FM Global 240 Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
FM Global President & CEO Thomas A. Lawson
Thomas A. Lawson

Pros
Cons
  • There is a lot of travel by car, which could be a problem for some people; however work-life balance makes up for it (in 10 reviews)

• Middle management is not empowered to make decisions (in 9 reviews)

1. "Consultant Engineer"

Current Employee - Consultant Engineer
    Current Employee - Consultant Engineer

I have been working at FM Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits package is great, especially for long-term financial security. Everybody has been pleasant to work with. Experienced but aging staff provides opportunities for fast development. Management and the company value employees.

Cons

There is a lot of travel by car, which could be a problem for some people; however work-life balance makes up for it.

2. "Strong, Stable, Long-Term"

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FM Global has been around for over 180 years. Layoffs are non existent. They really try to keep employees long term and view them as investments. This is from an engineer's perspective.

Cons

If quick advancement in career is a desire, relocation is almost necessary, but the insurance industry is not known for a fast pace.

3. "Finance Manager"

I worked at FM Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company lots of opportunities

Cons

there are no cons to this company

5. "FM"

I have been working at FM Global full-time

Pros

excellent benefits and great people to work with

Cons

small annual merit increases and some unfair compensation when compared to other employees

"By far the best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Jurisdictional Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Jurisdictional Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support from management, very good pay, and excellent benefits. Being a mutual company gives management the flexibility to treat the employees well without having to answer to shareholders. There is a very positive attitude about the company from the people who work there.

Cons

None that I've seen in the two years that I have worked here. The company is well run from the top and that filters down to make for a very good work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Not For the Curious"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Plano, TX

I worked at FM Global (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a generous benefits package, including a pension. FM Global is stable, so you will enjoy job security.

Cons

I didn’t realize that FM Global is extremely behind modern trends until I began interviewing with other companies. Employees are discouraged from contacting staff that are higher than their manager. In fact, several colleagues were chastised for answering benign e-mails from a senior manager. The culture is an interesting duality; employees are simultaneously micromanaged while being underutilized. If you join the company as anything other than an engineer, you will never progress past administrative work. Most of the administrative staff watches Netflix on their phones during the day. I am unsure if management is clueless or too busy to care. If you value ideas, innovation, and collaboration FM Global is not the place for you. The company has developed a business model that works, and as long as you are okay with being a cog on their wheel – you will do just fine. If your dream is financial security and a pension, FM Global can absolutely deliver. Conversely, if you want to feel valued, challenged, or if you question the status-quo, you will be miserable.

Advice to Management

You should really spend time studying the values of Millennials. We were brought up differently and desire more than income. Millennials are defined as those born between 1980 -1996, and we are not looking to fill a slot in a faceless company. We want opportunities to invest in a place where we can make a tangible difference, preferably a place that itself makes a difference. Furthermore, we all learned about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs – that’s Psych 101. The FM Global Human Resources Department would do well to study Maslow’s theory as it relates to employee engagement.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at FM Global full-time

Pros

Outstanding leadership and personal support. The training and development opportunities make success easy. Total rewards are huge.

Cons

Most senior management positions (executive spots) and corporate office is located in a cold part of the county.

9. "Research Scientist"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, easy-going co-workers and good work-life balance. Wide array of scientific and engineering projects available to pursue. Great benefit package.

Cons

Culture of always having to be "right" compared to being open to modifying incorrect thinking to come up with the best solution.

Advice to Management

Give more credit to employees for their work rather than using it for self-promotion. Make sure Research communicates well enough with other departments so that the research is useful.

10. "Full Time Employee"

I have been working at FM Global full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

I can't think of any

11. "Client Processing Associate"

Former Employee - Client Processing Associate in Park Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Client Processing Associate in Park Ridge, IL

I worked at FM Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with laid back staff, very helpful, great benefits like 401K, retirement package, medical insurance, dental, eye

Cons

Very less chances of moving up within the organization. Salary is paid less then average market salaries.