still in charge (ie titles changed but behaviors didn’t).

FM Global2020-03-03

"The Grass is Greener at FM Global"

Current Employee - Communications Associate

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

While the company has been going through a lot of changes in recent years (which can understandably make some employees who have been with the company for a long time feel unsettled), most of the changes have truly been for the better. Companies can't stay stagnant or they won't survive. Change is inevitable because the world is always changing. FM Global seems to be always looking to improve, to be more responsive to its clients and employees, to be even a stronger company and better positioned for the future -- both for its clients and employees. There's a reason why the company was been around for 185 years. and just came off one of its best years ever. I, along with all other employees, got a huge bonus this year, as a result of company performance. I've been with the company for many years. I love the people, the culture and the sense of purpose behind this organization.

Cons

Some people have worked for the company way too long and have gotten lazy, complacent and developed a feeling of entitlement. Part of the issue, it seems, stems from the fact that it's hard to get fired from FM Global. While every organization has pockets of these type of people, it would be good if the company made more of an effort to clear those small pockets of 'dead wood.' Fortunately, the vast majority of employees are highly driven and committed to adding value every day and continuing to make the company a great organization.

FM Global2020-02-13
  7. "A good solid company after the merger"

4.0
    Former Employee - Operations Chief Inspector in Chicago, IL

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits and job security is solid.

Cons

Engineering side of the business consumes many hours beyond a 40 hour work week to complete reports on time and reports involving management responsibilities

FM Global2020-02-01

"Still a Great Place - Needs a management overhaul"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. The people in the operations are fantastic and work together to run the company. 2. Defined Benefit Pension 3. Good work / life balance 4. Complex and interesting problems to solve 5. The new head of HR is trying to modernize the company

Cons

1. Base Salaries about 60-70% of our peers. 2. No career development unless you are an engineer (even if the role has nothing to do with engineering) and willing to move for basically no money. 3. Local management does not understand the pressures of dual income families. 4. Corporate Offices / Management are out of touch. Very political as well.

FM Global2020-02-06

"Needs a change"

1.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pension plan is the only good thing.

Cons

Management at the operations level needs to be overhauled. They do not appreciate their staff.

FM Global2020-01-28

"A great company that has lost its way"

1.0
    Former Employee - App Dev Analyst in Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy hours. Good commute. Low pressure. If you're the kind that coasts, this place is for you

Cons

Zero career progress. Agile transformation has brought most real work to a stop. Huge amount of new agile people hired no one knows what they do other than set up meetings. Lot of lipstick on the pig by people trying desperately to show that it is working. Tons of busywork. Open seating ensures no one can focus deeply on the work.

FM Global2019-12-20